Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #15

Even the Goodyear dealership I purchased the Goodyear endurance tires from couldn’t answer exactly what psi to put the tires at . To achieve the highest speed rating it says to put tires at 65psi. But I’d never do 87mph.
The tire shows no minimum but looking at several other trailer tire manufacturers the minimum is 50. I’ll put the tires somewhere inbetween now and check to see that the entire tread is on the road ( too much psi your only tiding in the center of the tire too little your riding on the edges)
Supposedly this particular trailer tire has 8 plys with additional strength on the sides to compensate for downward pressure.
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #16

Running you tires at max " rated " pressure is not going to make then run on the center of the tread. If that was the case, the top of the tire would be round like a cartoon tire.

If you look inside the tire, its round in there, only the outside tread is squared.

You may loose some contact area across the tread from higher pressures effecting braking and ride stiffness but the tire will run cooler and evenly.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #17

You should know that if you suspect a tire is low, proper inflation can be easily verified after running the tire at speed just a few miles and can be done with no special tools. You use your hand to measure the tire temp. If it's low it will be warmer, and you won't be able to leave your hand on it. If it's real low, to the point there's a good chance of a tire failure, it's going to be very hot! If you like, you can compare the tire in question to other tires on your rig, looking for some uniformity. Tires running in the sun are quite likely going to run a little hotter while traveling in the south or during warmer weather.

Regarding anything heard at a "dealership" whether a tire dealer or otherwise, it would be in you best self interest to have verified by outside sources.

Yes, there are some good ones, but ones that are completely clueless outnumber them by 50:1.

The only way to verify which you are speaking with is to verify the info. Once that's been checked and found good a few times, THEN you know you've found a dealer/salesman you can trust - usually.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Changed tires on my tow dolly higher psi?

I have always run my trailer tires at max psi . My logic is that is the way my commercial trailer tires were run as we didn’t know the weight from load to load so they were set to handle the max. I never ran at the max load but the trailer shop always told me Over inflated tires are better than under inflated especially on trailers. Setting the tires lower to weight is mostly for ride quality , as in softer ride, that doesn’t matter much on a dolly or trailer as I’m not riding in it. I only lowered the psi when the dolly is run by itself to keep bounce down . Tire wear doesn’t seem to be effected by the max pressure . I ran about 10,000 miles on a dolly I also run a higher load rated tire than original d not c .....or on my car hauler ( 20,000) miles E not D . My thinking is Higher pressure , less flex , lowered tire temp, less blowout chance. Many seem to disagree but that’s just the way I roll [emoji6]
Old 11-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #19

Ever notice the dollies running around minus fenders, guys complaining about other dolly failures (e.g. ramps)? Those are the guys playing it safe with tire pressure as well. Running at max and letting the dollies rattle to death.

I get it regarding commercial trailers that have widely varying loads, but that's about the only instance I can think of where taking the easy road and always running max pressure makes sense.

OK done here. Do as you wish.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #20

Hey Gary I’m not ignoring it , I’m gathering the facts from knowledgeable people on the forum boards. As previously stated, I’m putting the psi above 50 but definitely below 65.
What I don’t need is a person being a smart a$$ telling me that I’m going to ignore comments. If I was going to ignore I wouldn’t have written on this board.
Are you one of those people that sits ( hides) behind your phone making lewd comments?
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:47 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
Hey Gary I’m not ignoring it , I’m gathering the facts from knowledgeable people on the forum boards. As previously stated, I’m putting the psi above 50 but definitely below 65.
What I don’t need is a person being a smart a$$ telling me that I’m going to ignore comments. If I was going to ignore I wouldn’t have written on this board.
Are you one of those people that sits ( hides) behind your phone making lewd comments?
Gary RVRoamer is a well respected RV Guru on this and other websites. The issue I believe he was commenting about ignoring wasn't the tire pressure, but your speeding. You stated in post #1, "The road rating of the dolly only states 55 mph on the road. Rarely happened on the interstate. More like 65-70 mph." That suggests you drive a loaded RV with a tow dolly at a speed greater than recommended by the manufacturer of one of your pieces of equipment.

I see nothing in Gary's response that was, "being a smart a$$" or inferred he, "one of those people that sits ( hides) behind your phone making lewd comments?"

Relax.

On the highway, resist peer pressure to drive faster than is recommended safe and save fuel by slowing down a bit. Also, if you are really concerned about tire health, buy a TPMS for the RV, dolly, and at least the rear tires of the Toyota and monitor tire pressures in real time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #22

All this discussion and a lot of opinions. Here's one more. I have set the tire pressures on every trailer, service truck, motorhome, boat trailer, and yes even a tow dolly over the last 50+ years based on a load chart for the tire. Put the new tires on, load up the car and go to a scale. Once you have the weight each tire is carrying, set the pressure to the load chart. Add a few pounds of pressure for peace of mind and forget the rest. Add a TPMS and hit the road. The correct "cold" pressure for any tire will give the best traction, best ride, and longest life. I guess I will never understand why people try to outsmart the tire manufacturers load inflation charts.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #23

Commercial Member

Goodyear Endurance info HERE

If you run any speed higher than 65 on ST type tires you MUST run the tire sidewall pressure to achieve the stated load capacity at speed.

I would suggest the 55 mph max speed limit is based at least partially on the stability of the dolly and the vehicle being towed including the capabilities of the brake system on the dolly.

I do support confirming the actual load on the dolly tires which should be at least 15% lower than the tire or dolly load capacity.

Tags
dolly, tires, tow, tow dolly