Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Cat 3126E Won't Start

I have a 2003 Newmar with a CAT 3126E 330 HP engine that refuses to start. The vehicle sat for about a year without being run due to health and other reasons. Oil and filter was changed just before storage.

Went out to start it this year and it ran for only about a half minute at about 500 rpm but wouldnt go any faster then died. Nothing since.

I changed the fuel filter with fuel in the outer chamber and still no start.

Checked engine flash codes and got 39 and 18. After the fuel filter change, the codes reversed themselves to 18 and 39.

Any ideas?

The engine has only one fuel filter with no primer pump

Leon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You very likely have a multitude of issues preventing a start/run. I checked the flash codes for my C-7 and I do not show an 18 or a 39. A quick search did not reveal any 18 or 39 explanation either. You should call your local CAT shop. Might be time for a call to 1-800-FTL-HELP also. If you have fuel, air and ignition (for a diesel that would be compression) you should at least fire. Good luck. Keep us posted with what you find.

Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Thanks for the come back. I have contacted the local CAT dealer and Freightliner. The CAT dealer at first thought it was the injector actuator valve and gave me one to try. But in the process of checking with parts, found out that my valve is internal to the injector pump and not serviceable. They are now saying I will have to tow it into their shop for analysis and service.

Freightliner told me to make sure I haven't lost fuel prime over time or in the process of changing the fuel filter. They said to do this by sealing the fuel caps by putting baggies over the fuel caps and put them back on and then pressurizing the fuel tank by putting an air pressure hose into the vent hose on the tank. The only problem with that is I can't get under the coach to find the vent hose and I don't want to put it on jacks to do that. So I guess unless someone has some other ideas, I will have to have it towed.
Leon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
You may be able to stuff a shop rag around an air hose on the fuel filler and pressurize it enough to prime it. It helps to loosen the fuel line at the engine until it flows, then pressurize it again after tightening.

I have also pulled the intake hose just after the air cleaner and sprayed WD-40 down it (it takes a lot). This lubes the engine internally so it turns over faster and will also combust enough to run briefly and prime the pump.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote