Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This is a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge question. I prefer the Cummins because there so many more around than Cat. Is it true that Cat no longer makes engines for RVs...if so, that's even more reason for a Cummins?

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #30

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
T Is it true that Cat no longer makes engines for RVs...if so, that's even more reason for a Cummins?
I can't possibly see why the fact that CAT doesn't currently make RV engines in any way affects what MH you purchase. There are many thousands of CAT on-highway engines of all sizes in trucks and other vehicles on the road. The CAT service network covers the entire US.

Furthermore, virtually any decent truck or RV mechanic has serviced plenty of CAT engines, along with those built by Cummins and Detroit Diesel. In the long run having your MH engine serviced by an RV dealer is a very expensive way to keep it maintained. IMHO truck service facilities are cheaper, faster, and often have better trained staffs than RV dealerships.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Cat not making on road engines any more didn't even enter into our decision. There's a dedicated CAT service facility here in Durango (population ~16,000) for the nearest certified Cummins facility I'd have to go to Farmington NM about 50 miles away. Thankfully there's an independent who is fast, reasonable and good at what they do.

As for Ford/Chevy/Dodge true to a point but nobody's done any real mud slinging yet so it's far too civil to be one of those

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Cat not making on road engines any more didn't even enter into our decision.
I was just the opposite, if the coach we saw had a Cat engine, we ruled it out. Since they were not making them any more and it was obvious there were many more Cummins, for me, Cummins was the choice. That's not to infer the Cat is a bad engine because it is certainly not. I just felt more comfortable, especially for the long time we expect to keep this coach, with a Cummins. Kind if like a Pontiac or Oldsmobile, there are lots on the road, plenty of places to get serviced, but I would not buy one if I was going to keep it 15 years. JMHO...
Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #33

Just remember cat. is still in business globally they stop making on highway engines because of EPA crap. And the are rumors they will start again. They build a top quality engine. Look at all the heavy duty,equipment with cat engines,marine engines,generators you see cat everywhere. I would choose a coach with the chassis I wanted with either cat. or cummins
Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I have owned a Cummins 8.3 ISC which ran fine and had plenty of power and I had to replace the leaking lift pump and the high pressure fuel accumulator. I now have a 2009 Cat C9. It runs great and pulls hard but, I have had it in the shop 3 times for emmisions problems, all related to what Cat calls the ARD head. The first two times they ran some ARD head cleaning fluid through the fuel system and cleared the check engine light. Both times Cat would not pay as they said it was a typical maintenance item(even though the manual mentions nothing about this maintenance). The third time I brought it in for another check engine light, it was the ARD head again. This time they replaced the ARD head and cleared the light again. Haven't put many miles on it since. Although the Cat runs great and I pull a 28' enclosed trailer with a race car in it, I don't think I would buy another emissions Cat again.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #35

Cat 300 hp

We purchased a used 2000 Winn 40J with a 300hp cat could use a little more power but still at 9.4 mpg who cares as we have plenty of time I still pull the I5 Grapevine at 35 and we pull a Dodge Dakota 4 Wheel drive 4 door, the newer units blow by me on the grades, but down the road we usually catch up. Yes 9.4
Old 12-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
I ditto the side radiator as well, Wish I had one
Old 12-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #37

Having worked in the fire service for 35 years, I have driven and worked on both Cat and Cummins, as well as international and Detroits (which I believe the Series 60 was the best ever built). But that's just another subjective opinion.

With that said, we have a saying in the FD; "nothing purrs like a Cat, but nothing pulls like a Cummins". I prefer a 2007-2010 Cummins for the following reasons; prior to 2007, there were no emission controls to speak of and sulphur fuels were everywhere. After 2007 particulate filter systems were installed on all new engines and the switch to ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) fuels was made. The problem with pre-2007 engines is that the fuel systems didn't like the fuel and would develop leaks around "O" rings. Making overhaul of many of our fuel delivery systems necessary. Mind you not all of our pre-2007 engines had this issue, but we now use additives where we never had to before other than anti fungal stuff.

On the other hand, post 2011 engines have much more complicated electronic systems that allow regenning of the exhaust system that burn off excessive particulates that are collected there. This regen process makes copious amounts of heat, and requires the engine to run at certain speeds to complete the operation. This had led us to raise cabs and install heat shielding blankets to not "bake" the Cab or personnel in it. Imagine what that heat would do to a fiberglass enclosure if not vented correctly. Our problem has been the system has not worked as advertised, and all of our new engine equipped apparatus have been in the shop several times to fix the electronic portion of the system but to no avail. It has gotten so bad that the CA Fire Mechanics Association is trying to get emergency vehicles exempted from the system because when the regen system fails it sends the engine into "limp" mode and that's not good when you are fighting fire or delivering a critical patient to a hospital. I could give more examples, but this post is long enough as it is. Note on the picture below of our recently delivered 4X4 brush engine how the cab was raised to deal with the heat of the exhaust on the right side. The headlights have been moved from the grill to the bumper to be legal.

