Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We also have a two piece ladder for roof access mounted in the rear but like the telescoping one. To protect the roof edge I wrapped carpet around the ladder contact point and hold it in place with velcro strips. For lower access I use a 3 foot aluminum step ladder. Both fit well in the bays for storage.

I agree that the two piece ladder is a pain to get out but it also is very sturdy.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #30

Just yesterday we were discussing how to carry our collapsible ladder. Our Storm doesn't have a locker all the way through. So those of you who attach it to the roof ladder haven't had any issues with that? I thought maybe good solid rubber bungees and a small chain and padlock. It folds up short enough to fit in our longer center compartment but is too thick to go in. Besides our small folding table and camp chairs are there.
Sparksvonrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I found that only Lowes had a largest enough fence post to fit the folding ladder. They sell a few different fence posts, but you'll see one that has two rectangular holes cut into one side for inserting railing. This one is big enough for the ladder.

The reason for the fence post use is to keep the ladder up off the floor and easy to access without having to unload have of your bay. On my last two DP's, I mounted it as high as I could in the pass thru bay where the adder would still clear the bay door.

Mounting......I found that adding a couple of pieces of wood to the wall first, like a couple of 1"x 2" x 6" pieces made mounting easier. I then drilled two holes in one side of the fence post that was large enough to fit a large wood screw and flat washer though, so that I could then go through the tube and screw through the opposite wall into the wood blocks I installed.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I'm going to get the GPS folding ladder that can fit in a PVC tube.

As Joe mentioned borrowing a ladder is a possibility and you may even make a new friend, but the last time I needed one we were the only transient camper in a mostly seasonal park and unless the park owner had one to borrow we would have been out of luck. We camp for several months at a time so I see the need for our own.

My roof access ladder is a 2 piece affair with the upper portion permanently attached to the coach and the lower portion stored in the baggage bay. It is difficult to pull out without moving a bunch of stuff so if the GPS ladder will allow me safely to get to the permanently mounted roof access ladder I may leave the lower portion home.

Now if I can just convince myself I can get away without carrying that spare tire and leaving that lower roof access ladder home, I'll free up a bunch of baggage space. Do they make folding spare tires?

Hook the lower part of your 2 piece rear ladder half way up and secure with a bungee cord. Lock it to the upper portion to keep it from "walking."
Old 10-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #33

Just finished installing 6" PVC folding ladder storage tube, found light weight 6" drainage tube at local Irrigation Supply House, no drilling or strapping was necessary install, tube was a very tight fit but easy install. I capped tube on drivers side and use passenger side for access, after storing ladder I find there is also room for a couple of fishing poles, should have done this years ago.

Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775[6544].jpg
Views:	74
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	178983  
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #34

Home Depot has 5" x 5" solid...no holes ...works fine for folding ladders.
Mounted mine under frame just ahead of rear wheels.
Saves inside storage room for other stuff
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel compartment.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	178984
I have the folding ladder in the square PVC post and I have an extra sewer hose in the round tube. The red bolt just holds the ladder from bouncing around and I can access the ladder from either side. I have a sani con system but I have the extra sewer hose as a back up system. Never have used the sewer hose, but it's there.

I used silicone to hold the tubes in place and painted everything black before installing it.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote