Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

Question captain's seats

I have a 36' Journey that I need to replace the 2 front captain's chairs. What brand would give me the most comfortable ride and best back support? And what should I expect the cost to be?
bigdub1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest you start with a good upholstery shop.
They can probably "diagnose" where you want the padding to be stiffer or softer.
Probably get away with reusing (most of) the same fabric too.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
paz

bigdub1956, welcome to iRV2.

If you want to replace the chairs, Flexsteel is the brand used by most motorhome manufacturers. They are available from a variety of sources. Ours are Flexsteel, and they are 6-way power adjustable which makes them pretty comfortable. I haven't seen any with adjustable lumbar support, but maybe I just don't get into enough high-end coaches to see that.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdub1956 View Post
I have a 36' Journey that I need to replace the 2 front captain's chairs. What brand would give me the most comfortable ride and best back support? And what should I expect the cost to be?
Flexsteels are very nice, prices start at around 650.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Flexsteel and Villa are the major RV chair manufacturers.

But "best" or "most comfortable" is a very personal thing. I suggest you try them out personally. Here is one could selection
RV Furniture, Boat Furniture, Flexsteel, Flexsteel Furniture, Villa, Palliser, Lafer, Lambright, Leather Furniture, Bradd & Hall

But why replace the whole chair? Any decent upholstery shop can refurbish yours for less cost, and they can tailor the padding and back support to your wants and needs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the help. I will check out that website and see what I can find. Thanks again.
bigdub1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
bigdub1956, welcome to iRV2.
If you want to replace the chairs, Flexsteel is the brand used by most motorhome manufacturers. I haven't seen any with adjustable lumbar support, but maybe I just don't get into enough high-end coaches to see that.
I don't think my Discovery is classified as a high end coach.
But it did come with Leather Flexsteel seats.
The drivers and passenger chair have a adjustable lumbar support.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #8

Here is one

Bradd and Hall RV Furniture

Most existing motorhome pedestals and six way electric power units will work on these chairs.

Options:
$95 power lumbar
$30 manual slides (not available on footrest chairs)
$35 remote cable activated slides
$20 remote swivel cable
$435 six way power seat
see accessories for pedestal pricing

Model 591:
30" W outside of arms
33" H without pedestal
25" D at bottom of base (with seat back in straight up position)
23.5" between arms
24" seat width
19" seat depth
24" back height (top of seat to top of back)

Flexsteel Captains Chairs offer you the finest in automotive styling and ergonomic comfort. Available coverings include Vinyl, Fabric, *Leather/Vinyl trim (leather where you touch with vinyl on the rest), or Ultraleather.

The cushioning in our Captains Chairs is made of HR (high resiliency) and Viscoelastic foam. These upgrade foams offer body conforming comfort, and provide an even distribution of pressure for extended ride comfort. We offer the most comfortable pillow top captains chairs Flexsteel produces to ensure that you will be completely satisfied
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Here is a selection to look at. Some have leg rests and the prices are in line. The shipping is real expensive but there down in the LA area and will do a will call so you could drive down and pick them up. They build to order so the wait is about five weeks. They will send you samples of the materials they use and you can mix and match on the two tone models.

RV Furniture Seats,Custom Motorhome Leather Seat,Captains Chairs

We were looking at the De Lon LX with the foot rests., but had to cancle our trip to LA this year so will wait till another time.

RV Furniture Seats,Custom Motorhome Leather Seat,DeLeon-LX

Dick
Old 12-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We bought the DeLeon Captains chairs and sofa two years ago. We do not recommend that anybody consider purchasing this product. If we could do it again, we would have our original Villa furniture re-upholstered, or purchase new Villa or Flexsteel product.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Jim

Why wouldn't you recommend a De Leon?

We haven't bought yet and would sure like your input.

Thanks Dick
Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had trouble getting our seats in the agreed time frame. When we finally did get our seats, there were problems getting them to fit into the coach. Once installed, the drivers seat armrests are so high that I can't use them, and I'm a tall man. The passenger seat seat pan is about 22" deep, and 21" above the floor. My wife is petite, so that doesn't work very well for her.

The electric heat and massage proceeded to burn out practically within days of installing the chairs, and the electric footrest quit. The switch for the footrest was broken when assembled. I fit a different switch in and got that working.

My old seats were Villa, and very comfortable. The only issue with them was that the cloth fabric on the seat pans was worn out. I wish we had them re-upholstered. Or, both Villa and Flexsteel are reputable firms.

Friends of ours simply bought the 'looks like leather' seat covers from Camping World. Looks real good.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote