Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 05:43 AM   #1

Question Cargo Bay Doors Won't Open

Just arrived at an RV park with my 2007 Holiday Rambler Imperial and tried to unlock the cargo bay doors using the fob button. Always worked before but now it doesn't. I then proceeded to unlock the cargo doors manually using the key and 3 of them won't open as I can't get the key to turn them. I have oiled the locks but still no luck. Anyone have any problems like this before? Suggested solutions?
Dippelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our MH the previous owner did not have a key for the storage bay locks. I had to use the keypad to unlock them, but constantly worried that it would fail and I could not get into them. Monaco parts loaned me an "extraction" key to remove the lock cylinders. I took one of them to a local locksmith and he made me new keys. I feel much better now!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Change the battery in your fob?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

Maybe try pushing in on the door to relieve pressure on the latch as you try turning the key.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a keypad entry system.

I have one on my 2002 Windsor and after you put in the code to unlock the front door if you hit the 7/8 key the basements doors unlock. We hardly ever use the FOB's anymore. I didn't know this for several years after purchasing the coach but I was having trouble and read the info on the keyless system.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Do you have a keypad entry system.

I have one on my 2002 Windsor and after you put in the code to unlock the front door if you hit the 7/8 key the basements doors unlock. We hardly ever use the FOB's anymore. I didn't know this for several years after purchasing the coach but I was having trouble and read the info on the keyless system.

I have mine programmed to use the "7" after the code!
Old 10-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a 2005 HR Imperial and had the same problem. We found that if the coach was level, the doors would open. Everytime I would level with the hyd. levelers, the doors would not open, but when I used the air level system, I had no problem opening the bay doors. I no longer use the hyd. levelers. My guess is that my hyds. are not set up right and they twist the frame enough to bind and not let the latches release.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto View Post
We have a 2005 HR Imperial and had the same problem. We found that if the coach was level, the doors would open. Everytime I would level with the hyd. levelers, the doors would not open, but when I used the air level system, I had no problem opening the bay doors. I no longer use the hyd. levelers. My guess is that my hyds. are not set up right and they twist the frame enough to bind and not let the latches release.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Another reason I love my air leveling!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may have to work the keys a bit in the locks.. Wiggle and push, wiggle and push, Re-lub wiggle and push

And put a new battery in the fob.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had the same problem. The module that controls the auto key lock system was bad. Ordered a new one from Tri Mark:

TriMark Corporation - Latch, Handle, Linkage, Electronic, Hinge, Vehicle door hardware
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
WD40 will loosen up a sticking cylinder, as will silicone lube. But if the coach is twisted due to the levelers, you might try dropping the coach back down and see if they will open.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #12

The keyless entry controller is behind the radio there are 2 wires on it for cargo locks Hook one to a ground and touch the other to positive it will lock reverse and it will unlock that will get the doors unlocked then you can work on the tumblers to try and get them to free up. With the door open I would try PB Blaster in the key hole let it sit for 30 min then try the key again. If you cannot get them unlocked and have to buy new handles in the pocket area you will see a indentation in the center behind it is the bolt that hold the door latch in place from the inside I use a large spot weld cutter to weaken it there and the lock will break easy and come out without damaging the door.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator336 View Post
Maybe try pushing in on the door to relieve pressure on the latch as you try turning the key.
I would fully agree with this. If the key is not turning, either the latching mechanism is bound against the frame, or the key is not cut right. Have the keys worked before? If so, then the latching mechanism may be bound against the frame. If not, you could also try the previously mentioned advised about wiggling/shaking the key in the lock while trying to turn it.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #14

Thank you

Thanks to all who replied. tried everything that was suggested by everyone but no luck. Called HR and the service tech confirmed everything that was suggested made sense but since nothing worked we landed on the actuator switches being seized. I will need to drill out one of the locks to get inside to fix. Not what I was hoping for but will need to be done. Again, thanks to all!
Dippelj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, holiday rambler