Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

CB Radio

I recently purchased an Itasca Sunstar and the book says it is pre-wired
for a CB radio. How is this done? What about an antenna? Anyone used
this "pre-wired" set-up? Thanks, Steve
steve258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the case of my MH "pre wired" meant an antenna cable which was coiled up under the dash. There was an antenna mount on the outside as well. That was it.

I found a power source in a fuse block and used it to complete the install.

I should add I have never once used my CB.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the roof there should be an antenna mounted on the left front (driver ) side. A baggy of wires is found in the vicinity of the left floor board. This baggy is notoriously hard to find, but if it truly has been prewired it will contain a antenna cable, hot and ground wire. Depending where you wish to mount your CB they will be short.

CBs are not used as much as before but come in handy for caravans and increasing your vocabulary while tuned to CH 19 the truckers channel.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rewired may or may not include an antenna. If there is an antenna, it is the closest you can get to no antenna. Your best bet is to get a Firestix NGP (no ground plane) antenna installed and tuned. I would recommend a minimum of 3' long.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi steve258,
TXiceman provided good advice, just not enough good advice. If you go with a no ground plane antenna, you'll need a no ground plane antenna wire. Go to Firestik Antenna Company Home Page read about the different choices. Consider a top loaded antenna. 3' is good as long as 2/3 of the antenna is above the roof line. Firestik antennas have a screw in the top so the antenna can be easily tuned once installed. Go to CB Antenna - 3' Firestick No Ground Plane Needed - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see my Firestik no ground plane antenna installation. Firestik sell a kit that is the antenna and correct wire.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

Don, CBs are used a lot. We finally got rid of all that trash that bought CBs years ago and now mainly truckers. I use them with the MH and in the truck pulling the race car trailer. I have been warned several times when things are wrong on the race car trailer plus numerous times about dangerous objects laying in the road or slow downs or things like that. I find a CB great company when driving long distances especially when by myself. My CB has been modified for more power out and better reception which helps a lot
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Citizens Band (CB) Service | FCC.gov

"There are several additional things to consider when using a CB device, including:
  • You may not raise the power output of a CB device.
  • You may not attach a "linear," "linear amplifier" or any other type of power amplifier to your CB device.
The FCC takes enforcement of unauthorized radio operations very seriously. Anyone found operating a radio station without an FCC authorization can be subject to a variety of enforcement actions, including seizure of equipment, imposition of monetary forfeitures and criminal penalties."

Just thought I'd pass this along - the FCC doesn't take kindly to increasing power over the legal 4 watt limit (12 watts peak envelope power in SSB mode). The fines can approach $10,000 (and far more) for doing so. There's quite a long list of those who have done so - and been caught by the FCC. They have easy ways of finding out if someone is doing that.

Here's one example of a gentleman being fined $12,500 for using a higher power (200 watts) than authorized:

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/...12-1104A1.html

CB radios may not be modified by users/distributors, and must be "type certified" by the FCC. In other words, you can buy a commercial unit and use it - but not modify it electronically in any way. If your CB unit has been approved, you will find an FCC type-certified label on the transceiver. If it's not there, it isn't legal.

As tempting as it may be, if you wish to run higher power, it's best to get an amateur radio license, where power is authorized up to 1500 watts (peak envelope power), with lower restrictions on certain bands/frequencies, and a licensed amateur may modify or build their equipment. The Amateur Radio Relay League can help you obtain a license from the Federal Communications Commission:

https://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

I've been licensed by the FCC as an amateur radio operator for over 50 years. Hope this helps clarify things. Don't mean to sound "preachy", but to inform.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #8

Hmmm, do you think that truckers care about those regulations? No they don't and I don't care about them either. Sorry but that does sound real preachy. It is not like I have a linear.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven't turned mine on it 7 years or so.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Well ,Ive been a truck driver for years and have seen many Modded rigs and never heard of any FCC "crackdown" on the CB band Not to say it couldnt happen but unless you have a base station and are disrupting a channel for some time they have neither the resources or desire to do anything about a single " boosted" radio.
I dont have one .. dont need it but just saying.
I have a CB in the MH and use it when we caravan with others. Or when I need to check out road conditions ahead ,accident, weather, ( take what you hear with a Grain of salt!) but it can be helpful. Truckers are not known for their nice language ( also against FCC rules I believe )
My prewire was a small antenna on the roof with cable and power wires bundle up under the dash (well hidden I might add ).
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Im running all my radios with "X"w in all mobile set ups and "X"w at home, and I have "baby power" compaired to all the guys on our band here.

I too havent herd of any crackdown latey of "Uncle Charlie" ..... I know us base people are more likely to get cought, if we are bleeding over neighbors eletronics. Its not like "Uncle Charlie" is running up and down the highway in the box trucks with 1,000 antennas on it trying to find the person running linears

Either way, I think a CB is valuable on the road for traffic updates, others warning you of problem with your rig, and if solo can make the ride better. Most of the trash is not on there anymore. Yeah once in a while you get near a big town and there is some fool on there.

I guess as it got less popular the RVers got off channel 13 and went to 19. But then again you used to have your good sam member number and a single digit area code on it too.... Some things fade away

Also a few links to help people installing or to make thier set up a little better

The Ultimate Guide to 11 Meter CB Antennas
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Hmmm, do you think that truckers care about those regulations? No they don't and I don't care about them either. Sorry but that does sound real preachy. It is not like I have a linear.
Mike, you say "My CB has been modified for more power out " - that makes it illegal. And you've stated that on a public forum. The FCC doesn't need a warrant to search for illegal equipment.

F239141, you said "Im running all export radios, with linears 300w in all mobile set ups and 800w at home, and I have "baby power" compaired to all the guys on our band here." Admitting you're breaking the law on a public forum makes it easy for the FCC to ask questions.

Truckers have been caught many times - if you find it to be "preachy" - well, you pays your money, and takes your chances. Knowing something is against the law and then breaking the law is your choice....you know the consequences.

CB has its place - I too have been on the CB bands. It helped me after a state of Ohio snow plow hit me many years ago almost cutting my car in half - and I used it to get in touch with the police for help. I'm just suggesting that you do it legally....
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
F239141, you said "Im running all export radios, with linears 300w in all mobile set ups and 800w at home, and I have "baby power" compaired to all the guys on our band here." Admitting you're breaking the law on a public forum makes it easy for the FCC to ask questions.
I didn't do no such thing
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #14

I understand that Winnebago used to install CB antenna cable (coax). But they quit doing that at least 7 years ago. The prewire for CB since 2006 (or maybe before that) is just for power and ground -- no antenna anything.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio