Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Carefree Awning ratcheting during retraction

Hello,

I know this topic has been covered before, but can't find it using the search function.

When retracting the main awning it gets to a point where it slips or ratchets. I have the motor side cover off, if I apply pressure I can get it to work. I'm about to take off the left cover to see if the problem is there. This has always worked fine until I brought it in to have a slide awning replaced (not the main awning). When I picked it up from service the first time I retracted the main awning the problem started. Wondering if they did something to the main awning?

Any ideas what the problem is? I saw someone in another forum mentioned a tension spring? The metal gears look fine and nothing appears to be "bent".

Thanks!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Everything looks fine on the left side.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to have to put the cover back on and see if I get it closed. I can't see what the problem is.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Carefree Awning ratcheting during retraction

Anyone ?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #4

Clean and lubricate the arms and tracks. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need a new motor. Good luck.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

I would look to see if it has a shear pin or a set screw that's came loose.
It sounds like the motor is still running and you said the gears look good.
Garymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, motor runs and gears look good. The awning seems to be 'slipping' when it rolls. If I vigorously roll it be hand while someone holds the switch on I am able to roll it back up. Somewhere I saw something about a torsion spring? Can't see anything obvious bent, broken or missing....
Old 02-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

The spring(s) are inside of the awning roll tube - 1 or 2 depending on the length of the awning

Sounds like possibly the spring (or one of them) has either broke or slipped and de-tensioned itself

There is normally 6-10 turns of tension on the springs when the awning is completely rolled up - Depends on the model of the awning - Carefree literature should be a resource for this info

Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #8

If the springs are broke you wont hear them slip they just wont assist with the rewind. Does the sound you are hearing come from the motor end(right facing camper) or the spring end(Left) If its the right end have someone push the button with the motor out of the tube and try to make it slip and you should see what is slipping. If its on the left side it is the spring that is bad . Be careful removing it. you may wont to go to youtube and watch videos on replacing springs on awnings.
Garymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Hey all, I'm working on that now. My awning came out on the freeway all by it's self twice! Called carefree and finally discovered the end cap on the right side is worn. Carefree has a different motor and end cap assembly now for replacement. I made a wedge for mine between the end cap and the shaft and it is working so far.Mine does not have a torsion spring.
stinespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinespool View Post
Hey all, I'm working on that now. My awning came out on the freeway all by it's self twice! Called carefree and finally discovered the end cap on the right side is worn. Carefree has a different motor and end cap assembly now for replacement. I made a wedge for mine between the end cap and the shaft and it is working so far.Mine does not have a torsion spring.
This was a long standing problem with powered Carefree awnings made prior to about 2009. The drive shaft gradually makes the hole in the awning end too big for the shaft to get a bite and move the awning. The motor runs but the awning will not move. Carefree is a PITA when it comes to parts. Only need the end cap but they won't send a cap, only a complete assembly. One thing they won't tell you is that the other end cap is identical, so you can swap ends...until that one fails.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning