Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #1

CB radio

Any CBers out there? First time RVer and I'm thinking about buying a CB. Been 30 years since I had one (thanks to CW McCall) but thinking it might be helpful... Mostly for timely traffic conditions. Are the airwaves still overcrowded (that's why I quit years ago... Too many high powered base stations jamming the air). is Cobra still top of the line? Is it worth a modest investment? If so, should I have it installed professionally, or is it pretty simple to install in a coach?... Thanks and 10-4!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I grew up in the heyday of CB radio (back when we had Lafayette stores) but hardly ever use the CB in the coach now. We've never talked to another RV'r on the CB and, like you, thought it might be helpful to monitor the trucker's channel 19 for road conditions, etc.

Frankly, the language on the trucker's channel is pretty awful and I rarely turn it on......only when traffic is slowing/stopping and may help to know what kind of delay is up ahead.

Bottom line for me...if there wasn't already a CB in the coach when we got it, I would not buy one. Our's is a Cobra and that seems to be what you see mostly in the Flying J's where the truckers buy their stuff.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #3

Hi Roger, I always have the CB on so if there is trouble with the toad I hope a trucker will tell me. It also helps knowing what is around the next bend. If you hear someone yell out "brake check" you know the traffic is stopping fast. I have also avoided large objects in the road from someone giving a warning.

No high powered linear amps blasting out anymore on Channel 19 just truckers. There is still some off colored language but thats the way it is on THEIR channel.

Those all in one Cobra handset CBs are OK and seem to do OK. I bought a modified Uniden PC78 Elite from the Preacher below with a Road King RK56 mic and people are amazed at how clear I transmit. The Cobra Classic is always great. The mic makes a big big difference.
You might be interested in checking out Preacher. He is outside Marshall, Texas. He has a lot of really good stuff and great technical assitance. He can also supply you with modified or what they call "tuned" CBs with greater receive sensitivity and a little more power out.
Power By Preacher

On my previous MH I replaced the CB antenna with a special one that didn't need a ground plane because of the fiberglass it helped a lot. I have not done that on my current MH.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with everything ranger said especially about language.

We use ours when traveling with friends but generally keep it on channel 16. When traveling alone I rarely turn it on.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #5

Hey Jerry, what is Chan 16, anything special? The unofficial RV channel is 13 but I hardly ever hear anyone on it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I bought my first CB in 1972 when I was over the road, that was a little before the craze hit and it seemed everyone had "ears".... I still run a Cobra 29 that is going on 25 years old and still going strong. The language has calmed down somewhat as has the big radios that use to bleed over and generally just be a PITA.... I run with mine on and the squelch turned up so I don't get a lot of noise. With the advent of cell phones and GPS the CB isn't as important as it was but I recently did a stint hauling a rock bucket and going into the mines the CB is used to communicate with the loader and scale plus keep tabs on where the "bears" are once on the road, giving me someone to talk to on those long nights and where everyone is stopping for coffee ! Oh yeah, I still run one in the motor home too.....
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I rarely turn mine on, but would not leave home without it. They are right about the language, but it is indespenceable when there is accident or you have a problem wih the toad. Most people will hold up the mike and point to you, if yours is turned off. This lets you know they want to talk to you. It is far better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I rarely turn mine on, but would not leave home without it. They are right about the language, but it is indespenceable when there is accident or you have a problem wih the toad. Most people will hold up the mike and point to you, if yours is turned off. This lets you know they want to talk to you. It is far better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.
Agree...and very easy to install.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Don't know where you guys travel, but where I do, the bad language is almost nonexistent. The truckers have calmed way down and in fact even shun the potty mouths. Most of the bad language is around the truck stops where a trucker is whining about the scales or can't find a parking spot.

Can't see wasting my time on 13 when there isn't anyone there. 19,18, and 17 is where you will find the info.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ga traveler is correct.

Aslo just make for sure you anntena base is grounded.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run with two CB's one (Good antenna) The other on 19 and the other (Stubby) on 13 (RV channel)

I do not hear much on either radio any more but from time to time they are handy. I also run multiple ham radios.. They get more traffic than the CB's but frankly I don't pay much attention when I'm driving.. Only when parked.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
. He can also supply you with modified or what they call "tuned" CBs with greater receive sensitivity and a little more power out.
Power By Preacher
I suspect the Preacher will soon be out of business Mike.. Just so you know.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was debating getting a new radio myself. I am still running my Tiger 40 which is almost 30 years or so old .. francis whip is the antenna of my choice.. but the new coach I go back to a short firestik since it will be on the roof. I used to love the cb.. starduster ... d104.. I still know my call sign .. I never did get that washington base station I had my eye on in high school lol We used to have a large group of people in town and we would talk at night. Bunch from high school along with moms and dads and town workers.. we had so much fun and beat the television any day of the week.

I can never figure out why the don't add mounts in the mirrors for antennas on the motorhomes.
There is alot of discussion on the quality of the cobras since they started farming them out to china. I think they are still good enough rigs although not what they used to be.
If I buy a new one it will be a galaxy I think. I like what I hear about them. I am not sure I will though, as I am not sure I want to spend the money on something that I mainly just listen to nowadays for traffic reasons only. My old pearce simpson does that still as well as any new radio
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 05monacoer,
A CB is handy for road info and RV caravans. The radio technology is a commodity so buy whatever fits the space there is for the radio. The antenna and wire are the most important items. Consider a no ground plane Firestik antenna kit. It will come with a no ground plane wire. You'll need to purchase the mount of your choice. Go to:

CB Antenna - 3' Firestick No Ground Plane Needed - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see a 3' Firestik no ground plane antenna.

Cobra_75_WX_ST_CB_Radio - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery a Cobra all in one Radio.

CB Radio Head Set - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the one ear headset I use. Nobody needs to hear what is being received but me.

After installation, you'll need to have a SWR check and adjustment done to ensure the antenna is transmitting at peak power.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote