RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
DDL

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ceiling Stains

Hi all. We bought a used 2000 Holiday Rambler 43PBD that was in amazing condition and very well cared for. One thing is driving me nuts and we’ve exhausted all of our ideas to fix it.

There are a couple of areas on the ceiling where I would assume there was some water damage at one time. They are about the size of a dinner plate and have that off- brown discolouring. Our entire ceiling is that one piece soft fabric material in a light off-white/cream colour. We have tried soap and water, upholstery cleaner, carpet cleaner, 303, Awesome spray, even a diluted bleach mixture. Nothing seems to touch it and the more I try to clean it (and get it wet in doing so) the off colour stain grows.

Is there any other product worth trying and if not, is there a product that you can apply to that material that freshens it up but doesn’t make it hard when it dries (e.g. like paint, dye, etc).

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on this.

DDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #2

Try Oxyclean spray. Let it stay for about 5 minutes them wipe clean or rinse with a soft cloth. I have used it on my RV shades and it worked perfectly.

Berndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDL View Post
Hi all. We bought a used 2000 Holiday Rambler 43PBD that was in amazing condition and very well cared for. One thing is driving me nuts and we’ve exhausted all of our ideas to fix it.

There are a couple of areas on the ceiling where I would assume there was some water damage at one time. They are about the size of a dinner plate and have that off- brown discolouring. Our entire ceiling is that one piece soft fabric material in a light off-white/cream colour. We have tried soap and water, upholstery cleaner, carpet cleaner, 303, Awesome spray, even a diluted bleach mixture. Nothing seems to touch it and the more I try to clean it (and get it wet in doing so) the off colour stain grows.

Is there any other product worth trying and if not, is there a product that you can apply to that material that freshens it up but doesn’t make it hard when it dries (e.g. like paint, dye, etc).

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on this.

Try Mr Clean Erasure
golfman8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #4

Hydrogen peroxide is worth trying if the others don't get it off
Old 12-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #5

We used a small carpet steam cleaner. Just remember don't go crazy. Small steps as you don't want to remove the adhesive.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My brother-in-law’s ceiling was stained like yours. We mixed 1/2 water and 1/2 bleach in a spray bottle. Sprayed it on the stain and it disappeared.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #7

I've had real good results with 'Invincible', it was a as seen on TV product from the ShamWow guy. Believe its either peroxide or oxyclean like ingredient, its cheap and available on Amazon now. That aside - my first camper had water leak stains on the ceiling and it really took care of them.
K_n_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #8

Oxyclean worked on my holiday rambler ceiling
Old 12-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryofWV View Post
My brother-in-law’s ceiling was stained like yours. We mixed 1/2 water and 1/2 bleach in a spray bottle. Sprayed it on the stain and it disappeared.

We did the same, using bleach, and were successful at removing stains. Note: have lots of ventilation when using that strong bleach solution. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:58 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryofWV View Post
That worked for me, I sprayed it once and it faded and then sprayed it a second time the next day and it is now completely gone.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Zep makes a spray that removes those types of stains! Bought it at Menards, and it worked great for me on those stains! I gave it to a man and his wife camped next to me when we were camped at 4 mile SP, Niagara Falls, when he ask me if I knew of something that would take out the stains in his bathroom ceiling where a skylight had leaked in the past! It worked for him too! Took two times, for him, same as for me! It smells very strong of bleach, so ventilation is a good idea when using it!
It was not expensive, and I will buy it again! Rail!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:13 AM   #12

I used Shout and a shop vac. Worked well.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #13

Try Super Clean it's amazing! Get it at auto parts store.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Zep makes a spray that removes those types of stains! Bought it at Menards, and it worked great for me on those stains! I gave it to a man and his wife camped next to me when we were camped at 4 mile SP, Niagara Falls, when he ask me if I knew of something that would take out the stains in his bathroom ceiling where a skylight had leaked in the past! It worked for him too! Took two times, for him, same as for me! It smells very strong of bleach, so ventilation is a good idea when using it!
It was not expensive, and I will buy it again! Rail!
I have used Zep on difficult stains as well, just not on a ceiling. Great product.

Tags
ceiling