Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Michelen has a comment on their website about some balancing beads or powder voiding the warranty.
Do you have a link to that website? I replaced my XZA3+ tires last year and the dealer recommended Counteract Beads. They were only about $15 per wheel so I went ahead with them. So far, the coach has never run so smooth so I'm happy.
But, I have not heard anything regarding them effecting warranty and I can find nothing in any Michelin website. If you have that site, is love to see it.

Counteract Tire Balancing Beads

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #16

I googled Michelin tire FAQ.

The warranty will only be affected if the moisture content is high or the beads harm the inner liner.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #17

People swear by beads and centrimatics on our street bikes yet I still prefer the good old fashion spin balance with weights. My coach is no different.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
People swear by beads and centrimatics on our street bikes yet I still prefer the good old fashion spin balance with weights. My coach is no different.

Me too. Spin balancing. Most of us won't put enough miles on them to matter anyway.

Cheers!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Never had either in my last 200 K plus miles the last 10 years or so . IMO- If you need them then you have other issues with the Tires Wheels - Front End Ect. I always trust my Tire Guys as in the Last 4 sets of Michelin's .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Never had either in my last 200 K plus miles the last 10 years or so . IMO- If you need them then you have other issues with the Tires Wheels - Front End Ect. I always trust my Tire Guys as in the Last 4 sets of Michelin's .
First - thanks to everyone for all for the input.

To NHRA225: There's the rub - can I use aftermarket products to offset potential problems with the wheel, the tire, the suspension or all three?

Seems I have 4 choices: centramatics, beads of some forms, spin balancing or default/do nothing. Lots of good experience/many miles on each of the first three choices.

Like many of you, I've used spin balancing for years on my cars with good results. Plan on looking closer at all the options suggested here.

Let me know if your recommendation changes if this my current situation: still working, family weekender and extended vacationer. Looking to minimize risks and make RVing as trouble free as possible. I really want to think this thru once, make a choice and then set it and forget it.

Yes, I might be delusional or naive. That said, would you stick with your original post?

As always - thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #21

spin balance for sure, but some shops may not have the equipment. my previous set of tires were spun balanced. it ran smooth like a silk. my current set is on beads because the shop told me $15/pc for spin and $7/pc for beads at the time. i thought to give it a shot so chose the beads. well, i'd say beads are ok but i can tell the difference. my next set will be back with spin.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post

Do you spin balance your automobile tires?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #23

American Coach Owners Club
All of my vehicles are spin balanced, haven't had any balancing issues.
MH was Spin balanced as recommended from my Tire Dealer, on my 4th set of Michelins. Currently XZA3's 280/75 22.5 - Smooth as Glass
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Took off 13 ounces of spun weights off 6 tires, installed Centramatics, ran smoother!!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #25

Have had my rig for just about a year. Tires all spin-balanced multiple times, swapped back and forth and a rim changed, front tires replaced, all tires replaced, road-forced with spin balancing and centrimatics.

You can balance all you want, but if the wheels ain't round......
Old 01-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Have had my rig for just about a year. Tires all spin-balanced multiple times, swapped back and forth and a rim changed, front tires replaced, all tires replaced, road-forced with spin balancing and centrimatics.

You can balance all you want, but if the wheels ain't round......
Right! A local tire shop used to have a tire truing machine for out-of-round auto tires. I don't know if one is made for truck tires. It sure made a big difference for a tire that would not run true after balancing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I spin balance everything and believe spin balancing is the only way to go on CARS. When it comes to motor homes, spin balance works, as long as you do it 3-4 times during the life of the tire. I tried beads on the front end of my Monaco and they worked well. With that said, I like a more permanent solution and use Centramatics on all three axles. They're pricey and not for everyone.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had them all... Spin balance, beads and centramatics.
I can tell you, (IMHO) that Centramatics are the only way to go on a motorhome. I've had them on my previous class C and as soon as I got my current DP I bought new tires and installed Centramatics.
They not only balance the tires, but the hub assembly too.
Big difference in ride... Very smooth and I don't have to worry about throwing a wheel weight or ever having to re-balance the wheels.

Thanks, Brian