Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Catalytic Heater... thank you Norcold

Sometimes I think men were created for the sole purpose of keeping women warm. As soon as the temperature dips below 70 the DW is freezing. Thanks to Craig - CrazyKnight - showing us his catalytic space heater at Quartzsite this has been on the "must-add" list.

And, thanks to the removal of the Norcold I had a capped-off propane line easily accessible just below my now fabulously cold resi fridge, which was just waiting to be used for something better than an appliance that used to excel at ruining groceries. A short length of copper tubing, some flare fittings and a quick disconnect/shutoff valve and we're in business.

Considering our abundance of propane with a 45 gallon tank and that we currently only use propane for the stove... she now has a high efficiency heater and when boondocking don't have to use power to run the HydroHot. Just crack a window and the bath vent and turn up the heat... the DW is dancin' in her seat .

Glenn & Mary
2000 Monaco Dynasty 34 York
Three Toads - 1997 Jeep TJ :: built for dirt
/ 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel :: built for comfort in the dirt / 1990 Miata :: built for fun
MandG-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I worry about people who use this type of heater.. Now I know it has an O2 sensor that is SUPPOSED to shut it off in the event it takes all the oxygen out of the air before it kills you.

But every day I read of technology that fails.. In fact I'm sitting on top of aroudn 7.000 worth of failed technology.. I just did repairs to this computer and had to send one of my other computers to the factory for repair.

In short.. I do not trust that o2 sensor to save my life.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
You may want to read up on gas appliances on this site.

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Standards
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great little heaters. We've used the Wave 3000 for years.

Did something similiar to you, I "T"ed off the low pressure line, installed a valve and a quick disconnect 10 ft hose.

When we run the heater , we make sure that nothing can fall on it and nothing sits in front of it.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Like everything else in life, a bit of common sense provides a good safety cushion from the millions of dangers that lurk around us daily just waiting to maim and kill. Open a window and roof vent, multiple fire detectors, multiple CO detectors, a propane detector, multiple fire extinguishers, not sleeping with a propane heater turned on, inspecting all plumbing joints with soapy water solution, keeping flammable materials away from the heater are just a few common sense items.

Technology is not responsible for injury or death, it is the user that has the power to make the decisions and use it wisely. Thank you for concerns, we'll enjoy our toasty convenient heat.
Glenn & Mary
2000 Monaco Dynasty 34 York
Three Toads - 1997 Jeep TJ :: built for dirt
/ 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel :: built for comfort in the dirt / 1990 Miata :: built for fun
MandG-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
We also use one it's the 6k unit. Just for safety sake I added a second co2 detector in the coach.
Cheap insurance.

New to us 2008 Dutch Star 4035
Major upgrade from our 2006 Goof Stream Crescendo
Dutchstar08 is offline   Reply With Quote

cat, heat, heater, norcold