Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
YC1

Love our tile. We boondock and carpet would get nasty fast. We use several throw rugs that go in the washing machine when needed. The home washer, not the little one in the rv. No signs of cracks and we have hit many hard pot holes.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I have not done a weight comparison - but when researching this I was told by one flooring company that the differences were small. I said really. He said have you ever tried to pick up a full roll of vinyl? Of course I have not but the point was well taken.

Maybe Ernie Eckberg will check in and straighten us out. I plan to let him make the material recommendations and do the work - and Annie to choose the colors etc. Guess what I get to do? If Ernie doesn't ring in google him. You can go to his website.
When we ordered our Dutch Star the difference between carpet and ceramic tile was 75#'s according to the option sheet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
When we ordered our Dutch Star the difference between carpet and ceramic tile was 75#'s according to the option sheet.
Thanks Mr D - I was told it wasn't that big of a difference. Carpet + pad, vinyl + staples, etc. Guess a lot depends on the area being covered. At that rate I guess you decided to go with ceramic tile and 1 keg of beer instead of the usual two.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
We are not fans of ceramic tile, despite the fact that it seems to have become the "rage" for new rigs. Why?

1) I still think weight & "flex" is an issue .....but as Mr. D suggests, this may be a non-issue...I would still take the time to weigh all three options (carpet, vinyl & tile) just to be sure!

2) Do you do all or most of your RVing in very warm/hot weather? We FT and pretty much follow the weather (North in summer & South in winter). Not surprising, this means we are always in cool/warm weather (rather than hot) where our electric fireplace runs twice as much as our AC. Without an "in-floor" heating system for the tile, it would be uncomfortably cold....for us.

3) I consulted with our 2 dogs over this issue and they were both in agreement that they prefer carpet over tile.....much softer & warmer to rest older paws and tired bones!

4) Our biggest issue with carpet is "why" light beige....this makes no sense to us. As a result, we bought a large remnant of industrial weave "Justin Berber" in a darker color and then cut it to fit over our entrance carpet....works great.

Regardless, if you're comfortable with the weight and not bothered by the cool surface....I'm sure it will make a very nice upgrade.

Good luck.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Thanks Mr D - I was told it wasn't that big of a difference. Carpet + pad, vinyl + staples, etc. Guess a lot depends on the area being covered. At that rate I guess you decided to go with ceramic tile and 1 keg of beer instead of the usual two.
Nope, went with the carpet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #20

We also like the carpet in the living area and the bedroom, with tile in the kitchen and bath. The carpet is warm, and quiet and easy on the feet. We just wipe our feet at the door, and every 4 to 6 months do a quick clean with the carpet cleaner. Comfort is the key to life.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #21

We will never have carpet in a RV or stick and brick again. It's hardwood and tile for us. When we order a Newmar I am going to see if they can even do hardwood in the slides. All you ever see is carpet on the slides, even when they have wood or tile on the floor. I think they need carpet to cover the transition seam of the slide, but don't know.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #22

Our 1997 Endeavor has carpet in bedroom and living area but tile in bath area and oak hardwood in kitchen and dinette. The living area carpet will be replaced with Allure vinyl in a stone look. In addition, all of our valances have been replaced with oak versions to match the cabinets. We try to minimize any material that can trap dirt/mold/mildew/allergens.
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
If you go with ceramic- it is a heavier product then the vinyl planks or engineered wood. One individual posted about a dealer stating have you tried to lift a roll of vinyl. Well- there are probably 150 square yards on that roll and yes, all that would be heavy. We only need a few yards of material in our coaches.
Don't forget, if you are close to your CCC weight limit- calculate your new material, mastic and grout.
Carpet is quieter and is a magnet for dirt and dust. Just shake a throw rug!
Merry Christmas
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello
I have an 08 Rev with tile, as others have said it is cold, I think a heat mat under it before installed would have been a good ideal for when on shore power, tile will be much heaver then any other option. I have to agree with Erine about the roll thing, as you are NOT going to put a roll of anything in a coach. Being in the flooring business I would find someone that has installed tile in a coach before or at least find the proper materials to install the tile. They make products for every application. You might need to go a tile store and not a home depot type of store. But the weight will be there!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Ernie. I did remark about the vinyl roll weigh but was also smart enough - thanks to this site to hope you would ring in and straighten us/me out. Thanks for doing so!!

You are still on my radar. Sorry for the misspell of your last name. Merry Christmas.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #26

Vinyl flooring, IMO, is the only way to go in a RV. Forest floors are dirty, grimy, filthy, and we like to dry camp (boondock on occasion) in State and National Forests. We have vinyl throughout except in the cockpit and bedroom.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our new to us MH came with tile in the galley and shower/bath area. It still looks fine. One almost invisible crack in a tile but who knows how that happened. I believe there is flexible grout or an additive for grout in installations that need to move a little. The tile still looks fine the carpet is shot. I think the replacement will be the vinyl type engineered flooring like Allure if it is possible to do with out too much work and cost.

Long story short. I also would rather have disposable area rugs than carpet.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
My coach, which we purchased 2 years ago, came with a floating laminate. No- I didn't install it. So far, so good. But if I get a flood, I know that material will be toast. We use area rugs- its cold. We have 4 poodles, that are not spoiled at all
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote