Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carpeting engine cover of Class A

Hello everyone, I am planning on replacing the carpeting in my 2004 Tiffin Allegro Bay. Everything seems straight forward enough except for one thing. The two corners of the hump housing the engine access cover are rounded. The hump itself is 5 inches high. The factory carpet job covers these corners flawlessly; like the covering on a baseball. Does anyone have any idea how this was accomplished? Would love to hear from any retired carpet installers out there.
tdyltc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #2

On the humps there are seams you are not seeing. If you spread the carpet fibers at the humps you will find them. Seams done well are surprisingly hard to notice.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #3

Not sure about the seams you're talking about but while you have it off and doing this, you might want to consider putting this on the underside of the dog house. I just did this to mine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

I used this as an insulation under the cover. What a difference in noise also. I made a pattern with tar paper to use to cut.
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905...XZEP6N5VME9TG0
c62250000210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I have confused you all by referring to the "doghouse" (thanks marjoa) as the hump. The dog house is 5" high with rounded corners facing the living area. My question had nothing to do with "seams" but rather how the carpet was laid so smoothly over these rounded corners. Seams may very well be the answer
Old 10-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Ok let me try this again. The way you lay carpet over a sloped surface is to drape it over like a coat. You then temp affix one side (usually the top of the slope) so that once you make your cuts it does not throw off your alignment. You start at the point of the slope and draw the knife at a 45 degree angle down the slope. One side will be the mat and one side will be the overlap cut. You then make a second cut with the material overlapped to pull the cuts together... that becomes your seam. When doing something with multiple slopes (like a doghouse) you have to be careful on your overlap cuts that you do not cut of material needed down seam for the inverse slope at the bottom of the doghouse.

At the factory they have custom cut templates laid out on CAD machines that allow them to put them together to have perfect seams. To do it by hand requires many trial and errors or someone that knows their stuff.

Honestly unless you have some serious patience it is not something for an amateur. It is not even a job for a normal or good carpet guy. You need to take the dog house to an upholstery shop or even a good custom car audio shop to have it done. They are the ones that have the skill sets and experience in covering complex surfaces.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:40 AM   #7

I did mine with one piece and no cuts. The contact glue I used softened the backing of the carpet and allowed it to be form fitted.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c62250000210 View Post
I used this as an insulation under the cover. What a difference in noise also. I made a pattern with tar paper to use to cut.
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905...XZEP6N5VME9TG0
I too used the same Dynamat hood liner product on the underside of the dog house in my '97 Aerbus. It was already foam insulated and had good sound control but the hood liner product really eliminated engine sounds further and reduced the heat. The other Dynamat products are primarily for eliminating rattles, vibrations and adding firmness to the structure. I've done several of our vehicles and RV's over the years and with great results. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed carpet on mine and one of the tricks is heat on the backside of the carpet. Any curve area take a heat gun and warm it up to form that area and let it cool down while holding it in place. Once that area has been formed contact cement it in place. For areas you have to butt seam lay carpet on top of each other and get a straight edge and cut both layers at once. Use new blade for each area to cut. Then glue that down and you are done. Now if you are worried about the area on the bottom you can use seam sealer around the edges.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a carpet company install the carpet in our older units. It was simple what they did. It is important to use the old carpet as a pattern. carefully remove the old piece of carpet. Free it up into a flat piece of carpet. Lay it on top of the new carpet. Cut it exactly like the old piece of carpet. Reinstall. As others have said, heating will help soften the backing and allow it to conform better.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for all of the great help and information. The job now doesn't seem nearly as daunting. I plan on going out to where the motor home is stored later today. I will take a photo of the dog house.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Took the photo, but having trouble uploading it to my computer. Will keep trying.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #13

sometime I use a stair tool and rub the jute on the back...this makes it bend real easy
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:46 PM   #14
mnl

Recovering Class A "dog house" engine carpet recover

Hi all, Im in the same boat with my 2014 Open Road and have a few questions, so thank you in advance.
First, how do even get it off after you've taken the screws out around the sides? Is there a latch or something underneath possibly? Second, how do you take off the original without tearing it? Third, what did you do about the remaining carpet up under the dash?
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, class a, engine