Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
faye, Which National do you have? Is your slide sitting on 3 black plastic skids? I just did my 2001 Tradewinds and really learned a lot.

what about giving us some of those things you learned as it may help us as we progress... will look closer at the slides tomorrow but did look like some kind of tracts.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
what about giving us some of those things you learned as it may help us as we progress... will look closer at the slides tomorrow but did look like some kind of tracts.
First off as to using an additional moisture barrier your instructions sheet with the pergo should tell you .

It sounds like you may have the same slide system with the three skids. If I had it all to do over I would have left a width of carpet under the skids like you are doing. WHY? Because when I pulled all the padding and carpet out it caused my slide to drop down enough that when retracting I heard a scraping noise. I thought it was just the skids moving on bare wood, WRONG, it was the self tapping screws that attach the bay door hinge gouging the fiberglass bottom of the slide. You may not have this problem since evidently National knew the screws were too long as some were shorter. I replaced all the screws on two bay door hinges and there are over 15 per hinge. Even after changing out the screws my slide had a slight hesitation as it was coming in, this was caused by the edge of the slide bumping up against the edge of the main floor. If I had left carpet in there I would not have had this problem as the carpet eased the slide edge over the main floor edge. The final thing that made me decide to not use laminate where the slide comes in was the possibility of damage to the laminate from the slide skids. I learned from Vegasdan that the slides with the 3 skids may scratch any hard surface due to the fact that they appear to be attached to the slide by screws that were either not set in all the way or were screwed in at an angle leaving enough of a head to gouge/scratch what ever it travels over. BTW, both of us have 2001 Tradewinds. So, before you lay that beautiful floor, try moving your slide in and out with a piece of the same laminate you intend to install so that each of the skids pass over it. You may need to hold it in place with your feet while the slide (hopefully) glides over it. Infact mine not only scratched the test piece of laminate (left over from house job) but it scratched up the main plywood floor. This was the reason that I went with Carpet Tiles as for some reason the protruding screws don't hang up on carpet. I am installing laminate on the stairs and stair slide cover. Also I installed laminate from the stairs to the carpet just behind the driver and passenger chairs, kinda like a walk way between the seats. Finally, when I installed my carpet tiles I pushed them in enough under the slide so that they ended up at the same position as the factory carpet. This wasn't easy as I had to move the slide in and out as I positioned the tiles. But it was worth it as my slide now glides in and out as before with no bumps and groans. Also, by doing this I eliminated the possibility of having an open space btween the slide bottom and floor where you can actually see outsde giving you a good chance of having a huge draft crack from one end of the slide to the other. By you leaving in that section of carpet you may have avoided this potential problem.
Good luck, hope you have a better set up then I did on the skids so that you can use laminate where the slide comes in. On the bedroom, we are going with regular carpet. We did this on our S & B when we installed laminate and are glad we did as it is nice on a cool morning to get out of bed and set your bare feet on good warm carpet.
Currently, Lowes and H.D. have a special on carpet installation 39 bucks for the whole house, having a hard time getting them to understand that our MH is our home for 1/2 the year so that we can get the current special.

Let us know how you make out on the slide over the laminate.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
did you install the allure up to the slide or did you stick the allure slightly under the edge of the slide,,,,if so how did you hold the allure down? thanks
I decided to go with a +/- 1-1/2 inch metal transition designed to go from carpet to tile or vinyl. It has a "beveled" edge that I placed at the slide slot with the "bevel" at the slot and the main body on the non-slide floor portion. This was ascrewed down to insure that the edge remained stationary. After the installation, I could tell it was catching a little, so I used a 2x4 piece and a hammer to to enhance the amount of "bevel" so it wouldn't catch. Works well.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to katie belle
We are installing Allure in our Endeavor MH and would like to put a vinyl in the stairwell, but don't know where to get it. Any recommendations?
katie belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie belle View Post
We are installing Allure in our Endeavor MH and would like to put a vinyl in the stairwell, but don't know where to get it. Any recommendations?
check my dec 09 post of my stairwell with allure installation with pics. i used double-back tape and wood baseboard material. this installation is holding up very well. we live in this moho full-time.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie belle View Post
Are you asking where to buy sheet vinyl? The flooring departments in Lowe's, Home Depot to every specialty flooring company will sell sheet vinyl.

Edit: I've asked a couple times about Allure stating in their instructions to not install the flooring if you house temperature will ever exceed 95 degrees as this will melt the flooring and adheshive and the flooring should not be exposed to temps below 15 degrees. Nobody ever responded so I'll ask again. I'm just concerned that the ambient summer temps in the high 90's (I measured 138 inside the motorhome) will effect the Allure.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Are you asking where to buy sheet vinyl? The flooring departments in Lowe's, Home Depot to every specialty flooring company will sell sheet vinyl.

Edit: I've asked a couple times about Allure stating in their instructions to not install the flooring if you house temperature will ever exceed 95 degrees as this will melt the flooring and adheshive and the flooring should not be exposed to temps below 15 degrees. Nobody ever responded so I'll ask again. I'm just concerned that the ambient summer temps in the high 90's (I measured 138 inside the motorhome) will effect the Allure.

I've had Allure in the RV for 3 years, no problems yet. Live in NH and this summer we hit 90+ for several weeks. Right now it is 28 outside.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
We live in Oklahoma, and temps get below zero, and well above 95. I have had no issues with allure not staying down.

Pat
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Slide Lap without carpet

I would like to remove the carpet and replace with a hard floor of some sort. Beside the dinette and the sofa, the carpet extends over the edge of the slide to hide the transition gap. Will I need to leave the carpet in this area or is there a sheet goods or tile that can flex but be strong enough to stand the shear force of standing on the sharp edge of the slide?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt View Post
I would like to remove the carpet and replace with a hard floor of some sort. Beside the dinette and the sofa, the carpet extends over the edge of the slide to hide the transition gap. Will I need to leave the carpet in this area or is there a sheet goods or tile that can flex but be strong enough to stand the shear force of standing on the sharp edge of the slide?
check my post #33 in this thread and follow the links for pictures of my allure flooring installation. click on dan l and click on more posts and go to posts in nov 2009. it is on page 9. this may answer your questions.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
check my post #33 in this thread and follow the links for pictures of my allure flooring installation. click on dan l and click on more posts and go to posts in nov 2009. it is on page 9. this may answer your questions.
Thanks for the info. Clicky Nice Job. Unfortunately, my slide lowers down flush so the 1" extension of carpet lies atop the rest of the carpet.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt View Post
Thanks for the info. Clicky Nice Job. Unfortunately, my slide lowers down flush so the 1" extension of carpet lies atop the rest of the carpet.
can you post some pictures? maybe you don't have to overlap the flooring and can just butt the allure where it is flat with the slide out. i would use double back tape on both sides to make sure that the gap doesn't grow. allure is very thin, much thinner than carpet.
my floor has been installed for a year now and it is working well. my only issue is that it is necessary to put down 8 strips of spare allure for the slide to slide on when we retract it. it is probably staples that we could not reach under the slide that scratched the floor a little the first time we retracted the slide. installing the strips is not a problem for us. you can see about 1'' of the strips when the slide is in. when it is out, we pick them up.
if i had it to do again, i would use a lot more leveling compound to really level the floor before installing the allure. the high spots show some when the light is right.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #41

Had all carpet ripped out, including under sofa.

Re-installed matching carpet in cabin area, after treating floor under side windows with thompsons water seal.

Had large commercial vinyl tiles installed thru out house.

One thing I failed to do. I should have sanded the base floor or planed it.

Small dimples show up in tile.

Used thompsons on slide floor and around slide opening.

By removing all carpet, I eliminated source of storage odors.

96 Dolphin 36' 454
trpwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
at the RV Rally this past weekend, one of the vendors talked about a product called "Dura Ceramic", it is suppose to be more flexibile than regular tile, and lower price.

We actually had that put in our brick and stick kitchen...it is a recycled product, too, so it is 'green'. We love it; it is very durable and looks like ceramic tile. Better cushioning underfoot, too.
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote