Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Bud ,I would drain about 2 gallons out and see what your dip stick says and go from there, you might have to drain a bit more to get it to the high mark. If you drain to much out you can always put it back in. If you think you marks are off and you have the ability I would just drain the oil and pull the filter and drain it, then fill the filter and install it and then refill and do the calibration of the stick, then you know it is done right and saved a 80 mile trip to see people that screwed it up to Begin with. Have you called the shop Foreman and told him of this problem? I am afraid if they were going to do the work at this point that they would be sending a service truck to me to do the work, you should not have to do the work and drain high levels of oil after paying for this service. Maybe a call above the service manager is in order here. Good luck Bud....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did better than that, I drove the car back and went in in person. They refunded the cost of the extra oil that they say they didnt really put in. Then they want me to drive it back over so they can drain the extra oil they did't put in . Said it wouldn't hurt anything to drive it No way am I going to drive it

Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Bud, I think at this point if I were you I would probably drain off enough to get it down to the factory full mark or maybe a little lower and drive it. At that point it should be low enough to not do any real damage if over filled a little. The joy of owning a diesel is that they will seek their own oil level so after a couple thousand miles if it was over it will have dumped it out the slobber tube. Unless there is something drastically wrong diesel engines just do not use oil so don't add any. I believe you already posted that you have not modified the slobber tube so the worst that will happen is you will get oil film on your toad. Then the next oil change either take it somewhere where they will calibrate the dipstick or do it yourself.

However; I do have one other question. Is yours a rear radiator coach and if so are you familiar with the problems associated with the overheating being caused by the oil film from the slobber tube?
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Bud, I think at this point if I were you I would probably drain off enough to get it down to the factory full mark or maybe a little lower and drive it. At that point it should be low enough to not do any real damage if over filled a little. The joy of owning a diesel is that they will seek their own oil level so after a couple thousand miles if it was over it will have dumped it out the slobber tube. Unless there is something drastically wrong diesel engines just do not use oil so don't add any. I believe you already posted that you have not modified the slobber tube so the worst that will happen is you will get oil film on your toad. Then the next oil change either take it somewhere where they will calibrate the dipstick or do it yourself.

However; I do have one other question. Is yours a rear radiator coach and if so are you familiar with the problems associated with the overheating being caused by the oil film from the slobber tube?
Yes its rear radiator coach and it looks like the slobber tube is out behind the radiator, at least there is a tube that extends under the raidiator. Like I said I just got it in Nov. and havent been able to explore under the engine because of the weather here in Ohio. Im goin to pull the excess oil out through the dipstick tube and add the famous peanutbutter jar catch on the slobber tube to catch the oil film untill I get this straightened out. Thanks for the good info.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #19

I have read this with great interest. I have a 2012 Tiffin Breeze with the maxforce 7 engine. I just changed the oil and filter. Drained until no drops left. The book calls for 19qts. I added 18.5 qts. stopped and started the engine to let filter fill. Shut down and let set for about 1 hour, pulled dip stick and the level is about 1/4 inch above the full mark. I have read about dangers of overfilling and I did not add the other 1/2 qt. Now I am concerned that I may need to drain a little off which is very messy. In reading this I wonder if I add the full 19 qts as the book calls for, that the dip stick is just wrong and I should remark it. Is it common for the dipstick to be wrong? I would think if the factory calls for 19 qts of oil you should put in 19 qts of oil. I used 1 gallon jugs with the markings on them so I know I have the correct amout. Should I drain it or should I just note the fill mark and move on. Also there is talk about a slobber tube, anyone know where this is on the Maxforce 7? I do notice sometimes that I have a black crap down the right side of my tow sometimes, is this the product of what is called a slobber tube?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #20

Interesting, I have always checked the oil in an engine that had just been run so that the level in the pan was based on the engine with oil in all the galleys.

I read this years ago relating to gas engines, assumed the same for a diesel.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #21

harp54, 1/2quart will not be a problem high or low, but if you manual says 19q and your dipstick says full at 18q then I'd remark the full and add lines ,up the dipstick to correct, both.
Many newer diesel engines 08 and up have done away with the infamous slobber tube and gone with a system similar to a gas engines PCV system.
The occasional black on the right of your toad, could be due to the DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter )burn off cycle, blowing out specs of carbon.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Interesting, I have always checked the oil in an engine that had just been run so that the level in the pan was based on the engine with oil in all the galleys.

