Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Cars vs. class A's

I have had this problem twice over the last few years and I am wondering if it is a trend. Just recently, I had a car pass me in the #1 lane, I was doing 55-60mph and towing. Once he cleared me, he cut in directly in front and hit his brakes causing me to jamb on mine, then he sped up and waved as he drove away. The first time, several years ago, I had pulled out top pass someone and I may have pulled out in front of the guy and ticked him off. This time, this car wasn't even around in my camera or mirrors. I have CA plates and I was south of Eugene OR, and I know some people in OR resent Californians. Is it just me or is this a trend others have run into?

doorguy (Barry)
04 Journey 39K
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Get a dash cam and next time hit him...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't seen it personally but have heard of it... even with semis being the victim. Sounds like just a new form of road rage. The dash cam is an interesting idea but hitting them is a better one.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lane usage

If you are in a two lane divided limited access highway, you are required to drive in the right hand land unless passing.
When you get to a three lane road you can pick your lane, but you are still required to keep to the right of the left lane if you are not up to speed.
If you choose to stay in the middle lane, you should not be harassed by anyone.
If you stay in the left lane, like it or not people are going to be upset with you if you are not travelling at warp speed.
If you stay in the right lane you are going to play chicken with the traffic that enters the highway and "thinks" that they have the right of way.. (My New York sister in law who nailed a truck getting on the highway at the Tappan Zee Bridge).
Think of it this way if you are entering a highway: should the people on the highway going 65 mph be required to slow down (and jam up traffic) to allow you the right of way cause you are entering at 40mph and not even looking to the left to see if anyone is in that lane?

So on a two lane road, no brainer, keep right unless passing and look out for those entering the highway.
On a three lane road I find the middle lane more comfortable unless I am going slower than traffic, then I belong in the right lane.
On the three lane road vehicles are allowed to pass in either of the lanes.

Time for me to breathe and get off of here.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #5

There are some rude and dangerous folks out there. I guess he was "suggesting" that you move to the slow lane. I try to stay between 60-65 on interstates. In my opinion except for perhaps when near an interchange or I see someone stopped on the shoulder if I'm not keeping up with traffic then I move to the far right lane. If I see people passing on both sides, I figure I'm in the wrong place and move over.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #6

$200 worth of security

Dash Cameras run about $200 now, I have one in our Semi Tractor. It will record for 10 hours and then start recording over, so you always have the last 10 hours. Solves lots of arguments. It seems that the truck driver is always at fault, because he always has insurance. Now he has the dash camera, and it is pretty hard to argue with proof.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Get a dash cam and next time hit him...
This is what I did (well got the dash cam, not the hit him part). Well worth the $200 I spent on it.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #8

Get the dash cam. Record the idiot. Send video to the local LEO.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem in Oregon. I had some old codger waltzing around my Moterhome trying to cut me off and hit his brakes. He tried this for about 3 or 4 miles until I got tired of his game and put him in the dirt.
Must be something in the air that get some folks riled up seeing a Motorhome with California Plates. After my incident with him I'm sure he's even more cranky these days
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Chuck 1935:

......."put him in the dirt." Geeeze, ....ya mean ya killed and then buried him ??????

(sorry, ...couldn't resist)

Steve
Old 09-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Chuck 1935:

......."put him in the dirt." Geeeze, ....ya mean ya killed and then buried him ??????

(sorry, ...couldn't resist)

Steve
Not a bad idea Steve !
But being the kind and gentle person I am I just toyed with him. If your ever up there and see a bearded old crank , driving a beat up red Yugo with grass (the real stuff ) in his grill give him my best and give him a wide berth, HE IS PI--ED
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
About five years ago, I had jury duty. It was a dump truck that hit a car in the rear. When the judge charged the jury, he cautioned us that any vehicle that rear ends another is not automatically in the wrong. We found the truck driver innocent. She had pulled in front of him and hit the breaks.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
he cautioned us that any vehicle that rear ends another is not automatically in the wrong.
People assume that this is the case and you will have to pay for them, but, as you found here, this is not so... thus the reason I suggested the dash cam. If this happens again and the OP actually hits him, he can show how the other driver was acting recklessly and with malintent.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, maybe I should get one of those cam thingys
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote