Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Carefree Slide Out Topper Repair

Good afternoon,
I have a Safari Simba 2009 30SFS with a Carefree SOKIII XL slide out topper. Material has started to rip, and I need to remove to see if it can be repaired, or needs replacing.
Is this a difficult job to do myself? Anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks
Mario Ross
akamaroriki@hotmail.com
marioross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #2

Where is it ripping? On my MH it was ripping at the mounting rail on the MH. I'm not sure about your model awning, but on mine the slide needs to be extended, the winding spring is in the right side. You need to remove the arm and unwind the spring counting the number of revolutions so you know how many to wind it up. Remove the other arm and set the awning on the roof of the slideout. Remove the screw in the rail on the MH and slide the awning off. You might have to apply some silicone lube in the track. Depending on the length of the awning it might be a two man job. I took mine to a shop that makes boat covers and the like. They were able to stitch up the rip. Try looking on You-Tube for video on replacing awnings.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #3

Commercial Member

Mario,

If you think your topper needs to be replaced, I would recommend contacting Ray at Toughtop Awnings (RV Slide-Out Topper Awning Replacement Fabric Installation). We got replacement fabric for all three of our slide toppers (A&E, not Carefree) and he was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the entire process. He'd be able to tell you if your toppers are easily replaced... and his fabric is excellent. Far superior to the original fabric that came on our A&Es... a much denser weave that resists billowing and shows no signs of aging, even though we full-time and spend a good deal of time in the desert southwest.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to check out the Tough Top site as removal and replacement is simpler than is indicated in the Carefree manuals. You need an 8 ft step ladder and a helper but it is simple to do following the TT instructions.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

I found it is better to replace the topper - by the time you have someone sew it you have paid a good bit of the replacement price.
In addition if it ripped it may be getting brittle.
I bought mine from Tough Top Awnings. Much thicker material than the original.
If you are going to bother taking it down might as well fix it right and you won't have to do it again for a long time.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I replaced one of mine last year. I bought my replacement from Tough Toppers. Ray was easy to deal with, and you can call his cell if you run into an issue. I was able to remove the old, and replace it with new in less 2 hours. One of the easiest DIY zi have done, a saved $$$.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
Here is a pdf file attached with Carefree slide topper instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carefree Slide Topper Replacement.pdf (279.3 KB, 354 views)
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

I replaced both of mine two years ago. I purchased replacements from Tough Tops as others have said. My wife and I installed the new fabric. My wife can't climb a ladder so I had her hold up the material with a broom as I slid it into the grooves. It worked well enough. It took us a little more than an hour for each slide. That doesn't include my time to remove the old fabric.

To make my old toppers last longer I used repair tape from Camping World. That wasn't a problem. I also used caulking near the edge where the fabric was coming apart. I had to use a knife to cut the caulking away from the gutter on my RV. I would not patch with caulking as a temporary fix as the cost of new toppers is not that much and they can be installed in a few hours if your old ones are not glued to your RV.

Safe travels - JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

Commercial Member

It's probably too late for Mario (assuming he has already completed his repairs/replacement), but I thought others could benefit from watching our video on replacing their Carefree of Colorado slide toppers:

HOW TO: Replace a Carefree of Colorado RV Slide Topper - YouTube

It shows how we replaced a Carefree SOKII... but the basic design & replacement process is the same for a lot of Carefree's slide toppers.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The stitching pulled out on along the part that attaches to the side of the MH. I removed the fabric and had a local upholstery shop restitch it. It was not a really difficult job!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, slide, slide out