Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Carpet removal questions

Hello,
I'm in the process of removing the original carpet in the front of the motorhome. I have it all out except a six inch strip that goes under the passenger side slide out. The slide out is raised on this side and will be a bear to get that remaining section out. I have read numerous carpet removal/replacement threads and it seems that getting that section out is possible by working from the outside through the slide out seal. I've looked and I think it will be very difficult. May be one of only two options though.
My question, if I am successful getting that strip out then how will the carpet installers refasten that section of carpet down? No way to get a stapler in under that slide. Would glue be the answer?
My last question is would you just leave the six inch section as is? When the couch is on the slide it extends even further out and the old carpet will never be seen. I really would like to get that old section out and replace with the new but really worried about getting the old out first.
Hoping that some of you that have had to deal with this will reply.
Thanks,
Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
No do not leave that piece in. The PO of my RV did this and it has hung up the slide. I have removed most of it but on mine I have to drop the cargo bins under the slide. Good luck
I am waiting for the weather to cool down to finish up.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-08-2015, 04:25 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I could not get to mine from the outside. I brought the slide in a couple of inches and wedged it carefully up at the bottom. Just enough to get a flat pry bar under carpet. I glued the carpet under the slide with tacks at the edge of slide. No padding under slide. Hope this helps.
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not a carpet installer, but it seems to me that you could use a long blade angled back under the edge of slide to cut the old carpet, then push the edge of the new carpet under the slide butted up against the old carpet and staple it as close to the slide as possible. I don't think this would interfere with the slide operation.

Again, I'm definitely not an expert, but sometimes just common sense and careful study can solve these problems!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #5

Thank to all of you that replied.
This morning I decided to have a go at removing the strip of carpet. I'm happy to say that I got it out and it wasn't to difficult. I used a pry bar underneath the carpet from the inside and pried up the carpet. Some of the staples came out with the carpet but some tore through the carpet and stayed in the floor. I used a screw driver, needle nose pliers and channel locks to remove the remaining staples. Had just enough room to get at them.
Now its the installers problem getting the carpet laid securely underneath. I'm still thinking glue unless there is some kind of off set staple gun that will get under that slide about 6 inches. I'll be watching closely.

Tags
carpet, removal