Cat makes a great engine, but they decided just not to play the game, and will focus on their off road heavy equipment. I see Cummins shops being more prevalent in the future for over the road service. And no one has even mentioned the new DEF tank required on some of the new 2011 and after engines.

My choice would be; Cummins. 2007-2010 vintage for reasons stated above. Nuff said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-982252792.png
Views:	78
Size:	928.1 KB
ID:	16556  

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
Having worked in the fire service for 35 years, I have driven and worked on both Cat and Cummins, as well as international and Detroits (which I believe the Series 60 was the best ever built). But that's just another subjective opinion.

With that said, we have a saying in the FD; "nothing purrs like a Cat, but nothing pulls like a Cummins". I prefer a 2007-2010 Cummins for the following reasons; prior to 2007, there were no emission controls to speak of and sulphur fuels were everywhere. After 2007 particulate filter systems were installed on all new engines and the switch to ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) fuels was made. The problem with pre-2007 engines is that the fuel systems didn't like the fuel and would develop leaks around "O" rings. Making overhaul of many of our fuel delivery systems necessary. Mind you not all of our pre-2007 engines had this issue, but we now use additives where we never had to before other than anti fungal stuff.

On the other hand, post 2011 engines have much more complicated electronic systems that allow regenning of the exhaust system that burn off excessive particulates that are collected there. This regen process makes copious amounts of heat, and requires the engine to run at certain speeds to complete the operation. This had led us to raise cabs and install heat shielding blankets to not "bake" the Cab or personnel in it. Imagine what that heat would do to a fiberglass enclosure if not vented correctly. Our problem has been the system has not worked as advertised, and all of our new engine equipped apparatus have been in the shop several times to fix the electronic portion of the system but to no avail. It has gotten so bad that the CA Fire Mechanics Association is trying to get emergency vehicles exempted from the system because when the regen system fails it sends the engine into "limp" mode and that's not good when you are fighting fire or delivering a critical patient to a hospital. I could give more examples, but this post is long enough as it is. Note on the picture below of our recently delivered 4X4 brush engine how the cab was raised to deal with the heat of the exhaust on the right side. The headlights have been moved from the grill to the bumper to be legal.

Cat makes a great engine, but they decided just not to play the game, and will focus on their off road heavy equipment. I see Cummins shops being more prevalent in the future for over the road service. And no one has even mentioned the new DEF tank required on some of the new 2011 and after engines.

My choice would be; Cummins. 2007-2010 vintage for reasons stated above. Nuff said.
I am taking delivery of a 2006 Damon Astoria Pacific 5.9 ISB 300 HP Cummins. Can you tell me what I should look for at delivery time on the engine? I am getting the extended insurance $200 deductible Ins.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #39

173dave, congrats on your new purchase. Your diesel will have very little wear since it is only a '06. You didn't say how many it has on it. Just check the usual things like belts for cracks, hoses, air dryer if equipped with air brakes, and engine air filter. You should probably talk them into changing your fluids for you including your engine oil, transmission if it hasn't been done since new, and testing your coolant. This way you can start out fresh. One other big one is the tires, check the DOT date on the side. They are probably from '05, making them 6 years going on 7. This is about time for them to be replaced even if they have good tread left. Have them checked by a reputable tire firm. You may get a couple more years out of them.

One piece of advice, RVs don't like to sit. Working them keeps them in good working order. Enjoy your new coach.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The problem with pre-2007 engines is that the fuel systems didn't like the fuel and would develop leaks around "O" rings. Making overhaul of many of our fuel delivery systems necessary. Mind you not all of our pre-2007 engines had this issue, but we now use additives where we never had to before other than anti fungal stuff.
Glad you put that in because our 2002 Cummins hasn't had any problems.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
173dave, congrats on your new purchase. Your diesel will have very little wear since it is only a '06. You didn't say how many it has on it. Just check the usual things like belts for cracks, hoses, air dryer if equipped with air brakes, and engine air filter. You should probably talk them into changing your fluids for you including your engine oil, transmission if it hasn't been done since new, and testing your coolant. This way you can start out fresh. One other big one is the tires, check the DOT date on the side. They are probably from '05, making them 6 years going on 7. This is about time for them to be replaced even if they have good tread left. Have them checked by a reputable tire firm. You may get a couple more years out of them. One piece of advice, RVs don't like to sit. Working them keeps them in good working order. Enjoy your new coach.

Thank you. It only has 12,000 miles on it. The fluids and filters are fresh and the tires look good. I know they are on the edge time wise but I will go with them for a couple more years. It was well cared for and I have all the documentation.
My salesman, Brad Fisher at the RV Corral in Eugene, Oregon has really been great to work with. I have looked at 100s of motorhomes over the past couple of years.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #42

Sounds like a good find. Enjoy.

Tags
cat, cummins