Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
CB Radio?

Does anyone use CB's on the road anymore? For emergencies? Or is it more practical with the smart phone? I was thinking of a combination of both. Thanks

Stairs up
Wheels rolling!
Safe T Plus
oilman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In many places where RVs tend to go, (State and National Parks for example), smartphones do not necessarily have dependable coverage.

For that reason alone, yes, people still use CBs, kind of.

In groups of friends traveling together, they will typically agree to use either CB or FRS radios set on a particular channel to keep in touch during the convoy. Besides that, CB radio technology has been virtually abandoned by the general public.

In a highway/freeway emergency situation you might reach a trucker or two on a CB.

Most people that want to use radio communication have transitioned over to GMRS, or FM UHF radio. It's a little more sophisticated, and it officially requires a license to use. GMRS allows interconnects to the telephone network as well, so you're less likely to be completely "out of touch".

BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
I have a combination CB/Weather radio. I use the weather radio a lot more than the CB. But is sure is nice to have the CB to listen too, when stuck in a traffic jam.
Ed/Brenda, 2 Dogs Sammy,Roxy. FMCA 436099
2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #4

My rig had the antenna and power supply for the little Cobra that has the radio in the mic. For our Alaska Caravan, I bought a new one from Amazon for $95 and reinstalled by simply plugging in the handset. It was worth the investment for our trip but have since removed the handset into storage. Just didn't have any use for it down here.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have and never use it unless some of friends are traveling with us. We will use a channel to talk to each other. But believe it are not there are areas where cell phone don't work and maybe a CB could get you help.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
If you truly want to be able to get help in the middle of nowhere then get a sat phone or ham license and ham radio. CBs have limited range, a ham radio has much longer range and can also use repeaters to extend the reach. When disasters strike and all other comms are down ham radios provide emergency comms.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:18 AM   #7
The CB is an endangered species, it will take awhile for the last few to die off. I started driving semi's 40 years ago, and would not have considered being without a CB. Today I don't even own one.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:37 AM   #8
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
The CB is an endangered species, it will take awhile for the last few to die off. I started driving semi's 40 years ago, and would not have considered being without a CB. Today I don't even own one.
Used to belong to REACT and all my vehicles had CB's and now I don't own one either. Just no need now.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:02 AM   #9
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I still have a CB in my motorhome. It monitors weather channels as well. When you can't get out on a cell phone the CB is of some use. Mine can get out between 6-8 miles and even further if the atmospheric conditions are right. I was talking to a trucker late one evening in Louisiana. Thing is I was in Arizona. I'm working on my HAM license. When I get my license I will install a mobile unit in my motorhome. As well as a base station at home.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:37 AM   #10
ham radio

Originally Posted by oilman51 View Post
Does anyone use CB's on the road anymore? For emergencies? Or is it more practical with the smart phone? I was thinking of a combination of both. Thanks
CB can be helpful for local road conditions or directions. I think most agree that those channels are often trashy talk and not acceptable for mixed company.

I try to encourage pursuing amateur radio. Getting a Technician license only requires a little study (no morse code required), and the equipment can be inexpensive. Generally, hams start out using VHF and UHF frequencies. Here, you can use "repeaters" to send your signal over a larger area. If you are traveling with other vehicles, you can operate "simplex", which might be compared to powerful walkie-talkies.

It might sound confusing, but it really isn't. It's great fun traveling and talking to strangers or old friends.
A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman!
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use ours for the weather radio function. Never hear much chatter on it anymore on regular channels.
2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD Cat
Retired Air Force, One lovely Angel, 2 Cats and three birds.
the_vfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:26 AM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
We use ours for traffic and weather. On the last trip I actually turned on channel 13 (rv channel) and heard 2rvs speaking with each other.
Del & Lori & Millie, (our miniature Aussie) 2007 Diplomat 40PDQ - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:36 AM   #13
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are going to Alaska - Absolutly mandatory.

In the lower 48, Mine has served me well, especially when trying to find out why everyone is stopped.

HINT - If all the sudden you notice there is no oncoming traffic, get off at the next exit and turn the radio on.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #14
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a wide range of Communicataions gear.. Cell, CB and Ham Radio (160 Meters through 70cm most all modes).

CB is in the cockpit (Times two one on 13 one on 19, 13 is the "Good Sam's" channel) and has on occasion paid for itself by either preventing a possible accident (I was driving on black ice basically and did not know it but thanks to the CB knew I needed to be slowing down due to obstruction ahead.. Did so safely and wound up sheltering 2 carloads of folks who did NOT have a cb to warn them till police arrived to write up their crash (I was not involved) and taking them home as well).

And on another occasion (Clear dry road) exiting the freeway at the last possible exit to avoid the hours long traffic backup caused by not one but TWO fatal accidents about 3 miles past said exit... Kind of feel sorry for the guy who though "AH, That Big RV is exiting" who was behind me.. You see. he got stuck in the jam, I got a nice sleep in a big parking lot.

I've also chatted with truckers and others as I travel.

But I've also been in places where not even CB was enough to get me help... OF course when that happens I string a long wire and use HAM radio.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote