Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
CAT CX28 Transmission (is it as good as Alison)

So far I've not been able to find much on this transmission. I read a post where someones friend had one in a CC Allure and liked it, but the coach was still fairly new to them and really had not had time to show it's durability.

I'm considering a 2008 Country Coach Inspire 360. The engine/trans options that year were a 425 CAT C9 with the CX28 Cat trans. or a 425 Cummins ISL with an Alison trans. I know the Alison to be a fine transmission but wanted to hear from anyone that owns a coach with the CX28 and has put some miles on it.

2004 Country Coach Intrigue Ovation 525
2007 Chevy Silverado 4x4 toad
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
I personally'would be highly reluctant to buy anything with a Caterpillar label on it. This,in light of their hard nose corporate attitude toward labour unions(read people),closing plants where people had worked for most of their lives.This may happen in a town near you!

04 Southwind 37C W22

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
the cx28 is a good, solid trans. the only thing I know of that some people didn't like is the shifting is very positive, harsh. Cat is a great company and every experience I have had with them has been great. have been dealing with them over 40 yrs. . lots of places that are easy to get to and convenient.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
If you are thinking of a Country Coach you shold go over to Yahoo Groups and join and see if someone there can answer your questions.
2 stroker
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
There's a good and bad side to that transmission.

It was built for those gigantic Tonka-like dump trucks, so it's super tough.

But they weren't worrying about shifting smoothness, so they're reported to have a very HARD shift. Also, I don't believe CAT stations are all as knowledgeable about how to service or fix, while Alison locations are all over the place.

But, Country Coach felt so strongly about them, they put them in the dream "Rhapsody" coaches that sold for $1m.

I think a test drive will tell you quickly if you love or hate it.

My two cents.
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
I'll take that two cents and add it to my bank of knowledge. If I find a cat/cat combo locally, I'll definitely take a ride and see how it performs. I do have an excellent Cat service center about six miles from my house, but whatever I buy, I want to see it in my possession more than in the service centers possession.

2004 Country Coach Intrigue Ovation 525
2007 Chevy Silverado 4x4 toad
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote

cat, transmission