Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #1

Changing flooring (from carpet to laminate or ??)

We are considering pulling out the carpet and linoleum from our MH. We have considered going with laminate from front to back to clean it up a bit.

I've heard there is also a type of flooring that is an adhesive square that looks like laminate, is much lighter weight and perhaps a little more rugged for camping.
Any ideas or experiences on this?

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have slideouts just make sure your's has the rollers that roll over the flooring not skids. Our's has the skids and we put in laminate flooring (not the thick variety). When the slide came in it scratched the new laminate. We have kept it and put a nice area rug over it when the slide is out, which we would have done anyway to protect the laminate. Also be aware that you need to bevel the front edge of the laminate where the slide out comes in and climbs over the coach floor.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Another option is rubber flooring - http://www.karndeanusa.com/site/home.cfm
We have installed many new floors, both laminate & rubber (over 100 coaches) and when it came time to do my own it was an easy decision, rubber. Laminate is thicker and would’ve shorten upped the head room (less then a ½”, but a ½” is a ½”) and when a water leak happens it will buckle. Also installing lam takes a lot more labor hours making all the precise cuts around cabinets and other obstacles. The rubber comes in both tile & wood look, easy to install (cuts with a knife) glued down with a pressure sensitive adhesive, and if when something happens (scratch, cut, tear, burn, etc..) easily to replace individual pieces, unlike laminate.
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
Another option is rubber flooring. The rubber comes in both tile & wood look, easy to install (cuts with a knife) glued down with a pressure sensitive adhesive, and if when something happens (scratch, cut, tear, burn, etc..) easily to replace individual pieces, unlike laminate.
An interesting product line. The web site says the flooring is premium vinyl (on recycled PVC). They also stress several times it is not a DIY product. The web site is not to helpful on getting relevant information as you are required to register to get more product or dealer information. However, it might be good in a RV environment. I am still waiting for some longer term owner reports on Allure flooring especially how the joints are adhering and any shrinkage.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
at the RV Rally this past weekend, one of the vendors talked about a product called "Dura Ceramic", it is suppose to be more flexibile than regular tile, and lower price.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #6

My MH has carpet under the furniture, sofa and dinette. Do you remove that carpet as well or leave it for sound dampining?
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I haven't read all of the post above, but an idea my pop told me about. It's like the tongue and grove square tiles but they are flexible, water resistance and you can cut to fit with scissor. He bought the flooring @ Home Depot. I'm not sure what it's call but it's highly recommended for kitchens and bath rooms. Something I plan to pot in my MH. Just a thought. It doesn't stick or glue down. It's a somewhat floating floor. However you need a good sub floor so your floor can not be soft or spongy...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We installed laminate. I removed the sofa and removed the carpet but didn't install the new flooring where it didn't show so I would have some spare pieces in case ours did what Vegas Dan's did. We have rollers on our slide and so far, about 18 months, no problems. Here is a link to the in progress pictures. Floor Project - Windows Live we love the floor, much easier to keep clean and the rugs don't slide around like they did on the carpet.

Dick
Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we installed allure laminate from home depot in dec 2009. it is holding up very well. the first time we retracted the slides, it scratched the allure in 8 places. to keep it from getting worse, we use 8 spare strips on the floor when we retract the slides. this is working very well for us.
i made a post in dec 09 with pictures of our installation. i suppose it is somewhere in the archives.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
Another option is rubber flooring - http://www.karndeanusa.com/site/home.cfm
We have installed many new floors, both laminate & rubber (over 100 coaches) and when it came time to do my own it was an easy decision, rubber. Laminate is thicker and would’ve shorten upped the head room (less then a ½”, but a ½” is a ½”) and when a water leak happens it will buckle. Also installing lam takes a lot more labor hours making all the precise cuts around cabinets and other obstacles. The rubber comes in both tile & wood look, easy to install (cuts with a knife) glued down with a pressure sensitive adhesive, and if when something happens (scratch, cut, tear, burn, etc..) easily to replace individual pieces, unlike laminate.

how much does this rubber flooring cost???????????
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was considering the Allure flooring until I read the temperature limitations stated in the installation manual. 95 degrees max...our mh will reach temps of over 120 degrees while in storage.

Copied from the Allure Installation Manual:

Heat and cold resistant: allure
planks can be frozen without damage.
Our adhesive can get down to 15 degrees
Fahrenheit (or -10 degrees Celsius).You can
put allure in the freezer, I don’t know why
you would, but be our guest. allure can
take the heat and definitely can stay in the
kitchen — but if you let your home get over
95º F for an extended period of time, you
will damage the floor and melt the
adhesive — if you let your house stay over
95º F degrees for an extended period of
time, all your furniture might melt! That’s just
too darn hot.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #12

I think it is called floating vinyl plank flooring. I have it in my apartment. I have seen it at Home Depot also.
thepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
WOW, that's a fantastic job! If your located on the east coast, give me your number...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just finished installing Allure. We took out the combination of tile and carpet, leaving the carpet in the drivers area and the carpet that was on the slide. It went very well. So far no slide scratching. We carefully examined that aspect before proceeding. Out coach doesn't have rollers. but the "bars" don't touch the flooring. They did leave a slight imprint on the old carpet, but the allure is thinner than that. The trickiest part is the floor to slide area. You must keep separation at that point or the slide will tear up what you just placed.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote