Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman

NYS requires an 'R' endorsement for driving any coach over 26,000 lbs actual weight, including your toad weights.

'R' stands for 'recreational'. Not for hire.
Where did I get "M" endorsement, I am getting old, "R" is correct

HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to nrc1963
I am from NY but looking to RV Full time. I have research Permanent housing VS an RV since the early 90's and Full time rving is the way and a great way to become totaly independent of municiple resources. I was looking at a 36' tiffin paeton but it has a GVRW of 32,400 lbs. I just want to do everything correctly from Jumpstreet. Basically from Camp To Camp across the US . But the laws if I understand it correctly has put me into a tiffin allegro Gas 32 or 34' MH cat the GVRMW is 2200 lbs on this model. Just want to get on the road make new friend and help where I can. A simple life I am a hanyman and mechanically inclinded but stink at spelling and grammar. Thank You for Your Responce and All of You out their Responding I feel Like I already have new friends and it sure as heck beets living alone. :-D You are all in my prayers.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #17

:-d thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :-d
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc1963 View Post
I am from NY but looking to RV Full time.
If you're going to full time, I would suggest looking into South Dakota as your state of residence. No special driver's license required, and tax structure for vehicle registration and personal is very attractive. Do a search here for South Dakota residency and I think you'll have quite a bit of reading material to go through.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #19

I have an inactive CDL (retired from transit driving) and let my medical cert lapse. My license doesn't expire until Sept 2015.

I just got a letter from WA state Licensing to say that new Federal rules on CDLs are coming which all states are being "requested" to implement. They will require the driver to certify what kind of commercial driving he does and to keep his medical ticket current.

I suspect this will result in a change in those states that have required a CDL for larger rigs, as I don't think a driver who is not driving a commercial vehicle will qualify for a CDL any more.

Since we have a 22,000 GVWR and the rig is only 32' (no toad), it isn't an issue for me, so I'll be getting a regular license. I just hope my switch to a non-CDL can wait until the current license expires. As far as I know, it qualifies as a regular license when you don't have the medical cert and you're not driving a commercial vehicle.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
" I just hope my switch to a non-CDL can wait until the current license expires. As far as I know, it qualifies as a regular license when you don't have the medical cert and you're not driving a commercial vehicle."

You are correct Frank, your "base" license is still good without a med cert. If you choose to ignore the self certification letter, your CDL will simply go inactive...no penalties involved.

I just received the same letter from WA...I will self certify and submit my Med Cert as I will still be in a lowboy rig here and there for the next couple years.

As to the issue of CDL's and RV's. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the states require an "Air Brake" endorsement for RV's in the future...doesn't make sense for them to go any further though, IMO.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp
I have an inactive CDL (retired from transit driving) and let my medical cert lapse. My license doesn't expire until Sept 2015.

I just got a letter from WA state Licensing to say that new Federal rules on CDLs are coming which all states are being "requested" to implement. They will require the driver to certify what kind of commercial driving he does and to keep his medical ticket current.

I suspect this will result in a change in those states that have required a CDL for larger rigs, as I don't think a driver who is not driving a commercial vehicle will qualify for a CDL any more.

Since we have a 22,000 GVWR and the rig is only 32' (no toad), it isn't an issue for me, so I'll be getting a regular license. I just hope my switch to a non-CDL can wait until the current license expires. As far as I know, it qualifies as a regular license when you don't have the medical cert and you're not driving a commercial vehicle.
I have the exact same problem in ny and according to all my research your rig is fine and as long as your tow does not exceed 10,00 lbs you are aok
nrc1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #22

I am from NY.

They say on their website any single or vehicle or trailer with a gvw of 26001ibs needs a cdl. I have epilepsy but have been seizure free for over 30+ yrs. I have had a CDL for over 20yrs. but this year when I went to renew it. They said if I am under control but with medication They will not renew it. But get this. I am able to drive commercially for the Govt and State Municipalities.

They Lady at the DMV said If I get caught driving a Comercial Vehicle and it is not a gvt or state vehicle I will be in BIG Trouble with Severe Fines & Imprisonment. So I have a Restricted CDL for Govt & municipal use only. Not Fair. In my Eyes. This took my dreams away I wanted a Tiifin Phateon nut the GVW was to heavy. So I am hoping to get a 32 or 34 TGA tiffin gvrw(22k lbs.). for my new and soon to be lifestyle.

I am going to be so independent of all Govt resources. And I am Going to help people for FREE with my Herbal Medicine If they ever need help. I am sorry I vented But this has been happening to me all my life I work hard to accomplish something of value then my dreams get taken away Since I was 6 now 49. I am not Quitting just Persevering more aggressively even more now with realistic views. I just want to make New friend to. and help.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I am from NY.

They say on their website any single or vehicle or trailer with a gvw of 26001ibs needs a cdl. I have epilepsy but have been seizure free for over 30+ yrs. I have had a CDL for over 20yrs. but this year when I went to renew it. They said if I am under control but with medication They will not renew it. But get this. I am able to drive commercially for the Govt and State Municipalities.

They Lady at the DMV said If I get caught driving a Comercial Vehicle and it is not a gvt or state vehicle I will be in BIG Trouble with Severe Fines & Imprisonment. So I have a Restricted CDL for Govt & municipal use only. Not Fair. In my Eyes. This took my dreams away I wanted a Tiifin Phateon nut the GVW was to heavy. So I am hoping to get a 32 or 34 TGA tiffin gvrw(22k lbs.). for my new and soon to be lifestyle.

I am going to be so independent of all Govt resources. And I am Going to help people for FREE with my Herbal Medicine If they ever need help. I am sorry I vented But this has been happening to me all my life I work hard to accomplish something of value then my dreams get taken away Since I was 6 now 49. I am not Quitting just Persevering more aggressively even more now with realistic views. I just want to make New friend to. and help.
From what has been posted form the guys in NY you only need an R endorsement not a CDL. Hopefully someone with the R endorsement will jump in here. In the meantime take a look at this link "R" endorsement in NYS

I have noticed many states have the >26k lb rule but if you read further in their laws you will find an exemption for RVs.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I am from NY.

Sounds like you have decided not to full time and are going to remain a resident of NY. In that case the way I read the driver's license requirements for a recreational vehicle >26,000 lbs is that you do not need a CDL. You just need a 'R' endorsement to a Class D or E license. Reference (at the bottom of the page): NYS DMV - The Elimination of the Non-CDL Class C License
Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #25

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your info I would never stop this dream. It meant That I would Go from a Phaeton to an Alllegro 32 or 34 TGA not a problem. Allegro GVW is only 22k lbs. NY DMV people misgave me info I guess and I misunderstood the page
But a Question If I lived in NY wich I wouldn't My HB would Be Fla. and travel through another state does require a cdl can I get in trouble? for driving out of class.
How do you like your Tiffin Phateon any suggestions were did you both purchase it from New or used. Do you recomend a dealer I am getting ready to drive down to Lazy Daze in Tampa in about 2 months
Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #26

Obviously the powers that be in NY barely know what if anything we should have. What are the chances that a cop from another state will have a clue, no CDL required, as far as the other initials that amount to nothing more than an additional fee, FORET ABOUT IT, go drive, be safe, have fun....
Old 01-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
States offer/work on reciprocity. If your home state drivers license is appropriate in your home state for the rig you drive then it is accepted by the other states. At least as I understand it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
But a Question If I lived in NY wich I wouldn't My HB would Be Fla. and travel through another state does require a cdl can I get in trouble? for driving out of class.
No, as long as you possess the proper license for your state of residency, you are legal in all other states, regardless of their individual requirements.
Quote:
How do you like your Tiffin Phateon any suggestions were did you both purchase it from New or used. Do you recomend a dealer I am getting ready to drive down to Lazy Daze in Tampa in about 2 months
We really like our Phaeton. We have had a few issues, but all have been covered under warranty even though our official warranty period has expired.

If you're purchasing new, I would recommend sending a quote request to the following dealers:
Bankston Motor Homes | Alabama RV Dealer | Tennessee RV Dealer | Motorhomes
D and N Camper Sales | Davis Motorhome Mart
Tiffin Motor Homes Allegro Motor Homes Motor Homes For Sale Mississippi
Best of luck on your quest, and never give up the dream.

Tags
rving