Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Caution 2011 Ford F-30 rusted brake line failure

My 2011 ford f-30 chassis triton v-10 has 21,000 miles that I have driven in the southern states in all seasons and has been parked on my concrete drive when not used.
On a recent trip to Florida my brakes failed when pulling off onto the interstate ramp at a very busy crossroad intersection. The brake pedal went to the floor when I was almost to the intersection. The light was green and a flat bed truck was halfway turned left but was was stopped due to traffic. I barely missed the trailer to the right but as able to stop on the far side of the intersection just as the light changed to red.
Had the 32 foot motor home towed to a brake shop which found three sections of brake line 6 ft to 8 ft long, located from the reservoir back, had about 6 small rust spots each and one spot had burst.
My extended warranty doesn't cover rust and Ford said it was out of their warranty. Ford did cover 20 per cent of the repair cost.
I would caution all Ford F-53 owners to check their brake lines for rust spots.
It doesn't seem possible to me that a less than 5 year old chassis could have rusted brake lines while in favorable weather and parking conditions.
Ford claims that motor homes sit around not being used and the air moisture can cause the rust. My rust was small circular spots, not large rusted areas and only in the front of the motor home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

If the rust damage was in a isolated section , ( all lines damaged in a small area) , they may have been exposed to welding spatter during construction of the chassis or coach . Even the smallest spark from a welder can damage the surface and start the rusting process.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #3

Caution 2011 Ford F-53 rusted brake line failure

Thanks for the reply!
Sounds very plausible that welding sparks could cause the rust spots. The spots occurred in an 8 ft long area on 3 lines under the area of the drivers seat.
But I thought robotic welding would be used. If so, there would be thousands of F-53 chassis with potential rust spots and brake failure.
I was extremely lucky that I wasn't involved in a very serious accident which probably would occur at least 90 per cent of the time when brakes suddenly fail!!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:19 AM   #4

Was the rust in the stock Ford brake line? Or a replacement section installed by the RV manufacturer during chassis lengthening or shortening? I've seen inferior materials used by RV manufacturers many times.

Also, you still had brakes, assuming you only had leaks in one brake line. You have a split / dual circuit master cylinder which isolates the front and rear brakes hydraulically for just this situation. But, as you experienced, the pedal drops and you only had front brakes (again, assuming it was a rear brake line).

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

general ford

I had bought an brand new 2002 Ford E450 motorhome in 2003. After driving the first 10K miles i started having a brake lockup issue this went on for a few years it would occur about once a year directly after storage, i had it ot the ford dealer and truck repair facility a number of times each time nothing was found wrong.

Well the final straw was in atlanta again the brakes locked up with a heavy drag after being in traffic they.

After returning home i decided to replace every brake component one at time. The final issue was the flexible rubber lines that go to the calibers. They were collapsing and holding pressure on them. You could not see it as it occurred inside the tubing not the outer shell.

I spoke with the Ford dealer as the motorhome was still under warranty they only responded with this is a known issue but no recall exist so i would have had to pay anyways. However in the other 5-6 times they had it there they certainly could have mentioned this and save me a lot of time and safety for my family. But they did not.

I had also dealt with ford on the defective firestone tires as well basically got the same response.

Anyways made a decision that would be and has been the last ford product i will ever buy.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHale View Post
Thanks for the reply!
Sounds very plausible that welding sparks could cause the rust spots. The spots occurred in an 8 ft long area on 3 lines under the area of the drivers seat.
But I thought robotic welding would be used. If so, there would be thousands of F-53 chassis with potential rust spots and brake failure.
I was extremely lucky that I wasn't involved in a very serious accident which probably would occur at least 90 per cent of the time when brakes suddenly fail!!
The welding would be done long before brake line installation. Besides chassis are bolted and or riveted together.

You could have had modification to the chassis, by the Motorhome manufacture, involving some torch or abrasive wheel cutting that shower the components with hot chips of metal.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

Caution 2011 Ford F-53 rusted brake line

I have no idea if the coach maker ( one of the largest) did any chassis mods using welding. If they did, then there should be thousands of brake lines rusting.
This is only a 2011 model with 21,000 miles.
My coach brakes did not want to stop me, I think the toad brake gave me the small amount of breaking that finally stopped me. I always thought that all vehicles had a two chamber reservoir, but it sure didn't appear that way.
I would have tried the e-brake but was in a critical turn maneuver to avoid a long flat bed semi.

Tags
brake, ford, rust