Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #1

CB Radio

I have a 2010 Fleetwood Revolution LE it has a CB antenna installed from Fleetwood. Thinking about installing a radio in my coach. Anyone have a factory installed CB antenna? Do you use it? Would love to hear the good or bad stories from anyone.
brooksbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #2

Mine came from factory with one installed. Got bored one day and turned it on for a while. Not much traffic but for a guy trying for a radio check every two minutes. I guess everyone uses their phones now. Got on my nerves and I turned it off.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:32 AM   #3

There has been lots of discussion on this topic before. Using the search window at the top of the page will guide you to them.

My first career was truckin'. Years ago would have never considered hitting the road without my ears on. Due to changes in technology and people, the CB is an endangered species. Few beneficial conversations occur via the citizens band today. The push for an RV channel has gained little traction over the years.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:55 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great for identifying road problems, i.e. why am I stopped, how long is the backup. I leave mine on when traveling, volume may be turned down
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #5

Even if your manufacturer supplied the wiring and antenna, you'll still need to use a SWR meter to tune your system. About $40 at Radio Shack if you can still find one open. Perhaps cheaper on line.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I been told they are invaluable if you head to Alaska, cell phone are at best sporadic but the cb seems to work fine. I like mine but it doesn't have a SWR meter, unless it's built in. Pigman how would it help my cb, it seems to work fine. Never thought about checking the range on it, if that's what a SWR does. Ok ill goggles SWR to find out what it does. Maybe when the MH comes out next week I'll check the range on it then. One more on the to do list. LOL
Old 03-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post
I been told they are invaluable if you head to Alaska, cell phone are at best sporadic but the cb seems to work fine. I like mine but it doesn't have a SWR meter, unless it's built in. Pigman how would it help my cb, it seems to work fine. Never thought about checking the range on it, if that's what a SWR does. Ok ill goggles SWR to find out what it does. Maybe when the MH comes out next week I'll check the range on it then. One more on the to do list. LOL
SWR stand for standing wave ratio, it tells you how well you antenna is tuned for max power out. If the SWR is high the signal is getting reflected back into your transmitter and can cause your output to transistor burn-up or you will have a more limited range. It does not have much effect on receiving signals. During the CB hayday I used to repair them.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My unit is one year old, would that be built into them now a days?
Old 03-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #9

Using an SWR meter is a good idea regardless of how your set works. If you have a large reflected wave you can actually damage your radio. The tuning procedure is to select various channels across the spectrum you can use and minimize the reflected wave as much as possible. You never get to reduce it completely on all channels and very small changes in antenna height can show up as large changes on your meter.

The only place I've seen in Alaska that I would say makes a CB mandatory would be on the Dalton Highway between Fairbanks and Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay). Even there all you'll be hearing are animal sightings and notices of oversize or very slow moving vehicles on hills and blind curve areas. All other routes have a lot of summer traffic and if you're having a problem, you can expect the next person by to stop and offer help if you look like you're having a problem. We were on a paid tour from Glennallen to McCarthy and after the third flat the driver needed to go to Chitina to get a new tire. He got a ride from the first person by and while we waited about 3 hours for him to return, we had to decline help from about 90% of those who passed us by.

We've been to Alaska 5 times and will go again this summer. Although my rig has a manufacturer installed antenna and wiring I've never felt the need to carry a CB.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio