Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sozo View Post
...Motor Homes are limited in most states to 45 feet however MOTOR COACHES are limited to 50 feet...
Can you provide the Florida reference?

For those that don't know, Federal DoT requirements generally are not applicable to non commercial vehicles. State requirements are what will get us. Yes, in many states they simply adopt the federal requirements, but not all.

Federal DoT requirements would be problems for some of us specific to length, width, and axle weights.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to irv2 and thanks for your input.
Cliff
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Can you provide the Florida reference?

For those that don't know, Federal DoT requirements generally are not applicable to non commercial vehicles. State requirements are what will get us. Yes, in many states they simply adopt the federal requirements, but not all.

Federal DoT requirements would be problems for some of us specific to length, width, and axle weights.
Sure.

Florida Statute Chapter 316 Section 515 Reference 9 Point A (316.515.9.A)
Quote:
(9) BUSES AND PRIVATE MOTOR COACHES.—(a) Anything in this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, no bus or private motor coach may exceed a length of 50 feet, for a single-unit coach, or 65 feet, for an articulated coach. No bus or private motor coach may exceed a width of 102 inches, exclusive of safety equipment.
The definition of private Motor Coaches can be found here in 320.01.5
Quote:
5. The “private motor coach,” which is a vehicular unit which does not exceed the length, width, and height limitations provided in s. 316.515(9), is built on a self-propelled bus type chassis having no fewer than three load-bearing axles, and is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.
Hope that's what you were looking for.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #18

Sozo, thanks! It's interesting that Florida found a need to have a unique single vehicle length for 3 axle coaches. The challenge for most is staying under the combination length limit.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Sozo, thanks! It's interesting that Florida found a need to have a unique single vehicle length for 3 axle coaches. The challenge for most is staying under the combination length limit.
I thought it was interesting too and made me wonder how many other states have distinctions like that. Since I'm in Florida this one benefits me so I'm not complaining. LOL
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #20

Quote:

I thought it was interesting too and made me wonder how many other states have distinctions like that. Since I'm in Florida this one benefits me so I'm not complaining. LOL
It benefits us only until we leave the state. Each state has to recognize the licensing of other states. Almost all other state requirements apply, regardless of where we are from.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Drivers licenses are reciprocal. If you have the appropriate license in your domicile state you are legal in all states.

Motor vehicle regulations are not reciprocal. What's legal in one state may be legal in another.

Delaware's laws regarding RV length;

Quote:
b. No single recreational vehicle, including any load or truck camper thereon, shall exceed 45 feet in length; and

c.  No combination of a recreational vehicle with any vehicle, including the load thereon, nor any combination of any motor vehicle with any camping trailer, recreational trailer or park trailer attached thereto, shall exceed 65 feet in length.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #22

iRV2 No Limits Club
I would also imagine, I don't know for sure, that over length permits could be obtained, just like a overweight or over wide permit.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #23

I can't imagine anyone being sited for an over length violation if they are just merely passing through. I was lead to believe that if I'm legal in Florida (for length let's say) that I'm legal in any state as long as I"m just passing through. It's only when you take up residence temporary or otherwise that those restrictions apply as they are intended for vehicles registered in that state. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I've been told.

Also, as someone mentioned over length permits can be obtain fairly easy. In Florida you can do it online, pay the fee and they'll mail your permit.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree that an oversized vehicle permit is always available.

But manufacturers are bound by regulations for maximums, and it seems like the max length regulation has been massaged(?).

So, if 52' is the new length limit, how long 'til we see a RV offered in that length?

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #25

Quote:
I can't imagine anyone being sited for an over length violation if they are just merely passing through. I was lead to believe that if I'm legal in Florida (for length let's say) that I'm legal in any state as long as I"m just passing through. It's only when you take up residence temporary or otherwise that those restrictions apply as they are intended for vehicles registered in that state. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I've been told..
Not true. It you want to find out drive through CA. They seem to be the most active at enforcement. A NM motor carrier law enforcement officer told me they don't stop RVs if they otherwise are obeying their laws.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #26
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Not true. It you want to find out drive through CA. They seem to be the most active at enforcement. A NM motor carrier law enforcement officer told me they don't stop RVs if they otherwise are obeying their laws.
I really think this is the case most of the time. If you are not doing something stupid you will not be stopped.

Tags
motorhome