Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Ceiling Cleaning, best cleaners, processes?

Hi All,

Looking to address my ceiling cleaning. The RV was smoked in, and the ceiling has a tint of yellow from smoke. It is a perforated vinyl material. It is starting to sag in areas, and I am intending on screwing it and covering with caps (pictured). As I clean it, I don't want to encourage it to sag more, so I am assuming I should stay away from steam and anything with too much moisture.

Does anyone know of powerful cleaner's which can do the job?

I'm also concerned that because it is perforated, smoke may be trapped in the material above/behind it, which would be bad because would probably still have some residual smell.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	134597   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	134598  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010846 (1).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	134599  
coolkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
ceiling

I bought a motorhome that had stains on ceiling cause by roof leak. I found that Oxyclean work best.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would start with something simple. I used a wet Swiffer the other day on ours. If that doesn't clean it, I would step it up to the OxyClean as stated.

I've got to say that I've seen a lot of sagging ceilings that people have tried all types of repairs. Your idea is pretty good. The finish product looks nice. Good solution and thinking out of the box!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #4

How about ammonia?

I have had great luck using diluted ammonia as a cleaner. Took all the stains off my ceiling from a leaky roof.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Also consider magic eraser and then rent an ozone machine and let it run over the weekend or 2 or 3 days, should make the smoke smell go away! It worked wonders in a house we bought for a rent house that had a cigar smoker in it.

I think it was $200 for 2 commercial ozone machines for 3 days. They brought it out, set it up and picked it up when done. You would only need one for an RV I would think.
McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
I bought a motorhome that had stains on ceiling cause by roof leak. I found that Oxyclean work best.
Do you use a specific ratio of Oxy/water?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I would start with something simple. I used a wet Swiffer the other day on ours. If that doesn't clean it, I would step it up to the OxyClean as stated.

I've got to say that I've seen a lot of sagging ceilings that people have tried all types of repairs. Your idea is pretty good. The finish product looks nice. Good solution and thinking out of the box!
Thanks for the kind words, but I can't take credit. I discovered this on a forum and thought it was the most cost-effective and physically non-taxing approach. I've had far too many projects in my life which I've poured sweat and blood into, only to sell it to someone and they enjoy the fruits of my labors :(. So this time, I am just going to try this approach.

Good advice on Oxy, It is some tough cleaner.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLoon View Post
I have had great luck using diluted ammonia as a cleaner. Took all the stains off my ceiling from a leaky roof.
How diluted?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKTX View Post
Also consider magic eraser and then rent an ozone machine and let it run over the weekend or 2 or 3 days, should make the smoke smell go away! It worked wonders in a house we bought for a rent house that had a cigar smoker in it.

I think it was $200 for 2 commercial ozone machines for 3 days. They brought it out, set it up and picked it up when done. You would only need one for an RV I would think.
Interesting about magic eraser. I'll look into it. I bought a Heavy duty Ozone machine a few months ago for this . I'm going to clean this thing up and blast it, hopefully the smoke odor will go away. I just can't tolerate this scent.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #10

Also wondering if this is a paintable material? I am planning on painting all of the cabinets white, but have read of others' doing so, while ignoring the ceiling only to have the ceiling produce an "off white/yellow" color against new white paint. If it's paintable, that's easy enough, but it is a vinyl, so I don't know how this will work.

My father says no, it will flake. He's in construction so I defer to him a bit, but still think it can be painted

Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would never paint it.....your father is right. Once you paint, you can never go back. Now dyeing it may be an option.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I would never paint it.....your father is right. Once you paint, you can never go back. Now dyeing it may be an option.
I see, perhaps I'll have to paint the upper cabinets a darker color than to create the contrast against the ceiling. Will try some cleaning options out tonight and see how it goes. I'm tempted to use a scotch bright pad because of how well they clean. In fact in the picture you can notice a white area and the yellow color. That was cleaned with a scotchbrite pad and a mixture of random cleaners.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #13

Dilution

Don't recall the exact dilution. Seems to me I used 4 parts hot water to one part ammonia.

Tags
ceiling