Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Carrying Portable Waste Tank

We are getting ready to go full time in next few months. So excited about that. We have lots to prepare for and learn and one item is to get a portable waste tank to carry with us.
We will not be in full hook ups all the time. Can anyone of you tell me how you carry this large tank. We are in a Newmar 38 ft. class a. not a lot of large storage underneath. Thought about some sort of rack on the ladder on back of coach. Do any of you have ideas and photos would be helpful.
Also need some help with mail delivery. What is the best way to have mail forwarded or what do you do full time. Some can be emailed but some is land delivered. Thanks and all suggestions are appreciated.
revrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #2

This is how I carry mine:
Cargo Nets, Cargo Carriers & Cargo Accessories - Harbor Freight

I use a locking pin to prevent theft and a Cobra Lock cable around the tank to prevent the tank from walking off. I actually use a ratchet strap to hold the tank in place.
The carrier is handy for a lot of things. I also use it on my truck, and SUV as well as my ATV for all kinds of chores around home. The aluminum rack is light and easy to handle with one person.
When I am camped I remove the tank and rack and slide them under the MH and tie them together with the cable lock.
Lynn
Old 08-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #3

Would t it be easier to just drive the coach to dump station rather than dump the main tank into the portable, unhook the hose from the coach or get a second hose, get the car to hook up the portable and drive to the dump station, and then dump the portable.
If you were in a 5er or TT I can see the advantage of a portable but a MH is just not that hard to make a short trip to the dum station.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #4

Would t it be easier to just drive the coach to dump station rather than dump the main tank into the portable, unhook the hose from the coach or get a second hose, get the car to hook up the portable and drive to the dump station, and then dump the portable.
If you were in a 5er or TT I can see the advantage of a portable but a MH is just not that hard to make a short trip to the dum station.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I would rather tote a Blue boy than close up the motorhome for travel. Much less effort.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one of those inexpensive racks designed to carry lawn chairs on the ladder. And a 42 gallon barker blue boy. Pick up one end and hook the front wheel over the rack, then pick up the other end and pivot to veticlele. A bungee cord goes around it to keep it there while I put two cargo straps around it for travel.

Tow it to the dump station with the toad. A macerator pump makes it easier and cleaner to fill the blue boy, especially if difficult place to get the blue boy next to the RV. If you have a distance to travel to the dump, a cargo rack on the back of the toad works. Use macerator pump to fill while already on the rack.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
In my case it is much easier to use the tank. When we go to Watkins Glen we get there Thursday AM and stay until the follow Monday AM. We have to dump the tanks 3-4 times after toilet use, showers and dish washing. We have four of us in the MH.
We park on a site which requires some blocking under the wheels and jacks to get the MH level. Once I am set up I want to stay there. We also take along several coolers which slide under the MH to keep out of the sun as well as several lawnchairs, two Honda generators, two six foot folding tables etc. We also have the awning extended with several flags tied to it. All this would have to be moved to get the MH out then put back when the MH returns.
All I have to do is run the dump hose to the portable tank, drain the tanks and I pull the portable tank down to the dump station and drain it. It's downhill slightly going filled and empty returning. Good roads to pull on too.
The sites are 20'X40' and not a whole lot of extra space to pull out and back into.
I used to have the sanitation company hook to my MH and drain the tanks. Now they are charging $45 per dump. I have paid for my Thetford tank several times over since I have had it. I am self sufficient not having to depend on someone showing up when I need them.
Other than an occasional one night stay at a dirt track we go to full hook up campgrounds. My workplace is a mile from the city sewage water treatment plant. I can drive to work, take the MH to the plant and dump for no charge. I bring the MH back and add water to the tanks at work.
Lynn
Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #8

Do those tanks have flush valves on them? Can you keep them stink free? I wish they came in Real Tree cameo instead of blue? . I am not a neatnik (My motorhome needs a good bath) but they just aren't the most attractive accessory. No worries, I understand practicality that's why I am asking questions.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Do those tanks have flush valves on them? Can you keep them stink free? I wish they came in Real Tree cameo instead of blue? . I am not a neatnik (My motorhome needs a good bath) but they just aren't the most attractive accessory. No worries, I understand practicality that's why I am asking questions.
My Thetford is gray. It does have a flush valve on it which you hook a hose to and the water goes in against a spinner which cleans the tank. You simply drain it again. If you wanted to you could give the tank a shot of tank deodorant and a little water but I have never felt a need to. I store it outside when I use it and have no intention to sleep with it. LOL
Lynn
Old 08-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #10

You have to dump the tanks 3 to 4 times in four or five days???? That is a lot of water use. Do they come around to replenish your fresh water supply?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #11

You have another post for mail service and I answered on that one.

When we began full-timing we immediately volunteered for 8 weeks. Rather than moving our RV we bought a 'Blue Boy' and it worked fine taking it to the dump station on our car's hitch ball.

However, after that, we found that we really didn't need it because our stays in one place were usually about 7-10 days and we could go that long on our tanks, basically up to 14 days, if needed. When it was time to leave, we dumped. We used public parks 90% of our time. We sold the 'Blue Boy'.

In the future, all of our volunteering gigs gave us a full-hookup site so that worked well.

I would suggest that you not buy one right away and see how your camping routine goes. If you find you need one, I'd put it on the rear ladder. I wouldn't want it stored in our driving vehicle or even in our storage bays. Full-timers have enough in their bays!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You have to dump the tanks 3 to 4 times in four or five days???? That is a lot of water use. Do they come around to replenish your fresh water supply?
No they don't replenish my water supply. I do. There is a water faucet 165' from my site. I have a hose reel with 150' of hose on it so I pull all the hose off the reel and add a 25' hose to it and fill my tank. I camp with several folks who have been camping there for a few years. We all have hoses and often times when someone is hooked up to the faucet we will fill several camper tanks. It's not unusual to find our tank completely full when we get back from wandering around the grounds.
Good neighbors.
Lynn
Old 08-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #13

Maybe shorter showers or a shower every other day along with paper plates would help and use the porta-potties more. I can't imagine having to dump once a day with four people.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks all of you for responses. To the suggestion to take MH to dump station. Way too much hassle to unhook, put inslides and move to just dump. Do any of you have things you use to put on the ladder. Is there a rack you use or what. We tow a toad so we cant use one of the hitch carryers. Thanks guys.
revrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank