Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, what I thought would be a pretty simple task turned out to be a real PITA. The gen is a 7500 watt "Quiet Diesel". After gathering the needed supplies, I slid under the front of the rig and put a 3/8" socket on the oil drain plug. I ran the generator for about 5 minutes prior to warm the oil first. I quickly learned that the plug was nearly cemented into the drain hole. After about 5 minutes of grunting and groaning and nearly rounding off the head of the bolt, I finally got it to loosen. I wound up getting a hammer to tap the socket onto the bolt as far as it would go and braced a foot on the frame to get it to break loose.

I had the oil pan ready, so I loosend the nut by hand and promply dropped it in the oil pan. Figures. I had spread news paper around under the pan just in case, which was a good thing. Just as the oil starts pouring out, a breeze came up and blew oil all over the driveway and me. Figures. Finally get the oil drained and turn my attention to the filter.

Open the filter door, and see the filter fairly accessable. Well, it was installed by a gorilla as well. I had to get a large pair of channel lock pliers opened all the way up to grip the end of the filter to break it loose. Interestingly, the filter that came on the gen from the factory is quite a bit smaller than the replacement new filter. Even the documentation that came with the generator states that the new filter will be larger than the one the came from the factory. It must be because it was considered a "break in" filter, and only intended to be used for 50 hours.

After the old filter was off, the new filter and oil took 5 minutes to replace. It used 3 quarts of good quality diesel oil. The next change is not for 150 hours. The next one will be MUCH easier!

I saved about $100 bucks doing it myself from what the dealer wanted, and I know it was done right. All in all, it was still worth doing it myself.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, what I thought would be a pretty simple task turned out to be a real PITA. The gen is a 7500 watt "Quiet Diesel". After gathering the needed supplies, I slid under the front of the rig and put a 3/8" socket on the oil drain plug. I ran the generator for about 5 minutes prior to warm the oil first. I quickly learned that the plug was nearly cemented into the drain hole. After about 5 minutes of grunting and groaning and nearly rounding off the head of the bolt, I finally got it to loosen. I wound up getting a hammer to tap the socket onto the bolt as far as it would go and braced a foot on the frame to get it to break loose.

I had the oil pan ready, so I loosend the nut by hand and promply dropped it in the oil pan. Figures. I had spread news paper around under the pan just in case, which was a good thing. Just as the oil starts pouring out, a breeze came up and blew oil all over the driveway and me. Figures. Finally get the oil drained and turn my attention to the filter.

Open the filter door, and see the filter fairly accessable. Well, it was installed by a gorilla as well. I had to get a large pair of channel lock pliers opened all the way up to grip the end of the filter to break it loose. Interestingly, the filter that came on the gen from the factory is quite a bit smaller than the replacement new filter. Even the documentation that came with the generator states that the new filter will be larger than the one the came from the factory. It must be because it was considered a "break in" filter, and only intended to be used for 50 hours.

After the old filter was off, the new filter and oil took 5 minutes to replace. It used 3 quarts of good quality diesel oil. The next change is not for 150 hours. The next one will be MUCH easier!

I saved about $100 bucks doing it myself from what the dealer wanted, and I know it was done right. All in all, it was still worth doing it myself.

Sarge
Old 05-03-2007, 05:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have this task to do and I expect to go through exactly what you went through.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #4

Sarge

You and I muct have graduated from the same oil changing school. I have this to look forward to in the near future. I have a 2006 that I bought last month, so I think I will need to change the oil soon. Changed the engine oil last week and that was a learning experience. I took 3 phone calls to get the right amount of oil to put in the engine, from Cummins and Monaco. Thanks for the heads up s/Toby
Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm doing mine tomorrow (May 4th). However, this is the second time for my generator oil change and it will be much easier. I went through your experience the last time. I think the guys at the factory are laughing everyday that they torque the filters and drain plugs in place.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #6

ok , WELL WHAT IS THE TORQUE ON THE DRAIN BOLT/SCREW.

i WILL BE DOING MINE IN A FEW DAYS....
sCRATCH

2006 Itasca Meridian 39K
Scratch & Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, I changed the engine oil a few weeks ago. I thought that would be more difficult, but it turned out to be a breeze. This little job was a pain. Interestingly, the Onan manual did not list a torque for the oil plug. It just instructed you to "tighten the bolt securley to prevent leaks". I have put on hundreds of oil pan plugs without a drip, so I wasn't too worried. Just snugged it down, and checked it after I filled and ran the generator for about 5 minutes to circulate the new oil. No problems.

Just be very gentle with that plug, as I was close to screwing up the head of the bolt trying to get it out. I would recommend running the generator until it's hot, breaking the plug loose, then let it cool a little before you take it the rest of the way out to avoid getting burned by the hot oil. The hot metal will expand some, and should make the plug a little easier to break free.

Sarge
Old 05-04-2007, 04:58 AM   #8

Similar experiences here with first oil change, but subsequent one went smoothly.
Sarge, you comment about heat expanding the metal makes me wonder if someone would actually be be better off trying to break loose the bolt when the genset is cold, then lightly tighten it during the oil warm-up before removing it for draining. Maybe one of you guys who are doing the first change can "experiment"...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scratch & Goose:
ok , WELL WHAT IS THE TORQUE ON THE DRAIN BOLT/SCREW. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my Microquiet 4000 (gas) the manual says 21 Lbs/Ft or 27 N-m. I looked at the 7500 Quiet Diesel manual online (www.onan.com) and it only says to "tighten securely"...
SAR Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #10

I feel for you. I got lucky, bought the coach used and the dealer changed all the fluids before I took possesion. His 500# gorilla had the day off, so when I changed it a couple of months ago, it was pretty easy. I have Fumoto drain plugs on the coach and toad, so they are pretty easy. I try for calm mornings as there is now way to make the oil filter change out any less messy.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #11

That same gorilla put my plug in too...I had to bring mine to my local shop because I broke my wrench trying to get it loose...I have just received the Fumitomo oil drain plug with nipple that I will install...a very neat little device!!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Have any of you guys ever tried punching a hole in the bottom of your oil filter first to drain it, before removing it, way easier, and cleaner.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #13

Good Idea. On my genny the filter is in the side of the generator and there is absolutely no way to get it out without oil running down the side of the genny.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I might try that on the next go round as well. I managed to make a pretty good mess on the driveway.....