Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Caution re Thetford Toilet

If you are removing a Thetford Toilet for any reason make sure that you save the closet flange seal. That is the rubber seal that goes between the base of the toilet and the floor mount plate. I had to work on mine and I found that the original seal is slightly different than the new seals available. The toilet will leak at the base if you attempt to use the new seal on an older toilet. One distributor of Thetford products wrote this:

"The closet flange seal is the exact same seal for every single Thetford toilet that they make and I'm sure of that. If your old rubber seal has a groove running around the top [new one has no groove] then perhaps at one point in time when your toilet was made they had a different part available. I can tell you that the seal that you received is the only seal that Thetford is currently making."
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #2

Smile RE: Thetford toilet seal ring

I replaced my original ring with a good old [but brand new] wax ring made especially for that purpose. Works as well as the seals on my stick home toilets & cost only $2.
zooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooom View Post
I replaced my original ring with a good old [but brand new] wax ring made especially for that purpose. Works as well as the seals on my stick home toilets & cost only $2.
That's good to know. Where did you purchase the wax ring? Joe
Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #4

Smile RE: wax ring

I bought the wax ring from my MH dealer who happened to be closer than my local hardware store & had some rings in-stock. Can't beat the price AND, it was made in the USA!
zooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rv toilets use the rubber seal for a reason. If the cheaper wax ring worked as well as the rubber one in all conditions (heat and vibration for example) I am sure that wax is what Thetford would supply with their toilets.

The rubber seal (no groove around the top) on my original 2004 Thetford AquaMagic IV was the same as the one on the Bravura replacement in 2008 - also no groove around the top.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Rv toilets use the rubber seal for a reason. If the cheaper wax ring worked as well as the rubber one in all conditions (heat and vibration for example) I am sure that wax is what Thetford would supply with their toilets.

The rubber seal (no groove around the top) on my original 2004 Thetford AquaMagic IV was the same as the one on the Bravura replacement in 2008 - also no groove around the top.
The problem that I ran into is that without the groove the toilet would not seat properly. It leaked. Luckily, I was able to salvage the original rubber seal and it worked. Seems strange that they would change the seal like this and not have one like the original for existing toilets. I don't recall the model name of mine. Joe
Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #7

I used a foam ring made for a house toilet instead of the wax.Didn't think the wax would stand up to the vibration.Took a little searchig to find it.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote