Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Change cummins air filter or not

1999 HR Endeavor cummins 5.9 DP. The air filter was last replaced 10/2008 but had not been used much all in the last few years. I recently purchased the MH and the DP well below the max of 25 but recommendation is replacement is both on DP or time (2 years).
It seems reasonable to replace it, advice please

Thanks Gene
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
air filter

Replace now then watch air restriction indicator for the next change. The less you mess with the filter the better.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I changed mine when I purchaesd my MH for he peace of mind, that I would reduce the chance of filter element coming apart and going through the turbocharger, did not see any performance change.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

I think there is a tremendous "peace of mind" to be gained by establishing a "maintenance baseline" for a "new" coach [ie, knowing the current condition of all fluids and filters]. Opinions vary on filters and fluid changes [usually based on age, miles, and/or conditions]. In most cases, the price of a fluid or filter change is minimal when compared to the repair cost for an associated component failure. Consider all the opinions, check the manufacturers' "suggested" change intervals, then if still in doubt--CHANGE IT!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all and what old scout said is what I have done for every thing else as well as Randy, I worry about it coming apart.

Gene
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #6

You can blow the filter out with an compressor to get more life out it.

Blow it out and the reset the air restrictor indicator and monitor it going forward.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexabbot
You can blow the filter out with an compressor to get more life out it.

Blow it out and the reset the air restrictor indicator and monitor it going forward.
Post this suggestion on the Cummins forum and ask for comments from Spike45. He is a retired field engineer for Fleetguard. A Diesel engine is a big air pump and consumes a lot of air. If it ingests 4-6 ounces of dust over its service life it will need rebuilding.

If you blow out your air filter and reuse it you are putting your engine at risk.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Replace it.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure how many others have a "Sealed" unit. The element is totally sealed in a housing on mine. I hate it because you can't even do a visual inpection on it. All you have is the monitoring of the air restriction gauge. If your filter was falling apart, as another poster put it, you would have no restriction but also not have much of a filter. I would like to change mine over to a servicable type air cleaner housing so I can open up, inspect, and change the filter element. Any one else have that type on an 8.3 Cummins?
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have posted this tale before, but I believe it is worth repeating. WE had a late model DP on our lot. I was starting all the motorhomes to repark the lot. there was a slight knock coming from the engine. The engine was under warrenty so I drove it to the cat. dealer. They found the air filter had never been changed. It had gotten brittle and disintegrated and gone through the turbo and the engine. warrenty was turned down. We wound up wholesaling a nice DP because no one had changed the air filter.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Once installed the air filter begins to deteriorate. Kind of like tires. I replace mine every 3 years.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check around for pricing on the new filter also. NAPA wanted $188 for mine, got one for less that $100 from Fleetfilters.com
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Not sure how many others have a "Sealed" unit. The element is totally sealed in a housing on mine. I hate it because you can't even do a visual inpection on it. All you have is the monitoring of the air restriction gauge. If your filter was falling apart, as another poster put it, you would have no restriction but also not have much of a filter. I would like to change mine over to a servicable type air cleaner housing so I can open up, inspect, and change the filter element. Any one else have that type on an 8.3 Cummins?
My Cummins 6.7 has a similar filter with a metal housing. $65 with a 10% discount.

Freightliner suggests changing annually because moisture and heat are just as bad as dirt and debris from mileage. My experience is that it will last longer if you are using the coach vs storage in snow or heat and humidity. I check mine by removing the flexible intake hose on top rear and look down at the element through the opening.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Probably a Farr-Ecolite. Not the best filter but sometimes easier to fit in the limited space available. Mine continually runs 15 and above, would like to go to a less restrictive filter but about all I can do is go to a larger size of what I already have and that would take all new intake plumbing. I think I can do it but need to study it some more. The piping and rubber pieces are readily available but I would need to have some welding on aluminum done for the restriction meter fitting.
Also, the rubber fittings to the filter should be replaced EVERY time the filter is changed. The old ones harden up and it's hard to get a good seal. If not sealed you can very easily end up with a "dusted" engine and no warranty will cover the rebuild. Air filters on a diesel are CRITICAL!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins