Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #29

I live in Maryland and we have to have a class B but no cdl. Good luck it was a pain in the butt at 51 to take a driving test

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
In New Mexico, if your rig is greater than 26,000 GVW you need to get a Class "E" license. No CDL is required as long as you are not commercial. Just fill out one easy form and pay a little money and you are good to go.

Keith

kedanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher
I live in Maryland and we have to have a class B but no cdl. Good luck it was a pain in the butt at 51 to take a driving test
I am also a Marylander. Can you tell me what steps you had to take to get the proper license? I don't think I HAVE TO have it (22000 lb coach + 3400 lb toad), but I may want to tow a heavier toad and then I'd be over the limit on those occasions.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #32

The law has been in affect in Maryland for a few years their just now starting to enforce it. I'm not sure who all needs it but I know I did I've got a 42' diesel pusher. When I went to get the paper work the people at the DMV didn't know what I was talking about it took an hour for someone to find the test and paper work I needed. I took the written test that day and past it but when I came back four weeks later for the driving test it was crazy let's just say I didn't past lol. The officer that was giving me the test was not very informative about how the test was going to go. The only thing I would say to you is go get the proper license if something should anything happen at less your have the right license. If you decide to go get your license I'd be happy to talk to you by phone about somethings that may help you with the test. Good luck
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #33

The conclusion I've reached is that the individual licensing sub-agencies are only trained to handle routine non-commercial license renewals. Anything more complicated results in them making SWAGS to keep the line moving.

The only way to get an accurate answer is to write a letter (or maybe send an e-mail) to the state agency and ask for written clarification of whatever your question is. With that reply in hand, you can shoot down any SP trooper giving you a hard time. Chances are he doesn't understand the nuances of the regulations regarding RV's either.

Incidentally, one of the reasons I gave up driving transit was the difficulty of keeping my BP below the 140/85 limit. When I first started, the limit was 160/100, but because I took medication for hypertension, I was only allowed a one-year medical cert, based on my regular BP of about 145/90 (stable for 15 years at the time).

When I went to renew, I was denied another full year and given a conditional 90-day cert and told to get my BP "under control" (i.e below 140/85) or my cert would be denied. After a lot of experimenting (fortunately at my Medicae PDP insurer's expense) I did get it below the new limit.

Interestingly, another driver, who went through training when I did, got a clean 2-year CDL, even though he was a diabetic. Within the first year he suffered a major heart attack (fortunately not on the job) and ended up taking a disability retirement.

About that time, the Seattle Times investigative team did a series called "Suddenly Sick" where they documented cases where newly hatched regulations resulted in tens of thousands of people suddenly having to investigate new medications in order to keep their jobs.

It turned out that the change in the BP limits was Federally mandated and based on a study of 200 people in the Navy. What a crock!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #34
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post
I am also a Marylander. Can you tell me what steps you had to take to get the proper license? I don't think I HAVE TO have it (22000 lb coach + 3400 lb toad), but I may want to tow a heavier toad and then I'd be over the limit on those occasions.
If your coach is under 26,000 lbs., and your toad is under 10,000, you don't need a different class license. In fact, if you wanted a Class B, you'd have to have a vehicle over 26k to take the test in.

That said, it's not all that hard. There's a written test (on computer) that you have to pass to get your Class B Non-commercial "learner's permit" (caught me by surprise, since I hadn't expected to take it that day, and hadn't read the book), then a driving test, administered by the examiners who normally do CDLs, so they're pretty strict. There's a prep guide here:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resource...al-Pretrip.pdf
Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post

About that time, the Seattle Times investigative team did a series called "Suddenly Sick" where they documented cases where newly hatched regulations resulted in tens of thousands of people suddenly having to investigate new medications in order to keep their jobs.
One of those "newly hatched" federal regulations caused me to loose my medical certificate in 2004. I figured that if the government considered me to sick to work, then they should pay me disability. I appled for Social Security disability, and they agreed. Been on disability ever since, best thing ever happened to me.

On another note, a CDL liscense is for "Commercial" driving. Unless you are driving rv's for a living, ie transport, cdl is NOT required.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
If your coach is under 26,000 lbs., and your toad is under 10,000, you don't need a different class license. In fact, if you wanted a Class B, you'd have to have a vehicle over 26k to take the test in.

That said, it's not all that hard. There's a written test (on computer) that you have to pass to get your Class B Non-commercial "learner's permit" (caught me by surprise, since I hadn't expected to take it that day, and hadn't read the book), then a driving test, administered by the examiners who normally do CDLs, so they're pretty strict. There's a prep guide here:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resource...al-Pretrip.pdf
In NY, the operative word is 'and' in the above statement. Your GCVWR must be under 26,000 lbs to operate with a standard license.

Meaning your coach weight + your toad weight adds to the weight rating of your license.

NYS requires an 'R' endorsement on your license (R-for 'recreational') if your gross combined vehicle rating exceeds 26K lbs.

Example: My coach gross weight per my registration is 20,500 lbs. My toad is 3200 lbs. Therefore my GCVWR is 23,700 lbs per the requrement, under the NYS requirement of 26,000 lbs for an 'R' endorsement on my license. So I'm legal in my coach and toad setup.

P.S. I will be getting my 'R' endorsement on my license when spring gets here, 'just because'....
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to nrc1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer

One of those "newly hatched" federal regulations caused me to loose my medical certificate in 2004. I figured that if the government considered me to sick to work, then they should pay me disability. I appled for Social Security disability, and they agreed. Been on disability ever since, best thing ever happened to me.

On another note, a CDL liscense is for "Commercial" driving. Unless you are driving rv's for a living, ie transport, cdl is NOT required.
Me to; I to am on disability but I am going nuts. And do not like the fact of being reliant on the fed for a paycheck the way this country is headed. Just want to be safe and not broke one day . I am determined to get better and figure out a financial solution out.
nrc1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to nrc1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher
The law has been in affect in Maryland for a few years their just now starting to enforce it. I'm not sure who all needs it but I know I did I've got a 42' diesel pusher. When I went to get the paper work the people at the DMV didn't know what I was talking about it took an hour for someone to find the test and paper work I needed. I took the written test that day and past it but when I came back four weeks later for the driving test it was crazy let's just say I didn't past lol. The officer that was giving me the test was not very informative about how the test was going to go. The only thing I would say to you is go get the proper license if something should anything happen at less your have the right license. If you decide to go get your license I'd be happy to talk to you by phone about somethings that may help you with the test. Good luck
Don't worry it's a govt thing many people including myself did not pass the first time and I have been driving big rigs since I was 9 yrs on my uncles garbage truck and other big construction equipment and other cdl required things I could of taught the inspector a few things but He was grading me so I listen to what we are taught in construction buss " never dig a whole with your mouth you can't get your backside out of, :-)

nrc1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving