Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
CH 13 was informally designated the RV'ers channel many years ago. It failed to take root because truckers use CH 19, which is where you hear of road closings, accidents, etc. There are simply not enough RV'ers using radios on the road (the majority do not own a CB radio) at any given time to keep abreast of driving conditions on CH 13. I have a CB that can monitor two channels at once, I've never heard another RV'er on CH 13, nor have I contacted anyone on that frequency while on the road.
I, like Craig N Deb, would like this to become a reality; however I have serious doubts because of the lack of a support base like truckers enjoy. BTW, there is less radio traffic today because many truckers are on their bluetooth cell phone talking to family and friends, and listening to the CB.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We will try 13 also...

2003 Gulfstream Friendship 41 Ft. Quattro 4-slides. Serial: 58-4557, Model 8408 FS, Freightliner with
MP-8 425+HP Cat.
John Pacello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
What's a cb ?

kidding - threw mine away when we got the cell phones and walkies that can go for miles...
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Forest River Owners Club
We always monitor channel 13. It is full of dirty mouthed trucker talk, just lower the volume when they start amusing us.
Chillbilly - Maryville, TN - Forest River Rockwood 5th Wheel - Ford F250 - Semper-Fi
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I use channel 19, yes I really Do USE it! But I have an instant on button for channel 19, so depending what I'm doing I can be on one channel (say 13) talking with someone and instantly go to 19 to check on things.
1997 Georgie Boy Cruise Master F 53 Chasis 460
Davis Tru Trac
Safe Steer & Blistiens
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in! Ch 13 it is!!!
Happy Daze! Andy, Carol & our adopted Maltese "son", Eli
'99 Tropi-Cal on a '98 Ford F3 chassis

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, of O wanted to do a CB in my 2004 Pace Arrow what would you guys suggest,
I was thinking a hand held unit.... Or is it easy enough to install a permanent unit
Stefan, Nicole, and Ian
The Pups - Kaiser, Indar, Itsa, and Marty
2015 Newmar DS 4369
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
Thor Owners Club
I've never thought of installing a CB.....DW had one years ago. Maybe I'll look around for one....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
I monitor ch 19 as this is the main channel that the truckers use - I use the CB for emergency and info from the trucker's on ch.19 - Not sure what info you would get from CH 13 as no one is on 13 - but you have a switch and can change at any time. Clarence
2008 42' Monaco Camelot/2012 4WD ChevTahoe, (tow)Houston, Texas
CLarence39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
Entegra Owners Club
I use the iphone app called Waze to be warned of accidents, traffic and police ahead. Saved me many times. Just last weekend it routed me around a closed down interstate wreck and saved me hours from sitting in stopped traffic. it doesn't have humor like channel 19 though...
2017 Dynamax Isata 5
2013 JKU toad
jdwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
The CB saved us from being put into the sites of a sniper that went from one over pass to another. And both were roads that we were supposed to be on.

The only time we've had a trucker say anything bad was when a female trucker saw me walking from our truck to the RV while Thom was in line to get diesel. She did not like my purple hair and had all kinds of things to say about what kind of "work" she thought I was trying to do with the purple hair .... Thom got on the CB and told her in no certain terms that I was his wife and paid my time in the military and that if I wanted to colour my hair purple then so be it. The other truckers got on and said things like "That's telling her" and "Thank her for her service"
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I've never thought of installing a CB.....DW had one years ago. Maybe I'll look around for one....
I've got a non sideband unit you can have for free. I can drop it off to you when we visit the kids around Thanksgiving. It is just sitting in my shop taking up shelf space. It worked just fine when we had it in the travel trailer.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
I use 17 running north/south on I-5.

Today, most truckers use 17 when traveling north/south and 19 when traveling east/west.

When traveling with other RV's we tune to 13.

Safe travels.

JD & Kathy and our pom "Mac"
2016 Winnebago Sightseer33C built on a 2016 F-53 Chassis
2009 Saturn Vue
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #28
Been loooking at the 40 channel Cobra cb with pa for $96. on Amazon for under $100 plus an $10.82 pa speaker. I want it.

jasright is offline   Reply With Quote