Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
Ok I think I get the idea

Ill buy the chains to be legal and stay off the road if I need them.
This is obviously a more mature plan than risking damaging the coach
I would like to know what chain sizes fit 295/80/22.5 as I can't see any that match the size. I see 70 profile but surely they would be too small.
Personally I wouldn't worry about the size as I would never use them. As I said earlier I would only have the to provide evidence, so why not buy the cheapest ones possible and who cares if they fit or not.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Snow chains on my MH? Poleeeease!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #17

We drive in the mountains in WA and Western Canada in the winter - and we frequently encounter some snow. Chains are a requirement from October 1st until April 30th. I have cables (same thing, just more compact), they are the right size, and I won't get a ticket.

Having said that, I tried to put on once on a sunny afternoon - not at roadside in a blizzard. Took over an hour to get ONE on and off. Trucks don't have their drive axles contained in wheel housings, so it is much simpler to do this on a tractor. I was told that if you use them they get looser and are easier to work with, and was suggested that I put the inner tire up on a piece of 2x6 to take some of the pressure off the outer drive tire.

A friend of ours borrowed some chains from a trucker coming north to BC (it was one of those things where they had to be there), got up the hill but one of the chains came free and ripped up his fiberglass to the tune of a few thousand bucks.

My view - I watch the weather and look for a window where chains won't be required, but I carry them because it is the law.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBolin View Post
Personally I wouldn't worry about the size as I would never use them. As I said earlier I would only have the to provide evidence, so why not buy the cheapest ones possible and who cares if they fit or not.
The WA law requires that the chains fit the tires on your rig. Now, will they ever check this? I have no way of knowing. Lived her for 66 years and have never been checked to see if I was carrying chains. But then, I don't ski and stay out of the mountains in the winter if I can!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I carry chains because that is the law. I have never used them, and I never will.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman65 View Post
also a little trick is drive the inside duals up onto blocks then you can put the chains on the outside duels and get them tight without driving onto them all the other stuff. much faster and easier. good luck Terril
You beat me to it. This is the best way to do it.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Can you buy them from truck stops??
Wheel size is 295/80
Monaco Signature
Towing Subaru outback
We have the "Super Z", part# ZT881, which fits yours size tire and many other sizes, from Super Z .
Paid $190 a couple of yrs ago online.
Watch the video then practice once at least before you are forced to do it in a blizzard.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #22

Does anyone know of a list of states that require you carry chains regardless of weather? Being a sunshine boy, I had foolishly assumed (until I saw this thread) that as long as we didn't try and travel when the roads call for "chains required" we'd be okay.

Our plan (weather permitting) is to drive I-80 from the SF Bay Area to Cheyenne, WY. I would prefer not to drive the extra 400 miles taking 5/58/40/25if I can avoid it (although I'm resigned to doing so if the weather is at all marginal).

Thanks!

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Ok I think I get the idea

Ill buy the chains to be legal and stay off the road if I need them.
This is obviously a more mature plan than risking damaging the coach
I would like to know what chain sizes fit 295/80/22.5 as I can't see any that match the size. I see 70 profile but surely they would be too small.

I was going to post my thoughts, but you did it better.

This is the best advice in this thread.. Get a set of chains and put 'em where you can get at 'em fairly easily.. IF you get ask to produce them you can,, Still in the box, Brand new.

If you need 'em you got 'em

But if you need 'em (And I've only needed them one time in a state that did not require) do what I did. PARK for the night.

Come morning I did not need 'em any more.. But it was very clear that several people did, cause on the news (As I sat in the coproative rest area resteurant) I heard how the ditches were lined with cars.

And once I got back on the clear and dry (Thanks to the road comission trucks) Freeway... I found the news was not kidding about the cars in the ditch.

As for me, clear and dry till I got to my destination, then I had abut 4-6 inches of virgin snow on the parking lot,, at <5mph, with 22.5's... Not a problem.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #24

Here's the skinny on chains in CA based on my 33 years with the CHP, including hundreds and hundreds of hours on chain control in the San Bernardino mountains.

1. Buy good metal chains. Cable chains are junk. They won't stay tight. If I had a dollar for every cable chain I saw laying along side the road I'd have my secretary in my 2013 Prevost writing this.

2. Buy at least two slack adjusters for every tire chain. You want them TIGHT.

3. Buy a chain tool; a special par of pliers to remove broken cross chains. (You WILL break some.). Figure every thump that broken chain makes is $100 in body damage to your vehicles fenders.

4. Practice, practice putting them on in your dry, warm driveway. Read the instructions. DO NOT put the vehicle on a jack. Disaster about to happen.
I put them on patrol cars and my personal vehicles so many times I can do it in about 10 minutes a tire. Guarantee it'll take you at least an hour per tire, much longer laying in the slush, cold, wet, dark, and miserable.

5. In CA we checked the size of chains people showed us. A pair of VW chains will not fit a motorhome and you can't pick up a set of RV chains with one hand. They are very heavy.

6. Motorhome (22.5" tires) chains will run about $200 or more.

7. The OFFICER will NOT put your chains on for you.

8. Any vehicle a GVWR of 6,500 lbs or more MUST chain up, if chains are required. Snow tires applicable to passenger cars and lighter pickups only. Most all 3/4 ton pickups, Suburbans, Tahoes, etc must chain up, even if 4X4.

9. The really SMART thing to do is ride it out in some truck stop or parking lot. You may well be the best ice, snow, slush, whiteout driver that ever blessed the highway, but I GUARANTEE you there are complete blithering idiots out there to get YOU. If they have ski racks on their vehicles they left every ounce of common sense they ever had at home.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Words of advice,

1. Buy a quality set of chains and have them in your MH at all times. (No cable chains) Chains can help with other loss of traction situations (mud, slick grass, etc.)

2. If chains are required, wait it out. In many cases the chains required situation will be temporary until it is plowed and sanded.

3. Plan to go through snow areas in the warm part of the daytime. The traffic and warmth often breaks up the snow an ice and clears the road surface.

4. DRIVE SLOWLY and pull over in safe areas to let the idiots go by.

Your MH weight can be a help but can also be your enemy. The weight will help with traction but keep in mind that the faster you go the further you will slide.

I have driven my MH on snow packed roads (a few inches) and was surprised on how well it performed. With that being said, if chains are required I would not do it in my MH at all.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Does anyone know of a list of states that require you carry chains regardless of weather? Being a sunshine boy, I had foolishly assumed (until I saw this thread) that as long as we didn't try and travel when the roads call for "chains required" we'd be okay.

Our plan (weather permitting) is to drive I-80 from the SF Bay Area to Cheyenne, WY. I would prefer not to drive the extra 400 miles taking 5/58/40/25if I can avoid it (although I'm resigned to doing so if the weather is at all marginal).

Thanks!

Steve
This might help:

Tire Chain Laws
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since the OPs trip is all Cali Sierra Nevada, then what They do in Canada, Washington, Oregon or anywhere else is purely academic.

Heres the rules straight from the source:
Chain Requirements

Please notice that CalTrans and the CHP can require chains on both of your duals...in some conditions.

Making the crossing many times myself on 80 and 50, my opinion is that the smart RV owner would just wait out any storms. Its not like the Great White North...the storm will pass in a reasonable time.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #28

OldChief7155....OUTSTANDING post!

Have travelled the northern Sierras extensively for over 25 years in good weather and bad. Your comments are spot on. Up north here, the CHP will NOT allow you to go up into the mountains under certain conditions without chains....period. And they will check correct chain size. I love your point #9. Like you say, best thing is to ride the foul weather out somewhere....and not at the bottom of a gulley.

Like you, I have lost count of the number of fools I have seen standing next to their tore-up vehicles....usually next to a guardrail or at the botom of a ravine. No trip and no schedule is worth becoming a statistic in the mountains during the Winter. I learned a long time ago that those beautiful mountains out here can play for keeps....especially when those Winter storms come calling.