Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Car trailers and Class A Coach's

After posting and then reading up a bit on this subject, do you of those that tow a enclosed car trailer use a weight distributing hitch system? I found one post that asked the question: with such a long wheel base (mine is 276") The gentleman doubted if the hitch system would be able to transfer the weight that far? So if you do have a weight distributing system, how does it work and where did your tounge weight go on your chassis? or trailer? I am wondering who uses a system to distribute weight, and those who don't use anything. Is a weight distributing system needed on a large DP?
(2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 41')
Thank you in advance......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 AM   #2

I think it's not a question of "transferring the weight that far". It's a question of what is the tongue weight and how much of it do you need to transfer so that the coach and trailer ride level and still keep the GCVW and tongue weight under the limits specified by the manufacturer.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
That is the question, No matter how much tongue weight, the air bags will keep it level when weight is put on the rear of the Coach, the air leveler arm will sense this load and put air in the bags to correct. Just like loading a semi trailer, the ride height will be the same after loaded as when it was empty. Maybe more for adjusting the tongue weight on the trailer and they will keep the additional weight off the rear air bags, for a better ride?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I pull a 24' enclosed trailer gross weight just under 10,000 lbs, I use a weight distribution hitch as for the few dollars it costs and few minutes to hook up makes sense for me. Many hitches require weight distribution bars for the 1,000-1,500 lb tongue weight, plus the added comfort of taking some of the load off the air bags on the coach. I also use a sway bar, most of the time not needed, but in some conditions it is very nice to have.

Here is a link that may help explain it better than I can.

HowStuffWorks "How Towing Weight Distribution Systems Work"
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is it needed, depends on your tongue weight. Is it worth the money, absolutely! A good weight distribution hitch will shift the weight off of the tongue and move it forward onto the chassis and load the trailer weight back onto its tires. The best reason for using one is for control, especially when passing a larger vehicle and when driving in a side wind. The equal-i-zer brand has been the best we have ever used.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Just to chime in also....

I pull a 25' enclosed at around 9,90lbs with my 40' Beaver Santiam with a WD hitch and no issues...... Other than the fear of a wrong turn or a steep parking lot entrance/exit. Like what was mentioned, the air ride brings the @ss end back up just fine. I use the WD to bring the porpoising to a minimum. At the weight of a loaded car trailer, almost every hitch I could think of on a DP would require a WD hitch anyhow.

Just my $.02.

Allen
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #7

A WD hitch is always an improvement to ride and handling. I just upgraded to a 26' enclosed trailer that will weigh close to 12,000# when loaded. The tongue will be at 1500#. My coach and hitch are rated for that, but a WD hitch is recommended, which I will use. When you hit a dip in the road or a bump at 50 mph, that 1500# will place an instant 6-7,000# load or more on the hitch and back of the coach. A WD hitch will "Distribute" that load to the frame of the coach and trailer. Which would you rather have?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
been pullin a long itme

Before the MH we pull a 30 ft boat. It weighted with trailer in at about 9K #
The WD Reese hitch made pull that load an ease. Now with our MH we pull a 24 ft. rated 10K. We are using the same 25 year old WD hitch.

A few thoughts on setting it up are worth stating here. The most important is the set up of being level so first make sure your MH air bags are fully inflated before starting the adjustments on the the WD hitch. Now make sure the trailer is on level ground and the trailer is level to the surface. this is easily done with a measure of the ground to the font and rear of the trailer edge. adjust your crank stand to achieve the level.

Now with you MH air bags full back up to the trailer hitch. once aligned turn off the engine because now you will be setting up the elevation of the ball on the receiver assembly to match the tongue connection of the trailer. Now these nuts on the hitch are big and take a lot of torque so before you tighten them down for the final tightening - make sure the top of the ball will be equal to the tongue socket height.

once you are satisfied that the rides are of equal height it is time to setup the WD chains. measure the distance from the ground to the edged of reference area near the ball and record that reading. With the engine still off lower the trailer socket on to the ball and note if the there is a drop in the height.

Now adjust the chain link of the WD bars to bring the elevation back to the original measurement. This will insure that there is a well distributed load transfer and the air bags are not stressed.

When we towed our boat there was only a quarter inch change in the overall measurements of our van front to rear. On the MH we found the proper adjustment altered the rear measurement by about 1 inch. our ride is so smooth that the DW does not even notice it is behind us when she is the operator. She likes to drive fast and pass the big rigs. there is no sway even if we are between two Tractor trailers at 70 mph.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all for your posts so far, I am learning, the more I can learn on here will make setting it up easier when the time comes......this spring.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #10

When I had mine made, I purchased a WD hitch in anticipation of probably needing. My trailer is 23 feet inside and dry weight around 3300 pounds. I have a bunch of stuff in it and I would guess when I put my vehicle in I am in the 8000 pound range. My coach is rated at 1000/10000 pounds. I never felt the need to put it on and sold to a friend.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
When I had mine made, I purchased a WD hitch in anticipation of probably needing. My trailer is 23 feet inside and dry weight around 3300 pounds. I have a bunch of stuff in it and I would guess when I put my vehicle in I am in the 8000 pound range. My coach is rated at 1000/10000 pounds. I never felt the need to put it on and sold to a friend.
Thats interesting Rich, I take that it towed OK for you never to install the WD hitch? Did you notice your Coach riding a bit roughfer? Harder bags in the rear?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
You need to contact the chassis build of your coach to see if it can take the stress of a WD hitch.

My chassis builder (Gillig) specifically states NOT to use a WD hitch.

There is a great deal more stress put on the frame what distributing the weight and gets even greater when travailing over uneven ground.
Gillig only supplied 5,000 pound hitched on the chassis for Fleetwood, but state and sell 10,000 pound hitches for this chassis, but do not recommend using a WD hitch.

So..... check with your chassis build to see what you should do with your hitch.

See the attached.

I use a straight draw hitch towing my dragster trailer and cannot not tell it is there other than the additional weight going up hills.

When towing it with my 1 ton pickup I use a Reese WD hitch with cam lock antisway.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WD hitch user manual instructions.pdf (662.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
You need to contact the chassis build of your coach to see if it can take the stress of a WD hitch.

My chassis builder (Gillig) specifically states NOT to use a WD hitch.

There is a great deal more stress put on the frame what distributing the weight and gets even greater when travailing over uneven ground.
Gillig only supplied 5,000 pound hitched on the chassis for Fleetwood, but state and sell 10,000 pound hitches for this chassis, but do not recommend using a WD hitch.

So..... check with your chassis build to see what you should do with your hitch.

See the attached.

I use a straight draw hitch towing my dragster trailer and cannot not tell it is there other than the additional weight going up hills.

When towing it with my 1 ton pickup I use a Reese WD hitch with cam lock antisway.
Do you know how much tounge weight you have w/trailer loaded, and how much is the trailer weigh in at loaded? thanks....
Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Do you know how much tounge weight you have w/trailer loaded, and how much is the trailer weigh in at loaded? thanks....
Never weighed the tongue, but guess around 800 pounds (only true way to know is to weigh it), trailer is around 8,000

Tags
class a