Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Cat proof fabric

We are thinking of having all the furniture and front seats in the MH redone. Currently it is all leather decorated over the years by our cats. We have one left and at 18 years old it appears she might out last us. I've heard that Microfiber fabric can't be torn up by cat claws, is this true?? Or is there something else that would work?? No, can't shoot her. Declawing is out of the question at her age..

Anyone travel with cats and have claw proof fabric????????????????
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
First we trim the cats nails. That helps. At 18 years of age, wait a little and it won't be a problem.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
She'll be around for a long time, physically fit and plays with my dogs every day. Indoor cats typically live 18-22, I think Murray is going for the record for oldest living cat.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Believe me. I know first hand that if a cat can get a claw in it, it can destroy it. This includes microfibre
Old 06-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Two have claws, one no front claws, one completely declawed. Yes microfiber will hold-up much better, after two years no snags.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Mine has added air perforations to my drivers seat. Although I'm not happy with his modification he pretty much rules our life. Cats rule!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you want cat proof fabric: Google: Chain Mail

Yes, there are still people who make it.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #8

SGT...you have brought up an interesting topic and any cat lover might attest that cat proofing furniture is a real difficult ordeal. There have been a couple of "no scratch" ideals that I have employed to places I want our cats to consider off limits. One material is Knitted Quilts...you might think this insane since a quilt will be destroyed by a cat. But we have found that where a cat can get its claws stuck in the material and need to fight with the snags....they usually avoid and we have used some spray type deterrents.
3 Ways to Prevent Cat Scratching
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #9

Cat proof fabric

I recommend Soft Paws or other brand. For $20 it Works great. It's plastic nail caps that goes over the cats claws. All you have to do is trim the claws normally, wipe the claws and put on caps works just like women's press on nails. They fall off as the claws grow. 1pkg last me a whole year. I only cap the front claws. They make them for dogs also.

https://www.softpaws.com
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

The Price of Kitty Love

I sympathize with your plight. Our leather is also well ventilated by our 15 year old cat. He doesn't quite have the same push with his hind legs so he uses his upper body to pull himself up. We use quilts and steps next to the furniture so he can walk up instead of doing pull ups. I have bought sacrificial seat covers that I use when the coach is parked at a camp ground. When it comes time to upgrade I will certainly consider microfiber. Our microfiber couches at home have held up well.

Bill
mrbodywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Microfiber does hold up better. Our cats have decorated our RV furniture too. Just part of living with cats.

Tags
cat, roof