Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cat 350 c7

I have recently purchased a fleetwood revolution 2005. I have a cat 2004 350 HP c7 engine. I was on a trip when the engine started to overheat. I discovered that the coolant radiator and turbo radiator were packed with oil dry and crud. I was able to use a degreaser to get it going again,but realize it will just happen again.

I know about extending the blow by tube, but was wondering if there was a way to clean the radiator,especially since they are sandwiched together,without having to remove the radiators?
gwarshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #2

Spray degreaser and a hose just like you are doing. If it is really bad let the degreaser soak for a period of time and then blast it with the hose again.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarshawsky View Post
I have recently purchased a fleetwood revolution 2005. I have a cat 2004 350 HP c7 engine. I was on a trip when the engine started to overheat. I discovered that the coolant radiator and turbo radiator were packed with oil dry and crud. I was able to use a degreaser to get it going again,but realize it will just happen again.

I know about extending the blow by tube, but was wondering if there was a way to clean the radiator,especially since they are sandwiched together,without having to remove the radiators?
Your C-7 has the same radiator/CAC setup as the 3126E. Check out this prior post on the subject of cleaning rear radiator MH's and make sure you do one of the slobber/breather tube mods which will eliminate future clogging problems

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/over...6-a-53952.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/slob...ons-75260.html
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to what IMHO is one of the biggest design flaws of the C7.

As has already been pointed out, you will need to do a VERY thorough cleaning of the radiator & CAC, and this must be done annually, at a minimum.

There's also a good chance that your engine oil dipstick has never been calibrated, and you are over-filling the crankcase, forcing the excess oil out of the crankcase ventilation tube (slobber tube), which will then get sucked into your radiator.

After you do the above, many of us C7 owners have modified the slobber tube by either extending it past the radiator or adding some sort of oil blow-by catch can.

I highly recommend you join the Cat RV Club Forum where this issue has been discussed in detail, with many of the discussions saved in the "Files" section.

iRV2 also has a good Cat engine owner's section where this has been discussed.

I have some good info saved on my hard drive at home on this topic. Feel free to PM me, and I can email it to you when we return home.

Happy trails!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P.

As has already been pointed out, you will need to do a VERY thorough cleaning of the radiator & CAC, and this must be done annually, at a minimum.

There's also a good chance that your engine oil dipstick has never been calibrated, and you are over-filling the crankcase, forcing the excess oil out of the crankcase ventilation tube (slobber tube), which will then get sucked into your radiator.

After you do the above, many of us C7 owners have modified the slobber tube by either extending it past the radiator or adding some sort of oil blow-by catch can.

I highly recommend you join the Cat RV Club Forum where this issue has been discussed in detail, with many of the discussions saved in the "Files" section.

I have some good info saved on my hard drive at home on this topic. Feel free to PM me, and I can email it to you whe return home.

Happy trails!

Craig
That'all well and good but how do I get a hose in between the 2. Radiator's?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P.

I have some good info saved on my hard drive at home on this topic. Feel free to PM me, and I can email it to you when we return home.

Happy trails!

Craig
That's all well and good but how do iget a hose in between the 2 radiators?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a high pressure transmission line leak that sprayed my radiators causing them to clog. Cat had to remove them to properly clean and the bill was over $1600. Kinda takes a lot of fun out of a trip.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
That's all well and good but how do iget a hose in between the 2 radiators?
Allow me to repeat myself....do some Cat RV Club & iRV2 forum research on the subject. You cannot get a garden hose in between the CAC & radiator.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
It really has nothing to do with the design of the C-7, CAT has a good unit there. It's up to the RV chassis manufacturer to provide the specified cooling package.
It's much cheaper to go with a rear radiator/CAC than a side radiator/CAC and CAT doesn't make that decision, the RV manufacturer does that according to their budget.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
It really has nothing to do with the design of the C-7, CAT has a good unit there.
I was referring to the design and positioning of the slobber tube, which is a Cat design. IMHO they should have gone with a closed crankcase system from the start. The dipstick issue I'm told is the fault of the chassis manufacturer.

I guess I shouldn't finger point, since there are three different manufacturers that could be responsible any particular flaw.

Craig

Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craig, the oil dipstick is installed by the coach manufacture. It all depends on where the coach manufacture wants to install it. The same goes for the radiator. However the crankcase slobber tube is a caterpillar fault.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Are you sure you have a CAT 350 and not a Cummins 350 ISC? Regardless the radiator and CAC should be cleaned regularly.

Good luck