Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Not Hijacking the thread - i'm not the original poster but have the same problem (described in a previous post).

So I tested the voltage on the wires at the motor and it's 13.5. It is still 13.5 when it stops rolling up, so I'm thinking it's the motor.

It seems Carefree only offers the complete replacement (grears and motors) for around $227 USD so would cost me over $330 CAD plus shipping.

The motor looks very familiar - very similar to the one I replaced on my steps on my previous MH. Some digging reveals it is a window lift motor. I had to take it off to get a part number and some digging to find it - amazon has one the same but a different number. Also only $43.

https://www.amazon.com/ACI-82326-Pow...ft+motor+82326

I also decided to go to NAPA - and they found one and should have it for me this PM. Will have to make sure it is a match and only around $60 CAD.

Also it seems someone has "modified" the original connections. The external points for power (on top of the awning motor cover) were disconnected and the wires are directly connected to the motor - so it would never have worked applying 12v directly to the external points. Might wire them back in case I have a problem as i have a portable 12v battery.

If this doesn't cure the problem then it has to be something mechanical - vice electrical.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Not Hijacking the thread - i'm not the original poster but have the same problem (described in a previous post).

So I tested the voltage on the wires at the motor and it's 13.5. It is still 13.5 when it stops rolling up, so I'm thinking it's the motor.

It seems Carefree only offers the complete replacement (grears and motors) for around $227 USD so would cost me over $330 CAD plus shipping.

The motor looks very familiar - very similar to the one I replaced on my steps on my previous MH. Some digging reveals it is a window lift motor. I had to take it off to get a part number and some digging to find it - amazon has one the same but a different number. Also only $43.

https://www.amazon.com/ACI-82326-Pow...ft+motor+82326

I also decided to go to NAPA - and they found one and should have it for me this PM. Will have to make sure it is a match and only around $60 CAD.

Also it seems someone has "modified" the original connections. The external points for power (on top of the awning motor cover) were disconnected and the wires are directly connected to the motor - so it would never have worked applying 12v directly to the external points. Might wire them back in case I have a problem as i have a portable 12v battery.

If this doesn't cure the problem then it has to be something mechanical - vice electrical.

Chris
Let us know how you make out with the swap.

On mine I suspect electrical is the primary issue but also believe the wheels/arms could move smoother to take some of the drag of the motor.

FLying back to the MH but just for the weekend then off to meetings in TX next week so it will be almost 2 weeks before I can find the time to dig deeper.

Encouraged to find there is an awning guru in the Tampa area.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Let us know how you make out with the swap.

On mine I suspect electrical is the primary issue but also believe the wheels/arms could move smoother to take some of the drag of the motor.

FLying back to the MH but just for the weekend then off to meetings in TX next week so it will be almost 2 weeks before I can find the time to dig deeper.

Encouraged to find there is an awning guru in the Tampa area.
OK, swapped motors, still the same problem

Back to square one. Does anyone know how the system senses the load to turn off the power to the motor? I'm wondering if when the motor strains at a certain point that it is being shut down as if it is in? Some relay must in the circuit?
I'm going to check at the motor just to make sure it is getting power. When I checked before I had to remove the wires after it stopped. The new motor has an adapter that I think I can put my leads on.

Also looking at putting my 12v portable on it to see what happens. I guess if that works it is the wiring?

Good thing I just retired .

Chris
Old 09-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
It is voltage!

OK, decided to try my portable 12v battery. Retracts past were it used to stop with no problem and that's with my portable down to 12.7v.

So it does seem to be wiring/voltage related, or a relay sensing resistance, nothing to do with the motor or gearing, so I guess I can eliminate it.

I notice that on direct 12v it does not stop going out and will continue to try to turn in the same direction even when all the way out.

So where is the relay that senses voltage to make the motor stop when fully extended? Anyone have any ideas or a schematic of the wiring?

Thanks

Chris
Old 09-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
OK, decided to try my portable 12v battery. Retracts past were it used to stop with no problem and that's with my portable down to 12.7v.

So it does seem to be wiring/voltage related, or a relay sensing resistance, nothing to do with the motor or gearing, so I guess I can eliminate it.

I notice that on direct 12v it does not stop going out and will continue to try to turn in the same direction even when all the way out.

So where is the relay that senses voltage to make the motor stop when fully extended? Anyone have any ideas or a schematic of the wiring?

Thanks

Chris
Keep going, I’m going to school on your efforts. I assume since you are Canadian you wont be in Tampa anytime soon yo use your newly acquired knowledge to fix mine>
Old 09-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Keep going, I’m going to school on your efforts. I assume since you are Canadian you wont be in Tampa anytime soon yo use your newly acquired knowledge to fix mine>
Thanks for the encouragement!
I've put the original motor back in and used my portable 12v on it and it also works fine. Should have done that first as many have suggested here. Another lesson learned.

I'm going to make a couple of wires and connect them inside to the blades that go to the outside contact points on the cover. (These wires are missing on mine). Then connect those to the motor as originally designed. With the MH power going to those blades - that should give me something to connect my meter to as I really don't want to cut/splice into the existing wiring.

Hope you follow the above - if the original wiring is still intact inside your awing cover it would make it a lot easier.

I've cleaned the plug connections going into the MH before but I'll also take a closer look at them again.

Based on some of the previous posts I may have to start looking for some AWG14/2 wire if I can't solve the problem and remove the plug and wire direct.

As for getting close to Tampa, we are planning to snowbird for the first time but are looking more towards the Texas area right now. So will be closer but not close enough to work on yours.

Chris
Old 09-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #21

Quote:

If your near Tampa call this guy to look at your awning he's in Tampa and actually repairs awnings instead of just replacing parts till it works:

David Jones
www.rvawnings1.com
813-956-6827
Old 09-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
If your near Tampa call this guy to look at your awning he's in Tampa and actually repairs awnings instead of just replacing parts till it works:

David Jones
www.rvawnings1.com
813-956-6827
Thanks I’m putting him on the list.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Got it working

Ok, started the day and made some wire splices so I could monitor the actual voltage of the motor (vice taking the wires off). It started around 12,7v and dropped to between 4 and 6v every time it stooped after around 3/4 turn.

So a voltage problem for sure.

Even though I cleaned the connector plug to the MH I went and did it again and gave it real good cleaning with electrical contact cleaner sprayed in each hole.
Tighten it up and tried again - and it came in - slow but did not stop after 3/4 a turn.
The voltage still varies, extending the awning it starts off at around 12.7v and drops to 11.9v and at one point just over 7v but did not stop.

Retracting the awning is still slow, starting around 8v and slowing climbing to 10/11v in the last foot or so.

I assume it should be close to 12v both ways????

So now I'm debating whether to wire direct or spend some more time on the plug. I'm concerned about removing the connector and having to seal the hole around the wires.

There is a second wire which I assume goes to a switch outside near the door on the bottom of the awning bracket. It has never done anything so it might work now.(Just tried it - it also works now!)

For now I think I'll just connect everything up again as it seems to work and we are supposed to get some rain over the next few days.

Thanks for all the suggestions, if I would have listened to some of them sooner I would have saved a lot of time!

Chris
Old 09-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #24

I am pretty sure you have a controller between the switch and the motor. Good luck finding it. A friend had a Winnebago Tour and had the same problem. He found the controller inside a closed box on a ceiling of the right-rear storage box. He had to call Winnebago to find where it was.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Marti View Post
I am pretty sure you have a controller between the switch and the motor. Good luck finding it. A friend had a Winnebago Tour and had the same problem. He found the controller inside a closed box on a ceiling of the right-rear storage box. He had to call Winnebago to find where it was.
Thanks Carlos, its probably beside the passenger seat on the wall. I'm reluctant to get into that now as there seem to be a lot of things in there including alarms and remote access hardware.
Will think about it and if no option will go in.

Chris
Old 09-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem with the original setup and also with the upgrade so I knew it was not the unit. I was told it was probably a bad ground, I did not want to go on a fishing expedition since the awning is on the slide. I solved the problem by purchasing a 110v to 12v converter. I have the converter in the old TV cabinet. I fished some 10 gauge wire from the converter to the original switch, and any time I want the awning to move I turn on the Genset if dry camping. It moves fairly quickly now.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Here's a guy to call, he specializes in awning repair and replacements. He may be able to point you in the proper direction. He's located in the Tampa, FL area.

Under The Sun RV, LLC
David Jones
www.rvawnings1.com
813-956-6827
I called David to repair my awning, rear arm pulled away from the coach and it has always been slow to retract at best but usually had to help it retract.

David showed up when he said he would, was polite and professional. Did a great job and my awning after 3 hours of his time works better than ever before.

If you are in the Tampa area and have an awning issue I highly recommend him.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #28

I’m jumping in on this a little late but possible I have helpful info. My awning is having the same problems described on this thread. I am still diagnosing but I have learned that if you have a Carefree Eclipse awning and it has Direct Response, then there is a Control Box between the motor and your awning switch. You have Direct Response if you have; An Awning Power Switch, A Windspeed Setting Switch and A Retract / Extend switch. The wiring manual for my coach indicates the general vicinity of the location of the Control Box.
So, I’m now trying to source a replacement Control Box. I’ll post if I have any luck.

Tags
awning