Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cat C7 Oil Change by Freightliner

I had my new to me 2006 Discovery with a Cat C7 into Freightliner for complete service so I could start off like new. When I got home and looked at the bill it had " 40 0010/BULK15W40 Bulk Oil $3.15 $126" It looks to me like they put 40 qts of oil in my C7 which takes 19. I checked the dipstick and it was way over the full mark and it had not been calibrated. I'm going back to Freightliner tomorrow and question this. I have to drive 40 miles to get there and will this hurt the engine if it is overfull? I had everything done Oil/ Trans fluids and Filter changed, fuel filters changed and air dryer serviced. This is all new to me. What do you think? I thought I was doing it right by going to a Freightliner Service Center here in Ohio and would be ready to go.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
C7 oil overfill

I myself would not drive my Cat C7 with over twice the oil what is reccomended 5 miles to say 40 miles is out of the question. Just my belief. Blown seals on the crankcase would be one of my concerns and pressurization of the pan and aeration of the oil itself another. Bubbles in the oil can cause the oil pump to cavitate and cause oil problems for the rod and crankshaft bearings, just my opinion.
I woulld call The dealer and ask them what do they want you to do and let them make the decision.
lyledavid

Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Well it looks like they at least charged you for 40 quarts. Call them for sure before driving it. One of the better things about diesels is they will throw the excess out the slobber tube so I would not be too worried about driving it. My question to you is have you installed one of the home made remedies to your slobber tube such as a collection bottle to keep oil off your toad? If so check to make sure it has not filled up with oil as that will cause back pressure and do harm to the engine. On my 04 Cat there was a screen type filter where the slobber tube leaves the engine. I would make them clean that after they drain the excess oil.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
This is why I always look at the paper work before I leave any business.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
This is why I always look at the paper work before I leave any business.
Great suggestion!

I can see how a novice would do such a blunder, but for a supposedly Freightliner shop to do such a thing - I would definitely look for another shop!

I had overfilled my C7 once by about 3 quarts. When I pointed out to the mechanic (a Cummins garage), they drained out the excess, and didn't even charge me for it. I certainly wouldn't drive it 40 miles with that much oil! My 2 cents!

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was there 12 1/2 hrs waiting on everythign to get done and got home after 10pm. I drove it the 40 miles to get it home. Im going to drive back over tomorrow in the car, with the bill and see what they have to say
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I havent got around to putting the slobber tube bottle on yet so that might be a good thing.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #8

Is "way over" about 1/2 inch? And extra 21 qts should show way WAY up the stick.
Invoice may have shown 40 just cuz it is standard qty in big rigs.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes it's about 1/2 inch. Thats what has me confused. Would the engine hold 40 qts of oil? On the bill it looks like they charged me for the 40 qts
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I would call them first and ask what the 400010 stands for. Second, it's hard to believe 40 quarts of oil would be only 1/2 inch above the fill on your dip stick. Actually 10 gallons of oil would probably fill your engine to the top!!! You definitely would have noticed something over your 40 mile trip home??? My guess (and I wouldn't act on a guess) is that 19 quarts @ $3.15 quart is around $60. Add another $60 for the labor and your in your $126 ball park with tax. But you have to find out one way or the other before turning the key.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #11

If the dip stick is on full then they over charged you. No way does it hold 40 quarts.If the dip stick is over flowing have one one them come drain it out and document for future damage.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just checked again after it set for while and it about 1 1/2 inches over the full mark. Labor was an additional charge. The $126 was just for the oil. The labor for the PM was $332
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I would call them first and ask what the 400010 stands for. Second, it's hard to believe 40 quarts of oil would be only 1/2 inch above the fill on your dip stick. Actually 10 gallons of oil would probably fill your engine to the top!!! You definitely would have noticed something over your 40 mile trip home??? My guess (and I wouldn't act on a guess) is that 19 quarts @ $3.15 quart is around $60. Add another $60 for the labor and your in your $126 ball park with tax. But you have to find out one way or the other before turning the key.

The 40 was under qty The 0010BULK15W40 was under item.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #14

This exact thing happened to me at Freightliner Vancouver. C7 is a shallow pan. Engine serial # should be a yellow sticker on the lower part of the engine/pan.That should give them the proper quantity should they bother to look it up. Mine takes 18 Ltrs/19 gal with filter change. In my case the techs used a "cheat sheet" applicable to C7 truck engine with a deep pan......28 ltrs or so! No way physically could the engine hold 30 or 40 gals.
I don`t use Freightliner Vancouver for this and many other incidents that have occured. Don`t recommend them either.

Tags
cat, freightliner