Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
Originally Posted by Mdhcols View Post
Hi all! First let me thank all of you who have responded to me in the past. Having been a desk jockey during my working life, I'm not the best mechanic and your info has been very helpful.

I have a 2000 Allegro Bus with the 300 HP Cat engine and 99K. While not a speed demon, it has been very reliable the last 20,000 miles I have owned it. Every 12 months I have all all filters and oil changed. Yesterday, while coming up I-95 the engine started to back off on power. After awhile my top speed was 45-50 on flat highway. There was nothing in the accelerator when I pushed on it. The engine sounded normal to me outside listening to it but no punch.
We finally limped to our destination in Southern Georgia. When I parked, I revved it very slightly and got lots of black smoke coming from the exhaust. Never had any before ever. I have always taken that to mean running too rich and not enough air mixture. Honestly I know little about the engine. Someone asked me if I had water in the filter and I am scratching my head on that one.

Just wondered if there were any things I could check before I get the courage to take it to some local shop down here? BTW it has been 12 months and about 7K since last oil and filter change so it is due now.

As always, thank much for any input.

Well Mike,
Based on your report, and the way you described the issue, I'd vote for a turbo and related plumbing issue. I kind-a doubt that, if you were just cruising along and ALL OF A SUDDEN you lost power, that it's an intake system problem. Can that happen, I guess but, rarely does an intake issue, especially a clogging of the air filter happen all of a sudden. I've read many reports of the same exact symptoms and, about 98% of the issues was either a bad turbo or, the clamp that holds the exhaust the turbo came loose or broke and, you have no turbo boost.

Hence, the really slow revving in the parked mode. And, I doubt also that you have an algae problem in your diesel after only two months of parking. Heck, we've parked for 6 months and not one issue of algae has ever cropped up, not even a hint.

As for the HEUI pump going bad in with those kind of symptoms, well, I'm no expert on this but, I also think that's a long shot.

But, I'd open up the engine compartment, however you can do it, and take a look-see at all that turbo plumbing, from the exhaust side to the intake side and make sure your connected and tight with everything that has to do with that turbo system and, the CAC or, "Cold Air Controller" and it's related hoses and clamps. Good luck and please post if you find something obvious.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #16
I'm truly sorry for your problems, but I'm considering buying a used DP, and threads like this really help me understand what's going on back under the bed. Thanx to all who contribute their knowledge.

Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #17
You said you last fueled up 2 months ago, condensation and algae can form in your tank, Check you water separator at the fuel filter, you'll know you have one if you see a glass bowl at the bottom of the filter. Check for water at the bottom. Fuel will be above the water. Open drain to let water out. I use a great product called K100, here is the link: Fuel Treatment and Gas Additive | Fuel Additive | Kinetic Fuel Technology Inc

This won't solve you issues but will help your entire fuel system. If you are near a CAT shop, drop in and chat with the shop foreman or one of the veteran mechanics. Chances are they have dealt with this exact problem before. According to other members, it has happened before.

Good luck.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #18
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First thing to check is fuel filter..a clogged/clogging fuel filter will cause these systems (I know people hear smoke and think too much fuel but there are other things in play here where a clogged fuel filter will cause poor injection -> poor burn -> smoke). Second thing to do is inspect the air system..filter to turbo looking for a popped line or a loose clamp in the pressurized part of the air system.

FYI you may have more than one fuel filter..I have a big racor installed remotely then a smaller secondary filter right by the injection pump.
1995 BlueBird BMC 37
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1984 BlueBird Wanderlodge FC35RB-Sold
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #19
Just to update everyone. I had the air filter, two fuel filters, as well as the oil and filter changed. The coach runs great now. The mechanic poured a pile of dirt out of the air filter! I am certain that the last service company I paid to replace it did not do so. From now on I WATCH the work. Thanks also to you guys who suggested checking for a second fuel filter on top....it was there. No one who did previous work mentioned it.
This forum has been a great help to me several times. Thanks so much!

Regards and safe travels.
2000 Allegro Bus DP with 3126B Cat now running great!
Mdhcols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #20
Thor Owners Club
Great news and lessons learned.

Being retired, I have a lot of time to tinker around with the coach. Having taken auto mechanics in HS and working in a shop some 30 years ago gave me a little basic issues. But working on a MH is like a whole other language and all the contributors here sure are appreciated!!!

As you mentioned watching and seeing what is done on your coach. I also like to see parts replaced saved for my inspection.

Thanks everyone for your help coaching me along the way! Also thanks for the leads on places to order parts and filters!!
06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:46 AM   #21
Originally Posted by Mdhcols View Post
Just to update everyone. The mechanic poured a pile of dirt out of the air filter! I am certain that the last service company I paid to replace it did not do so.
Regards and safe travels.
2000 Allegro Bus DP with 3126B Cat now running great!

Same thing when I performed the first service on our new to us coach. Although the previous owner paid over $300 for the air filter plus labor, when I removed filter I found a date that was the same year as the coach. I found several other things he paid premium prices for that I suspect were never done. It pays to be vigilant and if its possible, observe all work.

I'm glad you got her up and running and purring like a cat!
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #22

Thanks for posting , that you're up and running.
Question. Did the shop cut open the fuel filters , or report that algae was found?
I'm thinking that although the air filter was very dirty , the drop of power was more than likely a fuel supply issue, and you may be in for a repeat of the issue.
Because the fuel system has a return to tank, for unused fuel from the engine, by the time you've used a tank of fuel, it's been through the filters 7 or more times, any dirt or algae in the tank gets into the filters quickly, and they plug up fast.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #23
Very lucky you caught the bad filter in time. We were not as lucky as it cost about 18K to replace the engine due to a hole in the air filter. The previous owner failed to maintain the filter and it had blown a huge hole through the filter.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #24
Lesson learned here is simple.

ALWAYS request parts to be placed in a box for your inspection.

Second suggestion is to be able to mark new parts first.

Let's just assume many places that service rv assume they are travelers and the customer is passing through so likely to never return.

So they may charge for parts hard to see.

We bought our company F250 diesel and it had regular fleet service but fuel and air filters were not changed...paid for but not.

So when you have someplace to do service have a sharpie in your pocket and ask the service writer to bring out all planned parts so you can write your name and date on all of them.

Cartridges get something scratched in with a tool engraving pen.

This is when you tell them that all parts removed need you to see them as proof of work.

For oil filters these usually are dropped into the drain but yiu can usually see those by looking but air filters and fuel filters not so much.

Doing these actions puts the servicer on notice and for some reason they usually do better work...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #25
I love it when I go back behind a shop I've paid to do the work and I find stuff that had not been done.

The only reason I use the shops is time, I don't have a lot of it when I get home to do all the maintenance myself, but I do check since I know what I'm looking for.

I've gotten full refunds from shops for all labor to keep me from filling complaints with the BBB, or when you mention small claims court its a wrap.

Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #26
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I love it when I go back behind a shop I've paid to do the work and I find stuff that had not been done.

The only reason I use the shops is time, I don't have a lot of it when I get home to do all the maintenance myself, but I do check since I know what I'm looking for.

I've gotten full refunds from shops for all labor to keep me from filling complaints with the BBB, or when you mention small claims court its a wrap.

I would get the refund AND file a complaint.

Why make a deal and let it happen to the next guy ?

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

cat, engine