Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #1

carpal tunnel syndrome and driving a class A

A consideration I have about the purchase of an RV is that the wife also wants to drive it yet suffers from carpal tunnel syndrome. She may have the operation on her wrist eventually but I was curious if anyone has an understanding if this and if I should limit my choices to a Newmar with Comfort Drive or a Newell with their Easy Steer? From the videos it looks like this option would be beneficial. These are big vehicles to drive and deal with lousy roads and high winds. It limits the options but if she wants to drive, I want her to enjoy it. Anyone with experience with these computer assist steering aids know if it would do the trick? She is fine driving her Tahoe but I expect that a 45' monster would be another story. Least I have heard it can be for some.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It would be ideal if you could test drive a Newmar with Comfort Drive to appreciate the difference first hand and it is a remarkable improvement in steering ease.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #3

I have moderate to severe carpul in right wrist. It is a non issue for me.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #4

I have nerve damage residuals on both wrists after having the surgery. I just drove our 07 Newmar with no comfort drive for 8900 miles this summer (from So. Calif. > various parts of Alaska and back) with no problem, although I wear good bicycle riding gloves (not cover finger tips, but has padding to ensure limited pressure on the medial nerve). If one or the other hand is flaring, I always have wrist braces available to use.

The angle of the steering wheel (more flat than vertical) is easier on my hands than our car.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
I have nerve damage residuals on both wrists after having the surgery. I just drove our 07 Newmar with no comfort drive for 8900 miles this summer (from So. Calif. > various parts of Alaska and back) with no problem, although I wear good bicycle riding gloves (not cover finger tips, but has padding to ensure limited pressure on the medial nerve). If one or the other hand is flaring, I always have wrist braces available to use.

The angle of the steering wheel (more flat than vertical) is easier on my hands than our car.
I agree, I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and driving the motorhome with the flatter angle of the steering wheel causes me no problem at all. You need to keep the wrists fairly flat, the pressure builds when the wrist is bent at 90 degrees

something for the weekend...1968 Vanguard Camper on 1989 GMC 2500
Open Roaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51 View Post
.....These are big vehicles to drive and deal with lousy roads and high winds... She is fine driving her Tahoe but I expect that a 45' monster would be another story.....
A 45' monster? I don't know where this stuff comes from. My '02 DSDP-- no Easy Steer, no Comfort Drive-- is easier to steer and drive than my toad, a Honda Element!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

Quote:
A consideration I have about the purchase of an RV is that the wife also wants to drive it yet suffers from carpal tunnel syndrome. She may have the operation on her wrist eventually but I was curious if anyone has an understanding if this and if I should limit my choices to a Newmar with Comfort Drive or a Newell with their Easy Steer? From the videos it looks like this option would be beneficial. These are big vehicles to drive and deal with lousy roads and high winds. It limits the options but if she wants to drive, I want her to enjoy it. Anyone with experience with these computer assist steering aids know if it would do the trick? She is fine driving her Tahoe but I expect that a 45' monster would be another story. Least I have heard it can be for some.
When I test drove a Newmar with comfort drive I must say it was amazing! Completely stopped, I could turn the steering wheel from "lock to lock" meaning fully left to fully right with just gentle pressure on one finger! Then release the wheel and the steering wheel would automatically center itself. I want this feature for myself for sure!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thom has carpal tunnel and has had it for years. Doc suggested surgery about 15 years ago and Thom said no. He gave him some wrist braces to wear at night when it starts to hurt more than he can handle and that's all he's used. He has had no problems with the RV, Harley, trucks, cars, etc.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #9

Thanks all! I don't have it but worried about the wife's. Glad to hear that many of you can do it without problems or pain. For her comfort I think I will move towards a computer assist drive just to make it super comfortable and easy for her. If you had the surgery, did it help or cure the problem? I've debated the idea of surgery since there are issues but a few who that have had it said it did the trick. I look forward to riding shot gun some of the time.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks all! I don't have it but worried about the wife's. Glad to hear that many of you can do it without problems or pain. For her comfort I think I will move towards a computer assist drive just to make it super comfortable and easy for her. If you had the surgery, did it help or cure the problem? I've debated the idea of surgery since there are issues but a few who that have had it said it did the trick. I look forward to riding shot gun some of the time.
Have the surgery, I wouldn't live with the pain. Worse at night, would wake me up. It's not a big deal, Had my right hand done 20 years ago under a general and the left one just 2 years ago under local. My father, brother & 2sisters all had the chop!

something for the weekend...1968 Vanguard Camper on 1989 GMC 2500
Open Roaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #11

Quote:
If you had the surgery, did it help or cure the problem? I've debated the idea of surgery since there are issues but a few who that have had it said it did the trick. I look forward to riding shot gun some of the time.
Substantial improvement, but not a cure. Primarily because I waited to long before having it done (per my dr.). I still wear braces at night about 75% of the time. But as long as I wear padded gloves, only rarely does the driving bother me. Most of the time we had a relaxed pace and low daily miles, but on the way home...we tend to get the itch to get there. That is where the 600-700 mile days happen. All doable and I did all the MH driving for the trip.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have carpal tunnel, Fairly mild I suspect but it is a constant source of irritation, comes from over 3 decades on a keyboard I suspect. (Between work and home, I type fast enough to transcribe many songs as they are sung, handy since I like singing).

I do not have a problem.. But if you have it worse... You might. There are things you can do to the MH that make it drive better.

Sway bars, control side to side rocking (like fans at a rock concert swaying from side to side)

Track bars (2 one front one rear) control "Wag" (The body moves right and left over the axles, if the front moves one way and the rear the other you think you are going in a DIFFERENT direction, so you correct, only you were going straight, NOW you are heading off the road so as it wags back you overcorrect once again, Very tiering)

Steering stablizers.. Do their very best to keep you on the straight.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #13

Chiropractic

Don't want to start a range war here, but our small town has lots of factories, workers with repetitive motion, and lots of surgeries for carpal tunnel. A young chiropractor came to town about 15 years ago, and went to each factory and said he could treat carpal tunnel without surgery. Not one person has been for surgery since... He is pretty good at what he does...
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
Don't want to start a range war here, but our small town has lots of factories, workers with repetitive motion, and lots of surgeries for carpal tunnel. A young chiropractor came to town about 15 years ago, and went to each factory and said he could treat carpal tunnel without surgery. Not one person has been for surgery since... He is pretty good at what he does...
no range war with me. I had a great chiropractor that kept me going for years, but it was a worker comp injury and when they didn't want to pay for the treatment any more, I was left with very few options.

Tags
class a