Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchase a Honeywell Pro Series, model HZ510. It's a 1500w, ceramic, forced air heater. I picked it up at Princess Auto over the weekend for $49.99. It's quiet small but packs a big punch. It weighs about 3lbs. It's size is 12"x6"x6" plus the legs add about another 1.5" in height. It kept our 31ft rig, with two slides, at a comfortable 20C/ 68F all night. We found the noise of the fan to be at a level that was quite acceptable, we consider ourselves to be light to average sleepers.
Cheers.

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I was in SD pheasant hunting last November, my aqua hot blew a hose off a fitting and lost all of my coolant, I purchased one of these to get through the night (upper 20's) and liked it so much I have kept it as a backup, supplemental interior heat, and to use in my enclosed trailer for the bird dogs at night.

Eight Quartz Element Portable Infrared Heater at Menards

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #17

Our coach originally came with a small table between the two recliners. I took it out and replaced it with an Edenpure quartz heater knockoff from Princess Auto. It serves as a table, and heats the whole coach just fine. I even screwed the table lamp into the top surface with shallow screws.
camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oscillating Ceramic Heater - World Marketing NTK15 - Portable Heaters - Camping World

This little guy heats my little 31' coach in minutes. It is incredible, has 2 power settings, and oscillates. I am very impressed with it. Reviews are where I started on looking, this one rates one of the top.

Your coach one up front and one in the bedroom would keep you nice and toasty.

Hope this helps!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
One thing to be aware of if you have an inverter. They are not made to run a high demand unit for long periods of time and it's possible to burn them out. I did. Right now I have a 12 ga extension cord running through the window to run the 1500 watt heater. At some point in the future I'm going to install a separate circuit that with an outlet in the coach and one in the basement next to the water/waste bay. My diesel heater works great but it does get spendy to run it all the time when you want to get things warmed up.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have two of these Sunbeams aboard-- little cube, about 7 inches. Use one or both to augment the rooftop heat pumps as needed-- rarely need both. We only use the propane furnace for temps near or below freezing, which is almost never.

Two heat modes(1000/1500W) plus fan only, manual thermostat. Works like a champ, pours out the heat and circulates the air. Walmart, $18 each.
Attached Images

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #21

I've read all y'all's posts- agreed. The small cheap cube shaped heaters are awesome. We rarely run the furnace. As long as they are on separate circuits they work fine. We move one near the bathroom during shower time. It's always warm and cozy.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ceramic/portable heaters are fine, but don't forget this about holding tanks if you don't have aqua hot system, or a basic coach like mine has to have the furnace on to keep the tanks from freezing. Also, I would put a small thermostat heater in the utility bay as well if you are in blowing wind and freezing temps below about 25 degrees for too long.

My owner's manual states this about cold weather usage. I know many folks have the aqua hot and this doesn't matter, but for folks like me that have the 'plain jane' furnace, don't forget that your holding tanks and plumbing lines need to have the furnace running at least in the following extreme cold weather conditions, unless you have winterized them with the pink stuff.....

Quote:
Extreme Cold Weather Usage:

The holding tank area is heated through ducts from the furnace. To assure adequate heat is available to prevent holding tank freeze-up during extreme cold weather use, the furnace thermostat should be set no lower than 65 degrees if the outdoor temperature is 10 to 35 degrees. For temperatures lower than 10 degrees, set the thermostat I degree higher for
each degree the outdoor temperature drops below 10 degrees. See the examples in the table below.

Ambient (Outdoor) Furnace
Temperature Thermostat Setting
10 - 35 65
9 66
8 67
7 68
6 69
5 70
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have been using the Dayton 1VNW9 heater for several years. The main reason is that they have 3 wattage settings. Low is about 550 watts, medium is about 980 watts and high is about 1350 watts. These are actual readings I have taken with a meter. We have three. We will use 1, 2 or 3 as needed but only on the low wattage setting. That way I'm only pulling 550 watts through any one outlet.

The second reason is the mechanical tip over switch located on the bottom. It is a plunger type that is very easy to test. We have 2 pets that have knocked over a heater twice in 5 years. We found them in the morning knocked over and the cats were cold.

If interested, you can find them here: DAYTON Electric Space Htr, Fan Forced, 120V - Portable Electric Heaters - 1VNW9|1VNW9 - Grainger Industrial Supply
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, all kinds of little quartz heaters. I also like the small cube 1500 watt heaters with a fan. I have a Broan heater. Another great little heater.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #25

I had a similar experience. All of the 110v plugs in my coach run through my inverter. Even when plugged into shore power all of the current still runs through the inverter. The inverter isn't inverting dc to ac, however there are still circuits that see the full power even when in bypass mode.

I had a connection inside the inverter get hot enough to melt and short to ground. Now I do not run two 1500 watt heaters unless I run one to an extension cord plugged into the outside pedestal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
One thing to be aware of if you have an inverter. They are not made to run a high demand unit for long periods of time and it's possible to burn them out. I did. Right now I have a 12 ga extension cord running through the window to run the 1500 watt heater. At some point in the future I'm going to install a separate circuit that with an outlet in the coach and one in the basement next to the water/waste bay. My diesel heater works great but it does get spendy to run it all the time when you want to get things warmed up.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Ceramic/portable heaters are fine, but don't forget this about holding tanks if you don't have aqua hot system, or a basic coach like mine has to have the furnace on to keep the tanks from freezing. Also, I would put a small thermostat heater in the utility bay as well if you are in blowing wind and freezing temps below about 25 degrees for too long. My owner's manual states this about cold weather usage. I know many folks have the aqua hot and this doesn't matter, but for folks like me that have the 'plain jane' furnace, don't forget that your holding tanks and plumbing lines need to have the furnace running at least in the following extreme cold weather conditions, unless you have winterized them with the pink stuff.....
Thank you. So if I dump pink stuff in each tank during the night time, when it's usually coldest, I should be ok?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I keep a 100W light bulb in an aluminum reflector in the wet bay, although I do have a couple 200W heaters I bought at Wal*Mart a couple years ago plus a thermal switch that I'll try later when it gets out of the 70's during the day. Finally found an inside/outside thermometer that I can read inside the stick house to put in the wet bay. Last one I bought wouldn't work even though the MH was less than 20' from the house. New one must have a stronger signal.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater