Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cat C7 Dipstick Calibrate level

After you calibrate the dipstick on a Cat C7 for the the 19 qts aprox. Where should the new full and add line be?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Bud, I believe the factory marks are 1 gallon apart from low to full. If you are going to do this pick a 2 quart, 3 quart, or what ever you want to use. So lets say you want the low mark to be 3 quarts low put 16 quarts in, let it settle good and then pull the stick and take a dremel tool or a file to put a new mark on the stick for the low level. Now put the 3 other quarts in and after settling time mark the high level on the stick. Done
Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

With your coach on level ground and shut down overnight, the oil level shown on the dip stick is your new full mark. Measure the distance between the original full and add marks and mark a new add line the same distance below the new full line .
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Best explanation for calibrating the C7 dipstick here Calibrating the engine oil dip stick
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, I was just wondering if the new full mark would be at or below the old add mark. Just for a reference when I do it.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That is tough to say. From what I have read the frame with the engine installed is delivered to the manufacturer. Due to different design configurations the final placement of the oil dipstick and tube will vary from coach to coach. This will change how deep into the pan the dipstick goes. The only way to know for sure is to do the calibration.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Best explanation for calibrating the C7 dipstick here Calibrating the engine oil dip stick

That explanation is the way I did mine - 17 quarts let it sit and then mark the low oil level and then add two more quarts.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Does the 19 quart capacity in a C-7 include the oil filter?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yes! Read the link in my post #4. Add 17 qts then run the engine (this fills the oil filter) let it set then check the oil level and mark the dipstick (add oil mark) . Add 2 quarts (makes 19 total) let it set awhile then check and mark dipstick (full level). kudos to Brett Wolfe for a geat article. Now if people would just read it.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Yes! Read the link in my post #4. Add 17 qts then run the engine (this fills the oil filter) let it set then check the oil level and mark the dipstick (add oil mark) . Add 2 quarts (makes 19 total) let it set awhile then check and mark dipstick (full level). kudos to Brett Wolfe for a geat article. Now if people would just read it.
I did read it!!! I just wondered if it included the oil filter!! Or if it was 17 quarts PLUS the filter. When I do oil changes I fill the filter, then install it. This way the engine gets oil quicker.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
I did read it!!! I just wondered if it included the oil filter!! Or if it was 17 quarts PLUS the filter. When I do oil changes I fill the filter, then install it. This way the engine gets oil quicker.
Ok! It did not say pre fill the oil filter it said install 17 quarts then run the engine . This is probably not the way I would do an oil change either but this is just once to calibrate the dip stick . Running the engine then fills the oil filter no matter what the size , Then mark the add level and install 2 more quarts and mark the full level. . I am afraid you are a lot like me and want to read more into directions than are actually there . No offense meant .
Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Ok! It did not say pre fill the oil filter it said install 17 quarts then run the engine . This is probably not the way I would do an oil change either but this is just once to calibrate the dip stick . Running the engine then fills the oil filter no matter what the size , Then mark the add level and install 2 more quarts and mark the full level. . I am afraid you are a lot like me and want to read more into directions than are actually there . No offense meant .

Ok thanks. How do I know if the dipstick has already been calibrated? I am not the first owner of the coach.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If it only has the original factory marks (no file or dremel cuts on the dipstick) I would assume it has not been calibrated. The factory marks could be right but, the odds are they are not. Something you might want to do for future owners or even service shops is place a tag on the dipstick tube indicating the dipstick has been recalibrate and also listing the oil capacity for your engine.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did read the post on calibration. I thought I read someplace where the old add mark became the new full mark. In a prior post I had a PM done by Freightliner in Columbus, Ohio and was charged for 40 qts of Oil. This put the oil level about 1 1/2-2" above the full mark. I have to drain some of the oil out so it will be safe to drive it back over so they can drain the oil an replace it with the correct amount. Notice I said charged as they are not sure how much they really put in but we know its above the full mark and the dipstick has not been calibrated. I was looking to see about how much to drain for it to be safe. I just got this unit in Non.
I just got this unit in Nov.

Tags
cat