Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Changing air dryer

Has anyone changed the air dryer filter on a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery on a Freightliner XCS chassis? How hard was it and what brand of air dryer filter is it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I don't know your skill level at doing your own repairs, so I really can't tell you "How hard is it?" It doesn't require special tools. Check with Freightliner to find the proper parts. Often if you have your VIN handy you can find a complete listing of all parts, filters, etc. installed on your chassis. Also search on the forum and on line, many 'DIY' videos and procedures available for most jobs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine is an 07 Excursion and I changed it a few months ago. It is a Haldex DQ6050. I was able to put a jack under it, and there was enough room for me to sit up on one side of the drive shaft, reach over the drive shaft and change it. It was easy, 4 bolts, take some clean rags to clean up any oil residue, then replace it with the new one.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
You need to get under your coach and determine exactly which air dryer is installed. Some have a simple screw on/screw off filter, others are a bit more involved. If you still have your owners information literature, that should tell you what you have. Or, call Freightliner with your chassis VIN and they can tell you what they installed when they manufactured the chassis. Otherwise, contact the coach manufacturer. They have been known to modify what Freightliner installed originally.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our DSDP it's up under the passenger side frame rails by the engine. Kind of hard to get to and I broke a fabric strap wrench trying to got the OEM one off. Had to go to NAPA and get a large metal filter wrench, it's even larger than the LF9009 oil filter one.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:01 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
The air dryer on your chassis is located just after the axle on the drivers side, or at least that is where they put them on the 39L, 40E, 38N, and 38S with CAT engines. I doubt your was moved anywhere else, but if so, post where you found it.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

thanks for the replies to my inquiry on the air dryer. I am going to call freightliner to make sure I order the correct filter then try and get my body underneath the coach.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You will need a good strap wrench or adjustable chain wrench to get the filter off. They can be stubborn. Also be sure you bleed all the air out of the system before you attempt to remove the desiccant/filter or it can get messy too. Changed mine last year. It was the orginal and was over due. Good luck.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote