Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #15

Gemini5362...I know you said you don't like your Dirt Devil because it has poor suction. If you haven't done so so far, open the vacuum cleaner bag area. For some stupid reason they put the extra bags in there when they install it. With the extra bags in there it has little or no suction, when you take the spare bags out it works great.It made a huge difference in ours.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #16

We have had the Dirt Devil CV950 in our last 5th Wheel, 2013 Redwood and our new MH, 2015 Discovery and it works very well plenty of suction,(provided you make sure the bag is changed occasionally). The only draw back to this is the spring loaded hose that all manufacturers use. My wife says that If you are stretched all of the way out your arms can get tired using it. Other than that it is a very good system and compact also.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We bought an InterVac. Love it. It can be installed inside or out. There are several different ones. It's made in the US & has something like a 6 year warranty. Check it out at InterVac Product Lines - InterVac Design Corp.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Beam Model 35
11.2 amps
water lift is not specified
Cost $454.00

I've called their ?customer service? and they will not tell me, they have taken themselves out of the running.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have made the controversial decision to replace the motor in the current vacuum.

It seems these Beam Vacuum were high end units used in boats the lowest suction rating I have been able to find is 128" of water lift.

The motor has been ordered.

I will document the rebuild of the unit when the motor arrives.

Customer service is very snooty, they refer you to dealers, and dealers will only talk to people within a 100 mile radius. I am outside the 100 miles.
Never heard of restrictions like this before.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Central Vacuum / Next Project / Motor Bearing / Suggestions

GlennLever
Good luck with your rebuild!
Do keep us posted on your progress!
Hugh
Old 09-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #21
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
So...another incomplete project because no one carries parts any more.

The Central vacuum stopped working awhile back, turned out the rear bearing was shot in the motor. The bearing was an integral part of the rear housing, and even if it wasn't how far gone would the brushes be. The motor is the only moving part in the vacuum, and after looking at replacement vacuums;

Dirt Devil CV950
6.25 x 7 x 14.5
11.3 amps
water lift is 105"
cost, hard to find but found $289.99

Dirt Devil CV1500
7.5 x 7 x 14.25
11.7 amps
water lift 120"
Cost $344.98

CV140 Yellow Jacket
14.5 X 7
10 amps
water lift 86"
Cost 139.95

Beam Model 35
11.2 amps
water lift is not specified
Cost $454.00

I decided it was worth the $103 for a New Motor

So the project starts

Note how the hoses come in from the side, and in the picture the name is straight across. I wanted the name to be straight across but that is not how it was mounted in the Motor Home. If you look at the picture below you will see the latches on the body of the vacuum are not straight up and down and the catches are inline with the name. So currently if the cover is latched the name is at a 30 degree angle.

The Model 33S is no longer made, the closest I could come was the 35, the motor fits both.

This unit was designed for high end marine use, note the UL listing, and google the name.

The unit was removed from the motor home, who ever installed it originally glued it to the rear wall with silicone, it was a pain to get down. I had to remove the tiny screws that held the back cover onto the unit while the unit was screwed to the wall to get it out.

Got the unit down stairs and on the work bench.

Removed the old motor, here are the new and old motors sitting side by side.

Swapped all the parts from the old motor to the new motor including the gasket, that was the only casualty, glued it together with some gasket sealer.

and then found a new gasket had been included in the box with the new motor.

Put everything back together, and of course cleaned everything up.

and mounted it back into the motor home. I first mounted it so the name was straight across, but then the hoses come out of the bottom of the unit. I remounted the unit so the name is perpendicular, and no matches the labeling on the inverter. I can live with that. The hoses now come out of the side of the unit so they do not interfere with the storage space below the unit.

I cannot complete the project as no one carries the size hose (ID) this unit uses, and no one has the OD PVC pipe this unit uses.

I want the exhaust hose to exit the compartment to the outside air so that dust is not blown around inside the compartment with the inverter, and so the compartment door does not need to be opened to run the vacuum (The compartment is sealed and the exhaust would build pressure in the compartment with the door open).

So... without the materials to complete that task this is yet another project oh so close, but not yet complete.

The wife is happy though as the new unit sucks so hard it picks the wall to wall carpeting up off the floor. It sucks up and sand or dirt off the tile.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Central Vacuum / Next Project / Motor Bearing / Suggestions

Looks good, GlennLever! Working well too is definitely a bonus!
Thanks for the detailed update as promised.
I get the distinct impression that with your ingenuity and perseverance you'll successfully problem solve your exhaust/ventilation preferences and finalize the project to your complete satisfaction!
BTW, nice coach!!
Old 09-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #23

Grainger carries most vac. Motors.