Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

Cat vs Cummins and DynoMax chassis

My wife like to get out and look at MHs thinking perhaps we might re-invest in a MH that is equiped with some conviences we are missing presently. When I look at MHs on Internet that I might like to see, I look at, of course, the things we want and do not have, engine, floorplan, etc. Of recent I have been attracted to the Country Coach brand which I read might be having a comeback. There are, however, a couple of things much different about the CC over most that we have looked at....the use of Cat engines and their DynoMax chassis. The chassis I know very little about. As for engine seems there is more phrase for Cummins than Cat on the wire so the question comes to mind if I would let the engine be a real issue, whether in a CC or whatever make. Second question on engines, are they "apples to apples" on horse power......how would a Cat 425 stack up against a 425 Cummins? I even notice some Cats in CCs near or greatter than 500hp. We have a 400 Cummins in our current coach and it proves to be more than enough. but it was an option upgrade when new. For a 40+ or tag I do not think I would want less, but how wouild a...say 400 or 425 Cat compare?

Bill

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #2

My 1st priority would be to find a floor plan that suits both you and DW.
If all is equal and it comes down to a Cat or Cummins, I would go with a Cummins. They still are in the MH industry where as Cat has pulled out of this market segment. A suggestion would be to go to the Power Train portion of this forum and read the comments regarding both Cat and Cummins. I own a Cat C7 so not knocking this mfg. I would also but a heavy consideration on a side radiator vs a rear style.

dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls461 View Post
My 1st priority would be to find a floor plan that suits both you and DW.
If all is equal and it comes down to a Cat or Cummins, I would go with a Cummins. They still are in the MH industry where as Cat has pulled out of this market segment. A suggestion would be to go to the Power Train portion of this forum and read the comments regarding both Cat and Cummins. I own a Cat C7 so not knocking this mfg. I would also but a heavy consideration on a side radiator vs a rear style.
I certainly agree on side radiator. I had a 3126 Cat in my Freightliner used for towing my 5W. It was a good engine but I just did not have enough horses to suit me. The 275 was about all I felt I could afford when I ordered. Any more horse and I would have needed to upgrade front end and tranny. I drawed the line for budget but sometimes regretted having just 275hp. I then got a Chevy 1-ton dually Duramax and often felt it out pulled the Cat in the FL. Thanks for reply. Bill
Old 08-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #4

A general rule (not firm, as exceptions do exists in model years), the CC's of say 2002 and on came with Big Block Cats or Cummins in their up food chain of coaches (Magna, Affinity).

A crossover model in some years, was the Intrigue. Can be found with Cummins ISL, or Big Block Cats.

Usually Allure runs with the Cummins ISL after 2002.

The Inspire and Tribute, depedning on years, could have a Cat C9 (400) and I think the Cummins ISL in a few years.

Don't just look at the HP when looking at an engine. A newer CC with an ISL putting out say 425HP, will not run with an older coach with the Big Block Cat equal or less HP. The torgue of the Big Blocks Cats and Cummins are what you anty up for in these bigger rigs.

You do need to do the math of power to weight ratio. As sometimes the middle line coaches with ISL's, have a more favorible power to weight ratio then the Magna or Affinity. All of these extra goodiew and features in those rigs, adds weight.

In general, the Dynomax is a respected solid chassis. An Alpine Peak or Monaco Roadmaster 10 bagger or S chassis, may 'handle' better, but that comes with a cost of less complian ride. Most CC onwers are pleased with their rides. I'd classify my preference in chassis to 'BMW' vs 'Cadilac' ride. So, I did add Road Kings and Super Steer Motion Control Units to our 04 Allure. Very pleased with the ride, and stability.

Best of luck on your search, and if you feel the CC may be for you, do ask more questions on the CC owners group, and drop into the Yahoo CC User Group too. Once you narrow down the model and years that interest you, you can find out specific items to look out for, or be aware of while searching and negotiating.

I agree with shopping the coach first, and the drive train second - as Cummins vs Cat is usually a 'win/win'. That being said, I will note an 'uniformed' (meaning no real proof or 1st hand experience) that the Cat C9's may have had a problem with overheating. (Not a ding to C9's, and only from a few posts that I've read on the Yahoo CC User Group. If you do like a rig with the C9 in it, do some more due diligence and determine if my perception/memory is correct. Very possible that they could have had early problems, fixed by adjustments. Cat not being in OTR units anymore, would not be a worry to me. They back their equipment.)

Best of luck, have fun on the search,
Smitty
Old 08-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
A general rule (not firm, as exceptions do exists in model years), the CC's of say 2002 and on came with Big Block Cats or Cummins in their up food chain of coaches (Magna, Affinity).

A crossover model in some years, was the Intrigue. Can be found with Cummins ISL, or Big Block Cats.

Usually Allure runs with the Cummins ISL after 2002.

The Inspire and Tribute, depedning on years, could have a Cat C9 (400) and I think the Cummins ISL in a few years.

Don't just look at the HP when looking at an engine. A newer CC with an ISL putting out say 425HP, will not run with an older coach with the Big Block Cat equal or less HP. The torgue of the Big Blocks Cats and Cummins are what you anty up for in these bigger rigs.

You do need to do the math of power to weight ratio. As sometimes the middle line coaches with ISL's, have a more favorible power to weight ratio then the Magna or Affinity. All of these extra goodiew and features in those rigs, adds weight.

In general, the Dynomax is a respected solid chassis. An Alpine Peak or Monaco Roadmaster 10 bagger or S chassis, may 'handle' better, but that comes with a cost of less complian ride. Most CC onwers are pleased with their rides. I'd classify my preference in chassis to 'BMW' vs 'Cadilac' ride. So, I did add Road Kings and Super Steer Motion Control Units to our 04 Allure. Very pleased with the ride, and stability.

Best of luck on your search, and if you feel the CC may be for you, do ask more questions on the CC owners group, and drop into the Yahoo CC User Group too. Once you narrow down the model and years that interest you, you can find out specific items to look out for, or be aware of while searching and negotiating.

I agree with shopping the coach first, and the drive train second - as Cummins vs Cat is usually a 'win/win'. That being said, I will note an 'uniformed' (meaning no real proof or 1st hand experience) that the Cat C9's may have had a problem with overheating. (Not a ding to C9's, and only from a few posts that I've read on the Yahoo CC User Group. If you do like a rig with the C9 in it, do some more due diligence and determine if my perception/memory is correct. Very possible that they could have had early problems, fixed by adjustments. Cat not being in OTR units anymore, would not be a worry to me. They back their equipment.)

Best of luck, have fun on the search,
Smitty
Thanks Smitty. As I look deeper, might give you a PM.
Bill

Tags
cat, chassis, cummins