I read this years ago relating to gas engines, assumed the same for a diesel.
Diesels , MH and P/Us , oil level should be checked only after a , minimum 1 hour shut down ; preferably overnight shut down. 15/40 weight oil takes a while to work it's way back to the pan. Gas engine oil level check can be fairly accurate after a 5 min. shut down, but overnight is again preferred.
There will be oil in some of the galleries all the time , that oil does not drain into the pan, my Cat manual lists an overhaul ( engine completely striped down ) oil fill of 22q verses 19q for a regular service, so 3q is hung up in various areas in the head, pumps , rocker shafts ,etc.
Maintaining a proper level in the pan, is important, so there is enough oil for engine function but not too much , where a high oil level can come in contact with the crankshaft and cause frothing of the oil , and splashing up the piston bores and that can cause overheating and oil consumption.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
See pages 200 through 203 in the attached CAT Maintenance Manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAT Maintenance Schedule SEBU8083-09 M.pdf (608.0 KB, 30 views)
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
harp54, 1/2quart will not be a problem high or low, but if you manual says 19q and your dipstick says full at 18q then I'd remark the full and add lines ,up the dipstick to correct, both.
Many newer diesel engines 08 and up have done away with the infamous slobber tube and gone with a system similar to a gas engines PCV system.
The occasional black on the right of your toad, could be due to the DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter )burn off cycle, blowing out specs of carbon.
Good information, I did not think I had a breather tube (slobber tube) The Maxxforce 7 does not use DEF either. If that is the case would I still have a DPF filter? have not read about that, where would it be located? I have been seeking he source of that black goo on the tow car. The exhaust is on the left this stuff is going down the right corner of the car. Not always just sometimes, more on long trips. I have felt it was coming from the air dryer exhaust, it seems to have the same type stuff on the base of that exhust port. I read that this pulls out the water, and oil before going into the air system. I just thought it was the oil water mixture being shot out the bottom of this dryer. If not for the toad I would never know about it. Or could be road grime from the wheels, but always on the right so I X that thought.
Regarding the oil I will go with the 1/4 above the full mark as not a problem. During my last change the level only drop just below full mark during the whole 5400 miles I drove it. Thanks for the input this is my first Diesel and it has been a real learning expirence.
Steve
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #25

harp54, Cummins and other engine makers started using DPFs to help control tailpipe smoke, in 07, the system has some similarities to a gas engine catalytic convertor , in the exhaust system the DPF looks like a second muffler with sensors in the pipes before and after it. During engine warm up , when diesels tended to smoke the worst, the DPF catches and stores the carbon & other stuff, that makes up the smoke, then during full temp engine operation, the engine controller runs a clean out ( re-generation ) cycle . Usually once every 8 hours of engine run time.
DEF was added in later years to improve emissions even further.
Air dryer discharge , is a possibility, but I'd think that anything spraying from there would hang up on the undercarriage of the MH before it got to the toad. Of course that is location dependant , mine is beside the drive shaft.
The R Side of the toad is exposed to grime that the right dual wheels pick up from the edge of the road side; but that's usually dirt and rock chips.
I should also mention that many owners that did re-calibrate their dipsticks reported 2>3q differences in accuracy .
Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I followed the oil change instructions on Cat bullentin ( for Cat C-7 shallow pan )to calibrate dip stick, 17 qts marked stick, then ran motor to fill filter, then filled to new mark, it took 18.5total, first 500 miles of trip it blew out the 1.5 qts added, ended up back at the factory full mark level on dip stick, I assume that the dipstick is correct, motor won't keep 19 qts
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmacs View Post
I followed the oil change instructions on Cat bullentin ( for Cat C-7 shallow pan )to calibrate dip stick, 17 qts marked stick, then ran motor to fill filter, then filled to new mark, it took 18.5total, first 500 miles of trip it blew out the 1.5 qts added, ended up back at the factory full mark level on dip stick, I assume that the dipstick is correct, motor won't keep 19 qts
My parents had a 56 Chrysler that did the same thing, would run on the add mark for a full oil change , if you filled to the full it would be at add in a 100 miles. Can't ask if he ever tried calibrating the dipstick.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #28

Again thanks for the input. The oil level for the MaxxForce 7 calls for 19 qts of oil, which includes the filter and (what I forgot about) the oil cooler. When drained you are not going to get that oil or whats up in the upper part of the engine, which is easy a quart. If you change your oil at the 10,000 mile point you are more then likely a qt low. So putting in 19 qts is all good. But the engine manfacture recommends 6 months or 10,000 miles which ever comes first. Well I no way do 10K in 6 months, when I did my change I noticed the dipstick being just below the full mark. When I put back in 18.5 qts was just above the full mark by 1/4 inch. I reach the conclusion that is not a big deal. But in the future I will drain and add only 17 and check then add what is needed to bring to full. If you add 19 qts every time you change the oil and it's full to start with you will be increasing the oil level by 1 qt each time. Do you think shops pay that much attention to the volume? They do not have time to let sit for 1 hour to check the levels after adding. They just add what it calls for and move on. So Breeze owners don't add the full 19 qts hold back and adjust as needed.
Regarding the black goo on the tow on the right side the front corner of my honda fit aligns just right with the rear wheels. I guess they are picking up enough tar and oil on the side of the road to leave streaks down the front corner.
Steve

Tags
cat