Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
If you are being harrassed, your passenger up front with a cell phone will work, too. Most cell phones now record video.

Just don't record it yourself while you are driving!

Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I've always found that laying on the air horns work well too. Most people realize that the sound of air horns usually preceeds a crash. a 4500 lb car vs a 45,000 lb motorhome is a no win for the car. I don't have a solution for those without air horns. But I do like the idea of dash cams
I mounted our air horns behind our front grille instead of on top of the windshield. The mounting was easier. For a long time, I used them a lot when I had idiots who pulled in front of me or might pull in front of me. For the last couple of years, I rarely use them.

We had a situation where a girl was texting while she was driving next to us. I tapped (and I do mean a very short chirp) on the air horn. It set her into a frenzy where she was ready to wreck us and everyone else on the road. I could not get away from her.

My view is that there are just too many road ragers out there now to risk the air horns except in a dire emergency.

The dash cam does look like a great idea.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Take the mount for your Droid phone drill a hole where the camera lines up
Download the free app. For dash cam and your set.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
People assume that this is the case and you will have to pay for them, but, as you found here, this is not so... thus the reason I suggested the dash cam. If this happens again and the OP actually hits him, he can show how the other driver was acting recklessly and with malintent.
And I've charged and won court cases similarly when I could prove the front vehicle was "brake-checking" on purpose. Absent an admission from the front vehicle's driver, it is difficult to prove however.

Dashcams are not always as wonderful as they seem. They do not have the depth or width of view, the resolution or the "capture rate" (frames per second) of the human eye. Therefore something you see out your front window may not be accurately captured by the dashcam. Additionally, it only captures out the front window and will not capture the erratic driving the road rager is displaying behind and alongside you that led to the action in front of the camera. Not saying dashcams are useless, they just have limitations and are not 100% reliable "proof" in court.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #33

You folks are refering to cars slamming on their brakes in front of you; would you believe I had a motorcycle do that to me.
If it wasn't for my wife I would have squashed him like a bug and never stopped when I ran over him. not a smart thing to do but this guy must have been nuts; motorhome VS motorcycle, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdriver View Post
And I've charged and won court cases similarly when I could prove the front vehicle was "brake-checking" on purpose. Absent an admission from the front vehicle's driver, it is difficult to prove however.

Dashcams are not always as wonderful as they seem. They do not have the depth or width of view, the resolution or the "capture rate" (frames per second) of the human eye. Therefore something you see out your front window may not be accurately captured by the dashcam. Additionally, it only captures out the front window and will not capture the erratic driving the road rager is displaying behind and alongside you that led to the action in front of the camera. Not saying dashcams are useless, they just have limitations and are not 100% reliable "proof" in court.
Here in WA it illegal to do a "brake check". Applying the brakes without any clear reason will lose your case in court if you get rear ended.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Here in WA it illegal to do a "brake check". Applying the brakes without any clear reason will lose your case in court if you get rear ended.
Its illegal everywhere... but as said, its proving it thats hard.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdriver View Post

I've been pondering the idea of using the motorhome's back-up and mirror/sideview cameras routed into a DVR of some sort. This way you could also mount a camera on the dash or at the top of the windshield and have 4 channels of video going into the DVR, and be able to show almost all of the crazy driver's path. I know there are solutions out there with 4-16 video inputs into a PCI card for a computer, but that would require making it a full computer, not just a standalone DVR. The up side of making it a computer is you can put whatever size hard drive in it you want, for much longer recording time compared to these flash card based dash cams.

This all could be mounted in a low-power PC, assuming the capture card is doing the video encoding. If it's low-enough power and/or you have enough battery capacity, you could even run it overnight as a security system.

I do see a couple standalone DVR solutions which would do just this, but it looks like they're going for $400+, which is more than I would spend.

Here's an example of a good one that's relatively low price. It can record from 4 RCA inputs to a hard drive (not included, of course). Rear View Safety Inc 4 Channel Mobile DVR RVS-871 B&H Photo I can't tell if this is recording all 4 channels separately, or combining them at lower resolution into a single channel. Multiplexing would be less helpful if you're trying to read a license plate, but would still be enough to capture the action.

When "someday" comes and I can afford a motorhome, I want to set it up like this. Until then, I'll just dream and keep reading these boards. And maybe rig something like this in my company car. I already ordered 2 of those ebay dash cams, so I can have one forward and one rear.