Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #1

Changed oil on coach today

98 bounder 460 f53
Saw a member complaining some time back about the fill neck above the hood .

Makes adding oil interesting

Anyone have a home made funnel setup .
I used a flex funnel with a hose
Think I'm going to use some 3/4 hose next time
Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #2

How about one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6412_200596412
Just switch where the hoses go to pump IN oil instead of extract oil from the crankcase. Sure makes it easy to buy oil in gallon jugs instead of fooling with quarts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I built a funnel that is attached to some 1/2 inch PVC pipe and I then mount it by the fill hole using a pipe cleaner to hold it in place.

I buy all my oil in quarts as trying to pour from the bigger container doesn't work.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:02 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle427 View Post
98 bounder 460 f53
Saw a member complaining some time back about the fill neck above the hood .

Makes adding oil interesting

Anyone have a home made funnel setup .
I used a flex funnel with a hose
Think I'm going to use some 3/4 hose next time
I have the same chassis as you. I use a funnel to refill an empty pint bottle from my 5 qt bottle lol. Works well. Doesn't add too much time. Free.
Nominefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:00 AM   #5

I have tried funnels and transfer pumps without any luck (messy or too slow). I took a 2 1/2 gallon bucket, drilled a 1" hole at the bottom and inserted a threaded hose connector.
I now hookup the hose, place bucket on top step of 6' ladder, place fill hose in fill tube, dump 2 1/2 gallon jug of oil, return in 10 minutes and dump another 2 1/2 gallon jug of oil.

When finished I place bucket & drain hose inside a plastic trash bag.

Never had a mess.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #6

That fill neck is just dumb. I'm going to be removing it in the spring and replacing it with a 6 to 8 inch straight tube coming up so I can fill the oil from the doghouse.

The way it is now. You can get a quart bottle in there but it's not fun or easy. Having a bucket with a hose like a previous poster said would be a good setup.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
So what do the RV techs use to add oil? Anyone watch them change the oil in their rig?
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
So what do the RV techs use to add oil? Anyone watch them change the oil in their rig?
The one and only time I had it done by a tech he used quart bottles. Now I change it myself.
A point of interest, when I did my front end lube I discovered that tech had missed 2 of the grease nipples, it may take me a bit longer but at least I know it's done right.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #9

I don't know your exact setup, but it reminds me of a friend's RV, The fill tube extends above the "hood" opening. For her last oil change, we removed the PVC valve from the rocker cover and used a funnel - quick and easy!

Matt B
Old 09-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #10

That's been discussed much recently. I used the black quart bottle in this photo without the nozzle for my first couple of oil changes and just refilled it with a funnel from whatever my oil came in. The offset pour spout tips into the fill tube easily and pours easily.

The gray bottle is the same size as the oil bottles my oil comes in, and the pour spout won't fit into the fill tube. I found the nozzles on these bottles at Tractor Supply. They fit both sizes and work very easily in the fill nozzle on the coach.

I change the oil in the coach a couple of times a year, and it only takes seven quarts. I just don't find the problem to be so bad that I won't just keep doing this.

I also replaced the drain plug with a Fumoto valve to reduce the mess when draining the oil onto the front axle.

Now if I could just manage to remove the filter without spilling several ounces.
Attached Images