Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought a '06 Holiday Rambler from Camping World and they told me to let them keep it for a week to be detailed. We stayed in a motel because we had sold our house to be vacent the day the coach was detailed and ready for us to full time.
Long story short two weeks later we went in and cornered the manager, "Our coach was being washed", after a BS session with the service manager our rig showed up,(No service was done) they wanted it for another two weeks.
Did not happen, we needed some place to live, and had made an appointment to meet friends as per the time line we were promised by CW.
Oh yes-also no keys to the door, we did not find this out until we had gone 300 miles for the meeting-Got there and headed for the club house-Locked the door!!!
CW said they had the key and just forgot to give it to us--- CW Said come back and they would fix us up.(Called a locksmith to get us in), after the get together we went back to CW and they could not find the key, they called the service fibber and he told them where he had left it-DID NOT FIT-WRONG KEY.
NOT HAPPY CAMPER

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I don’t want to scare you or put a damper on the Phaeton you have purchased, but I own a 09 Phaeton, and here are some things that should have been done by now based on months in service, regardless of the mileage. If the dealer cannot provide records or contact info for the previous owner, I would suggest addressing each of these.

Chassis (assuming Freightliner), Englne and Transmission
Air Dryer Filter Kit Change
Axle Lubricant Change
Oil-Filled Hubs Oil Change
Engine Oil Change
Engine Oil Filter Change
Fuel Filter-Pressure Side - Change
Fuel Filter-Suction Side - Change
Air Filter Change
Coalascant Filter – located on top of engine. Access through panel on bedroom floor in front of the closet
Radiator Cleaning
Transmission Fluid Change
Transmission Filter Change

Generator
Oil Change
Oil Filter Change
Fuel Filter Change
Possible secondary fuel filter. Tiffin installed an inline fuel filter on some coaches. It would be located on the frame rail (approximately below the driver’s seat area) between the fuel tank and genset. I don't have one on mine, but a friend with an 09 Phaeton does.
Air Filter Change
Coolant drain & flush

Possible (probable) Tiffin warranty issues

Thermal cracking of roof radius rails
Wet bay floor rotting out
Stress crack at either one or both corners of the DS bedroom slide
Moisture intrusion at the front corner of the DS main slide. This will eventually lead to major rotting of the whole slide floor. This can only be repaired at Red Bay as they have to remove the entire slide.

These may have already been taken care of by the previous owner, but if there are no service records then you can call Tiffin (800) 283-3922, give them your serial number and tell them you are the new owner, and would like to know what they show on their records. If these issues haven’t been repaired they will let you know what your warranty status is.

Tiffin is great for standing behind their coaches and repairing out of warranty items, but they have gone through a bad spell from 2008 through 2011, and even some early 2012 coaches.

I would also have a professional take a good look at your tires. I would also have the batteries tested as they would be close to replacement time, if not already done.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is a buyer market, if they don't want to do what you have asked or not willing to do an oil change and get the keys, I would tell them that you are heading over to Lazy Days in FL. I bought my 08 Rev form Lazy days and they fixed everything I asked. Even the little things, the key with LD is don't leave till it all is done.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #18

Ouch..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
CW is apparently run by a bunch or morons. We had an electric awning repaired at CW in Katy, Texas. They had the RV for almost 3 weeks to to this little work under the extended warranty. First, they had not called the warranty company. Finally got that done and approved. When I went to pick up the RV, the paper work or the keys could not be found and the service writer and shop foreman were gone. I finally tracked down the store manager and told him of the problem...I wanted my trailer. About 30 minutes later here comes the porter with my trailer in tow and the keys in the door. Never did find where the paperwork or keys were hiding, the service manager and service writer never showed they face. I hooked up and left.

I wonder where they find these morons to hire. I normally will not take anything to CW to be worked on, but figured that they could handle something as simple as replacing the drive motor on an electric awning. The work was OK, just the poor follow through.

Ken
I'm sorry to hear that. There are two CW's here and we use both regularly. Once was an existing RV dealer that CW purchased and the other was built new as a CW. Both have been great to work with and have bent over backwards to work with us many times.

I think, like car dealers, you can get good ones and bad ones..

Here, I have Land Rover do all the work on my Jeep and the DW's PT Cruiser... not Dodge

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImanRVCowboy View Post
I have recently purchased a 2009 Tiffin Phaeton.
It is at Camping World, getting "spruced up" for me.
Although the mileage, is low (9000 mi.), it occurred to me that the motor oil and generator oil should be changed. The dealer is balking. For some "reason" they can find no maintenance records, or the door keys.
My wife wants to take delivery tomorrow. I am leery. Your advice is very welcome.

Thanks.
Get the carfax report. Make them provide it. Something is fishy.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #20

When I bought my used Sea Breeze, it looked like the stealer vacuumed everything that was not a manual out of my MH. There was nothing in it that a ball point pen had touched. When I asked the slicky-boy if he would ask the PO a question. He answered non-chalantly that he had already done that... Yeah right... like he knew the question was coming. Maybe he did, but a month later, he wasn't working there.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
This is a buyer market, if they don't want to do what you have asked or not willing to do an oil change and get the keys, I would tell them that you are heading over to Lazy Days in FL. I bought my 08 Rev form Lazy days and they fixed everything I asked. Even the little things, the key with LD is don't leave till it all is done.
Lazy Days should fix everything you ask as they have the most inflated prices around for motorhomes......
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #22

Price of an engine oil/generator oil change is a moot point, considering what you are spending.

Bring it to Speedco, have them change the oils, and be done with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImanRVCowboy View Post
I have recently purchased a 2009 Tiffin Phaeton.
It is at Camping World, getting "spruced up" for me.
Although the mileage, is low (9000 mi.), it occurred to me that the motor oil and generator oil should be changed. The dealer is balking. For some "reason" they can find no maintenance records, or the door keys.
My wife wants to take delivery tomorrow. I am leery. Your advice is very welcome.

Thanks.
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
I, like a lot of folks, have learned the hard way not to let CW touch their rigs. I don't know how they hire people, but they seem to get the ones with attitude mainly in the service department.

BTW, the CW that convinced me not to use CW is in San Martin, CA, just south of San Jose adjacent to Hwy 101.

Dean
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #24

1. The rig will run. It is the door keys that are missing. 2. At 9,000 miles I doubt there has been an oil change. 2,250 miles/year doesn't exactly beg for a change @ $250-350. I know the recommendation is annual changes at minimum, but this doesn't surprise me. Admittedly, the dealer should have done the oil change in anticipation of a sale.
3. Would be interesting to know how many hours are on the jenny. If they are minimal, it could explain the lack of service records.
4. Bought our rig used from Guaranty RV in Junction City, OR. Great gang. Very impressed.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They USED TO BE OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean0283 View Post
I, like a lot of folks, have learned the hard way not to let CW touch their rigs. I don't know how they hire people, but they seem to get the ones with attitude mainly in the service department.

BTW, the CW that convinced me not to use CW is in San Martin, CA, just south of San Jose adjacent to Hwy 101.

Dean
I used them to install some stuff on a motor home back in the early 90's and they did OK work then. But I've heard nothing good about them, or any CW, for a very long time. The rumor I heard was that they laid off anybody who'd been there long enough to know anything (and earn a decent wage) and hired new (and cheaper) folks.

I've said it before but I wouldn't trust then to install a roll of toilet paper.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #26

I went in to the one by me last week. They expanded their parts room by 10 fold. Didn't find the not so common part I was looking for so I asked at the counter. Woman looked at me like I was from Mars and said we don't carry that. Didn't even ask what it was for. I knew she was totally clueless.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #27

CW has a moron for a CEO for allowing this type of experience to be happening all over the country. I had a similar experience at the Oakwood, Ga. location and I swear they are bonused on how much they can piss off people. If getting inspection work done, demand a copy of the checklist that they are using before any work starts. Their idea of a comprehensive checklist is a joke.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #28

Post that on RV.net. The owner (Marcus) of CW and Good Sam responds to post like that. He even got one guy a new TT when they cut out a cross brace when installing an second AC unit.