Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #1

Carfax and lack of use question

Ran a carfax today and coach came back a 2003. Owner said it was a 2004. The model owner gave me was not available in 2003 but was in 2004 according to NADA. Any ideas if Carfax could have it wrong? According to Carfax coach was purchased new in September 2003. Is whats on the title the correct year?

Also owner mentioned coach had not been driven in 2.8 years. Carfax records show it was closer to 1 year and 9 months from last service. Fairly long time to sit idle even for 1 year 9 months but very consistent service before that since new and kept in heated storage whole life. Very consistent. Would that be a big deal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Title year vs. year established by the RV manufacturerOccasionally the year on the title will be different from the year established by the RV manufacturer. Why?

This is a very common question within the RV industry and not just specific to a particular manufacturer. The chassis of a motorized product is purchased from a chassis manufacturer (Ford, Chevy, Workhorse, Freightliner, Spartan, etc.) as an "Incomplete Vehicle" (with an established chassis serial number). When a manufacturer completes the vehicle, a model year is assigned, along with the manufacturer’s serial number to the coach portion. The RV industry and chassis manufacturer model years change at different times. For example, an RV manufacturer may introduce the 2007 model year unit in June of 2006, but the chassis manufacturer does not introduce the 2007 chassis until September of 2006.

Because the manufacturer "Completes the Vehicle" and assigns the model year, the value of any unit is determined by the model year of the coach, not necessarily the chassis, even if the chassis is listed on the title. It is a very common practice in the RV industry for units to be titled by the chassis. The chassis may also be 1-2 years older than the actual coach.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos80922 View Post
Title year vs. year established by the RV manufacturerOccasionally the year on the title will be different from the year established by the RV manufacturer. Why?

This is a very common question within the RV industry and not just specific to a particular manufacturer. The chassis of a motorized product is purchased from a chassis manufacturer (Ford, Chevy, Workhorse, Freightliner, Spartan, etc.) as an "Incomplete Vehicle" (with an established chassis serial number). When a manufacturer completes the vehicle, a model year is assigned, along with the manufacturer’s serial number to the coach portion. The RV industry and chassis manufacturer model years change at different times. For example, an RV manufacturer may introduce the 2007 model year unit in June of 2006, but the chassis manufacturer does not introduce the 2007 chassis until September of 2006.

Because the manufacturer "Completes the Vehicle" and assigns the model year, the value of any unit is determined by the model year of the coach, not necessarily the chassis, even if the chassis is listed on the title. It is a very common practice in the RV industry for units to be titled by the chassis. The chassis may also be 1-2 years older than the actual coach.
Thanks for that detailed explanation. You said the value is determined by the model year assigned by the manufacturer. Makes me wonder what year a lender is looking at to determine value...what's on the title/chassis or age it was titled? Where if anywhere would you find the year model on paperwork of a coach that has an older chassis than the year it was completed by manufacturer?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello, in my experience lenders go by the model year not the chassis year. The coach year information can be found on the stickers inside the coach. Usually in the bedroom closet or wall inside the bedroom of the coach. Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Carfax reports the VIN year, and that is not accurate for an RV chassis (as COS 80922 described). By federal reg, the model year is assigned by the final (completed vehicle) manufacturer as certified in the Manufacturer's Certificate or Origin, and that is the date that is suppoded to carry forward to the vehicle title. Your insurer, the DMV, and everybody else is supposed to use the title year, but somewtimes their computers pick up the VIN year and use that instead. For 99% of vehicles, it makes no difference, but you should make sure your title has the correct year and that the insurer is using it. Don't take "gotta be the VIN year" for an answer - they are wrong and it is contrary to vehicle law in all 50 states.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #6

My Windsport was the first year of the 2005 34N model, however it is classified under the Ford Chassis which is 2004. So when someone checks the VIN is shows as a 2004 Windsport, but that's the Chassis. It's weird, it's insured as a 2004 model that is non existent. Its a 2005 coach!! Sounds like your situation is the same.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brez View Post
My Windsport was the first year of the 2005 34N model, however it is classified under the Ford Chassis which is 2004. So when someone checks the VIN is shows as a 2004 Windsport, but that's the Chassis. It's weird, it's insured as a 2004 model that is non existent. Its a 2005 coach!! Sounds like your situation is the same.
Exactly. I have not seen the title or had a chance to ask owner what it says.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Worthless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Ran a carfax today and coach came back a 2003. Owner said it was a 2004. The model owner gave me was not available in 2003 but was in 2004 according to NADA. Any ideas if Carfax could have it wrong? According to Carfax coach was purchased new in September 2003. Is whats on the title the correct year?

Also owner mentioned coach had not been driven in 2.8 years. Carfax records show it was closer to 1 year and 9 months from last service. Fairly long time to sit idle even for 1 year 9 months but very consistent service before that since new and kept in heated storage whole life. Very consistent. Would that be a big deal?
I recently got a education on car fax's, they are not worth the paper they are printed on! The advertising dealer just put on the car fax what he wants you to know, they are dealer generated, has anyone ever read a "BAD" car fax, telling you not to buy something?
Do not trust car fax, much less "pay money" for one!
WORTHLESS in my book!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I recently got a education on car fax's, they are not worth the paper they are printed on! The advertising dealer just put on the car fax what he wants you to know, they are dealer generated, has anyone ever read a "BAD" car fax, telling you not to buy something?
WORTHLESS in my book!
I have ran 2 Car-fax reports so far. On the first I found out coach was a repo. That was not a deal breaker but good to know none the less. Does it report everything...no way. But if something negative DOES show up that's info I most likely would not have otherwise. On the second Car-fax it was reported the one owner coach was serviced every few thousand miles at the same place. 25 different service records reported over 9 years. That tells me the owner is being proactive in keeping the coach maintained. To me that means a lot. So to me a half ass background check is better than no background check at all. None of this of course is a replacement for a good prebuy inspection.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
WORTHLESS in my book!
I ran a couple and found one that was for sale on a dealer lot that had a salvage title. First I was hearing about it. So yes, they can be helpful. They just don't have everything.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Long story short, My Buddy's 2011 Jeep JK, 10 trips to the dealer for water leaks, floors always flooded after a rain, he got tired of dealing with it, so he traded it on a Dodge truck,dealer listed his Jeep on their website, free car fax with the listing, not one word about all the trips to the dealer over a 2 year period of time for the water leak problems...........called them, asked about if it had had any water leaks, not to our knowledge........he said. Then he said that this was "A dealer generated car fax"? I asked if that meant that they just could select the things that they wanted to list on the car fax, and he said yes! I would not want to be the person buying his Jeep!
Used, 30 day warranty, on your own..........I guess a dealer of any sort is not the person that one should put a lot of trust in.......
Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
As stated, Carfax might give some useful negatives, but more often than not do not show much for RVs. I have heard this is because most service stations and dealers do not send much info to Carfax on RVs. Right or wrong, who knows!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
As stated, Carfax might give some useful negatives, but more often than not do not show much for RVs. I have heard this is because most service stations and dealers do not send much info to Carfax on RVs. Right or wrong, who knows!
I understand the negative comments on Carfax. Not the best or most accurate data. To me it's just another tool. I bought the 5 pak for $50 bucks so at $10 per carfax I can live with it.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #14

I bought my 2007 Sportscoach in April of 2012 out-of-state. I had been in serious contact with the dealer and based my purchase upon inspection when we arrived. However, we discovered the mileage was incorrect. It had been listed as having 21,000 miles on the clock, however when we arrived, we were shocked that it had only 2,100 miles on the odometer. Probably 600 miles of that was travel from the manufacturer to the dealer location in New York.

However, everything seemed to check out ok and we made the purchase and got a very good deal. It had obviously been sitting for a very long time but seemed non the worse for wear. The original owner was a lady who purchased it, then her son evidently had a fit that she had bought a 40 foot MH, so she traded it on a C class.

On the way home, I had a rusty lower radiator hose clamp come loose and dumped the coolant. That was an easy fix, but after I got the unit home I did a thorough inspection and replaced several rusted clamps and even replaced the brake cans because the actuator shafts were rusty. Was it a good deal? You bet, but I did have to do a bit of work and throw about $1500 at it before things were right. Since then, she's been across the country twice with nary a hiccup. So just check out the little things and be prepared with some tools and an extra credit card.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote